Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

budmonster

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA
This just started this morning. I was camping all weekend, left my 6s in the tent, woke up this morning & the tent was cold & wet, dew, etc. iPhone seem fined but was dead. I tried turning it on and the insert cable screen came up, whatever you want to call it.

I plugged it into my car charger on the ride home. I checked the phone 10 minutes later and it wasn't on. I pressed the power button and turned on so I left it alone. I didn't notice until later that the phone was just shutting back off. I figured I would let it die but I cant find a way to do it? Anyways, I got home and used my wall charger. 6s turns on, sits at the Apple screen for 1 minute & then turns off.

Any idea what my options are? I have no idea what is going on as it was fine all weekend.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I would suspect water damage. Which is a hardware issue.

Since you posted this in the jailbreak forum I am assuming your phone is jailbroken. But since you are on 9.3.3 that would mean a semi-untethered jailbreak, which therefore should have your phone booting in stock mode.

Since you have a semi-untethered jailbreak it can't be a tweak and getting to Safe Mode doesn't apply here.

If you have a backup you could try restoring/upgrading in DFU Mode and then restoring from your backup if this is successful.

The only other thing it could be is that you ran out of power and with the semi-untethered jailbreaks that's not really a good thing. But a DFU restore/upgrade would fix that if this is the case.

Otherwise, given hardware damage it's a matter of replacement.

PS. The screen you mention is called Recovery Mode (which is different than DFU mode).

budmonster

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA
I would suspect water damage. Which is a hardware issue.

Since you posted this in the jailbreak forum I am assuming your phone is jailbroken. But since you are on 9.3.3 that would mean a semi-untethered jailbreak, which therefore should have your phone booting in stock mode.

Since you have a semi-untethered jailbreak it can't be a tweak and getting to Safe Mode doesn't apply here.

If you have a backup you could try restoring/upgrading in DFU Mode and then restoring from your backup if this is successful.

The only other thing it could be is that you ran out of power and with the semi-untethered jailbreaks that's not really a good thing. But a DFU restore/upgrade would fix that if this is the case.

Otherwise, given hardware damage it's a matter of replacement.

PS. The screen you mention is called Recovery Mode (which is different than DFU mode).

I didn't know the 9.3.3 Pangu jailbreak was semi. So no matter what I do I'm going to lose my jailbreak is what you're saying? Nothing I can do to get out of this? I've ran out of power before tons of times, phone died. I don't get how my phone dying can cause this?

When I turn my 6s on it's black screen with the Apple logo. On my wife's 6s, her screen is white. So something is going on here.

Edit: I don't think it was water damage. The phone wasn't wet at all unless somehow moisture go into it, but the phone was working that morning. I was able to get the cable charging screen to pop up. I turned my phone off last night, This morning I turned it on and I got that cord splash screen telling me I need to charge my phone. I can't get that screen anymore. I need to somehow get my phone to completely die.

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I didnt know the 9.3.3 Pangu jailbreak was semi. So no matter what I do I'm going to lose my jailbreak is what you're saying? Nothing I can do to get out of this?
The last fully untethered jailbreak was 9.1.

If you are using an app to run a jailbreak on the phone every time you reboot, it's semi-untethered.

I do not believe you can rescue this. but I do recall one case where there was a problem like yours and the OP in that thread let their phone sit off I think and charge for a while, then turned it back on and was able to use it again.

You could try that, you could also ask over at the Reddit Jailbreak page as there are much more people over there with more experience on this than me.

But if it's hardware damage then there's really no way to get around it.

budmonster

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA
The last fully untethered jailbreak was 9.1.

If you are using an app to run a jailbreak on the phone every time you reboot, it's semi-untethered.

I do not believe you can rescue this. but I do recall one case where there was a problem like yours and the OP in that thread let their phone sit off I think and charge for a while, then turned it back on and was able to use it again.

You could try that, you could also ask over at the Reddit Jailbreak page as there are much more people over there with more experience on this than me.

But if it's hardware damage then there's really no way to get around it.

Yes, I posted over on Reddit as well. Thanks for the help. Maybe some other people here can chime in. Couldn't I just update to the latest iOS? Plug my phone into my PC, open iTunes, do the DFU or restore thing you where talking about and update to the latest version of iOS. Yes, I lose JB but my phone will be saved?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Yes, I posted over on Reddit as well. Thanks for the help. Maybe some other people here can chime in. Couldn't I just update to the latest iOS? Plug my phone into my PC, open iTunes, do the DFU or restore thing you where talking about and update to the latest version of iOS. Yes, I lose JB but my phone will be saved?
Well, that was one of the things I mentioned to try.

If it works then you know it's not hardware damage but the fact that your phone ran out it's battery.

budmonster

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA
Well, that was one of the things I mentioned to try.

If it works then you know it's not hardware damage but the fact that your phone ran out it's battery.

You mentioned to just update to the latest iOS? If that is what I should try and what you recommend at this point, how do I do that again? Do I need to simply open iTunes and plug my phone in or do I have to go into some kind of mode first since my phone wont turn on fully? Its been a while so I dont know what am I doing lol. Could explain the steps if you dont mind. Also, will this wipe my entire phone, videos, photos, etc. Thats all I care about.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
You mentioned to just update to the latest iOS? If that is what I should try and what you recommend at this point, how do I do that again? Do I need to simply open iTunes and plug my phone in or do I have to go into some kind of mode first since my phone wont turn on fully? Its been a while so I dont know what am I doing lol. Could explain the steps if you dont mind. Also, will this wipe my entire phone, videos, photos, etc. Thats all I care about.
I can give you the steps, but yes it will cause you to lose all your data. But if you have a backup you can restore from that when done.

1. Open iTunes on a computer.
2. Turn off phone.
3. Connect phone to cable connected to computer.
4. Put iPhone in DFU Mode
5. When iTunes detects a phone in recover mode, upgrade and restore as new.

Reactions: budmonster

jr866gooner

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013

I can give you the steps, but yes it will cause you to lose all your data. But if you have a backup you can restore from that when done.

1. Open iTunes on a computer.
2. Turn off phone.
3. Connect phone to cable connected to computer.
4. Put iPhone in DFU Mode
5. When iTunes detects a phone in recover mode, upgrade and restore as new.

How did it go OP?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.