Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

areudum

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 13, 2021
i figured i would summarize some of the advantages and disadvantages Ive experienced. This might be a much better solution, if people could do the same, instead of just writing “Airpods x is better”.
Of course, using them for a longer time would bring about a more detailed review, but i still think my first impression is better written than most youtubers who got them early and still fail to say anything other than reading up the specs.

For starters, lets talk about the case. The lid now opens up much more smoothly- no more hinge movement!
it does however smack just as loud when you close it.

the Base is more prounced. I can also feel my body “shake”, similar to a good subwoofer. finally.

spatial audio is both a hit and a miss. Sometimes it makes the sound (whether video or audio) better and sometimes worse.
i think the worst problem is the fact that these airpods have a horribly, tiny volume. I have to increase the volume a lot just to get the same amount of volume as with both airpods 2 and earpods.

On that note, even when the volume is the same, the clarity can still be lower than the previous model. By this i mean how well it plays out things like background music and other instruments that are not in focus. It can sound boring, but this depends: the placement of the airpods have a great influence on how well the music sounds. its all about fit.

The fit is very subjective. For me, the airpods 2 fit was perfect. These ones are not, but they still sit fairly well. I dunno were they got the idea of curving the airpods so much. When i place the airpods juuust right, the music sounds alot better. this is still time consuming, so a minus point from me.

the shorter stem is awesome. I have no idea why i would want to use the squueze function, but hey, it might be useful for some people while outside. speaking of outside, these airpods really dont have any isolation to speak of, as expected.

apple likes to make these cases and airpods as fat and greasy retaining as possible. If you are quick to get sweaty or oily hands, dont expect any surprises here, as apple has done nothing to better this. The case also scratches as easily as the previous models. I already got two scratches, and i dont even know how. my case has literally been resting on top of my bed. Next we know, the airpods might get scratched just by existing.

they pair up to the iphone and ipad fine. No trouble here.

overall, not recommended as an upgrade from airpods 2, especially if the airpods 2 fit really well. But if you dont have airpods or the previous models dont fit very well/has a very bad bettery, go for it.
Alternatively, i would recommend to wait until the price goes down a bit.

Last edited:

DMG35

Contributor
May 27, 2021
Sounds like they just don't fit you, which is making a big impact on how they sound. The 3rd gen are a perfect fit for me and they sound miles better than the 2nd gen. There is zero reason to stay on the previous gen for me compared to these new ones. Everything about them is better.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
Everyone saying the sound is so much better…

Are you sure it’s not just because these fit more snugly and more perfectly direct the sound that is there into your ear?

That sort of thing is not unheard of with in ear and on ear headphones

Reactions: macdmc

areudum

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 13, 2021
Everyone saying the sound is so much better…

Are you sure it’s not just because these fit more snugly and more perfectly direct the sound that is there into your ear?

That sort of thing is not unheard of with in ear and on ear headphones
Who knows. I did mention that fitting was important. Ive found that if i turn the stems more horizontal, they sound much better.

Cancelled
Jul 3, 2013
They definitely feel more bulbous and less comfortable than the original AirPods for me, but the sound quality is far superior with much improved bass.

Aside from feeling slightly too big my only criticism is the squeeze stems. A poor solution for running and many work outs, tapping was easy to do.

Overall I like them, sound quality, especially bass is fantastic, coming from gen 1 AirPods the H1 chip has some nice improvements and I like the MagSafe charging, mic quality has improved.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
What I find interesting is that, with the AP2 the speaker is 90 degrees to the stem, and if the stem sits where it normally does in your ears (slightly forward angle from directly downwards), then the speaker is actually facing upwards in your ear.

With the AP3 and the new design, with the stem at the same slightly forward angle, the speaker faces straight into your ears, as opposed to upwards like the AP2.

Hope that made sense, just a pondering really.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
They definitely feel more bulbous and less comfortable than the original AirPods for me, but the sound quality is far superior with much improved bass.

Aside from feeling slightly too big my only criticism is the squeeze stems. A poor solution for running and many work outs, tapping was easy to do.

Overall I like them, sound quality, especially bass is fantastic, coming from gen 1 AirPods the H1 chip has some nice improvements and I like the MagSafe charging, mic quality has improved.
The bass is without doubt improved in the AP3, but do you feel that the highs just get walked over by the bass? For example, in "Lucky", and "Street Spirit" by Radiohead, a lot of the guitar and high-hat than can be heard on the AP2 just gets destroyed by bass on the AP3

Reactions: Jayson A

boak

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2021
Remember how they talked about the EarPods' shape? Like it was designed according to the geometry of the ear etc.

That design has now been thrown out the window for the AirPods Pro and AirPods (3rd generation).

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
Remember how they talked about the EarPods' shape? Like it was designed according to the geometry of the ear etc.

That design has now been thrown out the window for the AirPods Pro and AirPods (3rd generation).
Exactly…..they made a fancy video and their marketing was all about how long they studied the human ear, etc etc. instead of designing around a purpose they design around an idea to make stuff now…..”hey we need noise cancelling”….“ok boss That’ll change the design a lot though“…..”I don’t care just do the best you can“. Seems to be the mentality lately apple to make money. Which I get. But apple was doing just fine making money with slow and careful innovation instead of just trying to get into markets, etc.

Homepod was a perfect example of Apple today….they made an incredibly awesome speaker……around a voice assistant that is MEH. So the sound is meaningless if the assistant is half garbage…..just like an amazing sounding airpod is garbage if it doesn’t fit half the peoples ears. I know the OG pods didn’t fit some people but it was the design since the wired ….since 2012! eight years and the AirPods became the most popular product in apple history since the iPhone or iPad.

Reactions: boak

Cancelled
Jul 3, 2013
The bass is without doubt improved in the AP3, but do you feel that the highs just get walked over by the bass? For example, in "Lucky", and "Street Spirit" by Radiohead, a lot of the guitar and high-hat than can be heard on the AP2 just gets destroyed by bass on the AP3
Maybe a touch but I think overall the audio experience has been much improved.

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
For me AP3 sound way better than AP2, the sound is just more immersive and voluminous, similar to having a pair of small vs big speakers. I can hear a very good base, which does not muffle the highs either. A great sound experience for such a small package, IMO, I am very pleased.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Unless you bought the speaker to listen to things, rather than as an imaginary friend…. For me, the sound is quite meaningful.

Same here, I do like their sound. I think the point was that Siri as the main interface for that nice sounding speaker (leaving AirPlay options aside) leaves a lot to be desired - which is a fair point too.
Although compared to my HomePods the Siri performance on my iPhone with iOS 15 is way way worse.

CaptFuzzyBuns

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2016
I love the improvements coming from AirPod 2's, but ended up sending my 3's back today due to the right AirPod having a crackling/buzzing sound at all times. Any one else experience this?

Cancelled
Jul 3, 2013
I love the improvements coming from AirPod 2's, but ended up sending my 3's back today due to the right AirPod having a crackling/buzzing sound at all times. Any one else experience this?
Nope, mine have been solid from about 2 hours of use.

I'll be getting Apple Care on these things after seeing all of the issues people had with APP.

Reactions: CaptFuzzyBuns

perezr10

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
Monroe, Louisiana
I’m not disagreeing with you on the guitar and high-hat getting crushed. But I see these AirPod 3s like the HomePod Mini. If you don’t want the high-hat to get crushed, you gotta step up to the big HomePod or AirPods Max if you want it all. The AP2 can separate more at the top end but at the expense of the low.

Last edited:

Deacon-Blues

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2012
California
I just received my AirPods 3. These are the best sounding ear phones I have ever had. The Atmos Dolby thing is really weird but pretty incredible to experience. I like my music with good bass but I also like a very bright sound. One of my test songs is "This Is It" by Kenny Loggins, which has pretty prominent cymbals and high hat parts. And they are coming through really nicely. The second test is Steely Dan's "Deacon Blues," which also has prominent cymbals. Another favorite, "Lifeline" by Jamiroquai, also nicely demonstrates the bright side of these babies. Very happy with the high end on these. I'm thrilled with them. So comfortable too.

Last edited:

MacGiver

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2007
France
Coming from AP2 I am having a hard time getting used to remove and put my AirPods back in the case. I find it less « natural/user friendly » to do. I guess I will get used to it.
Do you see what I mean?

Reactions: macdmc and BB-8

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
Coming from AP2 I am having a hard time getting used to remove and put my AirPods back in the case. I find it less « natural/user friendly » to do. I guess I will get used to it.
Do you see what I mean?
100%

Muscle memory.... they face each other in the case as opposed to away from each other for starters, and also just a bit too slippery to just "grab" out, you have to fumble a bit to stick a thumb/finger in the ear-grill recess to take them out

Last edited:

curdy

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2009
BC, Canada
100%

Muscle memory.... they face each other in the case as opposed to away from each other for starters, and also just a bit too slippery to just "grab" out, you have to fumble a bit to stick a thumb/finger in the ear-grill recess to take them out
Coming from the APP, pull the top of the AirPod forward toward you and they easily come out of the charging case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.