Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

David7522

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 20, 2019
Canada
iPhone 7

Delete the Facebook app and the background data (very important), delete other apps that you don’t use but also the background data Related to that app

Getting rid of Facebook and its stored background data is the key. Delete it from with in Settings, not by just holding it till it wiggles.

I did a hard reset between every step.

Open up iTunes on your computer. Back up your iPhone. Also back it up on iCloud if you use that too

Use iTunes to restore your phone as new

This is the only way to truly wipe your phone and set it up as new! Over the air updates do not do this

Download and upgrade the operating system through iTunes only. This is the only way to truly wipe your phone and set it up as new!

Log into your updated phone, no back up yet! , sign in with your Apple ID and let everything sync. Just Apple ID sync, Notes, messages, emails, photos, not any backup yet.

Once that sync is complete, Install your back up, either from iTunes or iCloud. I think I had better results from iCloud but it could be in my head.

Battery problem fixed.

Consulted with the same senior Apple Advisor several times (like phoning each other directly back and forth) They installed a application on my phone and Monitored it for a week. Amazing service, be nice to them and they’ll be nice to you.

The background data that Facebook stores on your phone does not get deleted if you just delete the app sometimes. You need to delete the app in Settings.

One more thing, leave your phone charging overnight. If you don’t, the phone may use excessive battery when you start using it in the morning

All the battery saving crap tips and tweaks out there are pretty much crap. I am using all the full features that the phone can offer and I choose to use. My background app refresh is pretty much on for all of my apps, I don’t worry about closing apps if I have too many open, just use the phone and forget it.

There is a lot of tracking software that you can turn off that you don’t need in System, privacy, location services, system services. Plus the setting in maps that remembers where your car is parked. All I have enabled is the time syncing and HomeKit, because I use it.

Apple says they’re all concerned about privacy issues, but when you update your iOS everything is turned on. If you want privacy you have to turn it all off.

Hope this helps some people. I’m good to go now, and I believe I get even longer battery life than I did before.

CoronaOnTap

Suspended
Oct 24, 2019
Pretty much everything you’ve mentioned here is standard procedure and nothing new.
Everyone who decides to set it up as new would’ve to do the same thing and deviating a bit from your exact steps wouldn’t make any difference in their experience.

Lekro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2019
Do you have evidence that an app leaves leftover files if not deleted from the Settings app?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.