Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adminaaah

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 15, 2013
Hello Everyone,

First off, no this is not another one of those I don't like the new iOS version cause it drains battery posts. :D

Anyway.... I went to the Apple Store today and they checked out my iPhone 5 battery and said it was in great condition and there is nothing wrong with it. The problem however is that my battery drains like crazy like 8 percent if im using safari for basic web browsing. They simply restored my iPhone 5 and did some setting changes like turning off background app ref. location services, LTE, etc.
However, its still draining very fast. I don't seem to understand what the problem is. If someone could help, I would really appreciate it.

-Thanks!
I'm on iOS 7.1.1 (and have NO apps installed at all, everything is stock)

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Hello Everyone,

First off, no this is not another one of those I don't like the new iOS version cause it drains battery posts. :D

Anyway.... I went to the Apple Store today and they checked out my iPhone 5 battery and said it was in great condition and there is nothing wrong with it. The problem however is that my battery drains like crazy like 8 percent if im using safari for basic web browsing. They simply restored my iPhone 5 and did some setting changes like turning off background app ref. location services, LTE, etc.

However, its still draining very fast. I don't seem to understand what the problem is. If someone could help, I would really appreciate it.

-Thanks!

I'm on iOS 7.1.1 (and have NO apps installed at all, everything is stock)

Facebook app has been known to drain battery. Also, after a restore it takes a few days or charging for the battery percentage to display accurately

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Cell service signal is very, very important. If you are using your phone in an area with mediocre service, you will see your battery drain a lot quicker. In some of my classes I have 1-2 bars and my battery will drop up to 15-20% an hour just trying to search for a stronger signal.

Dented

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2009
I've no idea what's going on specifically but there's something screwy with 7.1.1 battery life, certainly on the iPhone 5. I've been experiencing the same sort of thing, including some sudden drops (ie 10% suddenly wiped off in maybe two minutes of screentime).

I've tried all the usual switching off x y and z (none of which you should be expected to do by the way) and all any of it has done is slightly mask the problem, but still leave me with a less functional phone which still struggles to make it through the day, where before with the same usage on 7.0x it was never a problem. I've even tried a DFU restore with no change.

Like most of these random battery bugs I'm sure it doesn't affect everyone - there are so many variables, location, network etc - but I've been unlucky and it sounds like you have too.

My only hope is there's a 7.1.2 with a fix soon.

trlyka

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2011
Well…I guess I know why I didn't want to update. :rolleyes:

I had the old iOS 6 until today when I decided to join the rest of the world. FIRST thing I noticed was my battery drain. I was on a call with my girlfriend, and where before it barely went down a percent or 2, it is now going down 5-10% in a small amount of time. Also, same sort of situation with texting….Not cool! :mad:

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013

I had the old iOS 6 until today when I decided to join the rest of the world. FIRST thing I noticed was my battery drain. I was on a call with my girlfriend, and where before it barely went down a percent or 2, it is now going down 5-10% in a small amount of time. Also, same sort of situation with texting….Not cool! :mad:

It has been that way since 7.0 for me, with if anything a slight worsening with 7.1.1
No battery drain fix has been forthcoming, and I don't believe it will be. I am at least one third down on my usage time per charge cycle compared to iOS6.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

Tweak some settings and/or reset the phone and then give it at least a few cycles/days (if not a week or even two) observing it and averaging things before really making a call on battery life.

Dented

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2009
Good advice to let things settle, an update - any update - can burn through battery to begin with as it sorts stuff out in the background.

That said, I'm convinced that 7.1.1 has a particular problem. My current suspicion is that it's something to do with mail accounts, most likely Exchange in my case - I generally have my icloud mail and my work calendars and contacts pushing via exchange, and I've noticed a marked improvement a couple of times when I've left the exchange account switched off. Of course I don't want to do that - I find it so useful that it's like having to remove an arm - so I'm desperately tweaking things to find a way I can keep exchange going and have acceptable battery life.

But yeah there's a definite bug here - it may not affect everyone and I guess it may not necessarily have been introduced by 7.1.1, but it's there. Some of the percentage drops I've seen while doing nothing in particular are ridiculous.

trlyka

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2011
Tweak some settings and/or reset the phone and then give it at least a few cycles/days (if not a week or even two) observing it and averaging things before really making a call on battery life.

I think this helps…..

Battery Drain

There are a lot of apps that are set up to use location services and background refresh that you probably never or barely use. Honestly, I hardly use 25% of the apps on my phone. I did clean up a lot before I updated, but I am sure there are quite a few more I could get rid of. I think depending on your age, you probably text or FB and play a game or 2 a majority of the time. The novelty has worn off for a lot of apps IMO. Now and days I find I use more apps for the phone like emoticons, text tones or wallpaper. I know….I'm boring :p

grockk

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2006
try to do "Reset All Settings". it works 99% of the time to fix things like this.

Dented

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2009
try to do "Reset All Settings". it works 99% of the time to fix things like this.

This is good advice I have to say - that seems to have done the trick for me as far as the heavy phantom usage goes. I wouldn't say my battery life is quite back to pre 7.1 levels, but it's certainly much improved in standby and my usage figure is back to normal.

FatPuppy

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2012
I charge my iphone 4 on 7.1.1 every day and I only have 2 hours or 3 sometimes on usage. It's pretty bad but you get used to it.

Dented

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2009
My battery is draining like crazy!!!

This is where I am now on my iPhone 5 - I'd be happier with more but won't complain.
vezapy7a.jpg

Usage is mostly browsing, messaging, some music and streaming - and it's genuine, little if any ghost time added. I have a few things (including Facebook) working background refresh, icloud plus a work exchange account pushing, frequent locations are on, Bluetooth is off and wifi only on when I'm at home.

Last edited:

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
That's great, especially with Facebook background app refresh on!

Here's my latest. 3G switched off, background refresh off, reduce motion on, no calls, a couple of texts and the rest is web browsing over WiFi. My battery life has been appalling ever since 7.0

Dented

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2009
That's great, especially with Facebook background app refresh on!

Here's my latest. 3G switched off, background refresh off, reduce motion on, no calls, a couple of texts and the rest is web browsing over WiFi. My battery life has been appalling ever since 7.0

Yep, that is bad, my commiserations. I've always felt you should never have to turn everything off to get acceptable battery life, but to not even get that when you have is pretty shocking.

Have you ever tried using something like ibackupbot to read your battery health? I tried the free trial, with your phone plugged in it will tell you the actual battery capacity vs the design, from which you can tell it's health - mine is at 90% capacity after 7-8 months which I guess is ok - maybe yours is significantly worse for some reason?

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Yep, that is bad, my commiserations. I've always felt you should never have to turn everything off to get acceptable battery life, but to not even get that when you have is pretty shocking.

Have you ever tried using something like ibackupbot to read your battery health? I tried the free trial, with your phone plugged in it will tell you the actual battery capacity vs the design, from which you can tell it's health - mine is at 90% capacity after 7-8 months which I guess is ok - maybe yours is significantly worse for some reason?

Tried it and my battery is perfectly fine (unfortunately). I was hoping it was just a dud battery. I think my phone must be duff, despite it having fantastic battery life with 6.1.4

Dented

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2009
My battery is draining like crazy!!!

Tried it and my battery is perfectly fine (unfortunately). I was hoping it was just a dud battery. I think my phone must be duff, despite it having fantastic battery life with 6.1.4

I do wonder if it's worth a trip to the apple shop - it might take a couple of trips and a bit of insistence but if you can consistently show it's performing that badly, even after setting up as new etc, they'd probably replace it.

It may be that while the battery is fine, something in the 7.0 update brought another hardware problem to light in your phone that's causing this drain - perhaps a faulty radio or something like that.

Wagwaan

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2014

Join the club mate hate ios 7 battery wise wish id stayed on 6

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Cell service signal is very, very important. If you are using your phone in an area with mediocre service, you will see your battery drain a lot quicker. In some of my classes I have 1-2 bars and my battery will drop up to 15-20% an hour just trying to search for a stronger signal.

I live in a dead zone (very nearly dead anyway. If I go upstairs and hold the phone to a windowpane I can pick up mail but I cannot make a voice call. I could probably refresh weather / wire service news, but that's about it. So of course at home I usually leave the phone in airplane mode and just use it on WiFi. It's my habit to turn off my router when I go up to bed. I don't charge my phone ovenight so it's just in my purse or on the coffee table. Usually its charge has been topped off sometime in the afternoon or early evening.

What I began to wonder awhile ago is whether Apple tries to phone home for whatever reason anyway, and ignores Airplane mode. Well that seemed a little too bizarre to be possible. But see, I lose a lot of batt overnight or anyway after using it and then setting it down, leaving nothing running.

I have zip turned on for notifications, generally, on the phone. So the loss is for no discernible reason. I thought Apple said it would not do stuff like check for app updates and etc. unless the phone was plugged in. Maybe that is not true. So if my WiFi off, and Airplane Mode is on, does it keep endlessly checking to see if WiFi is on yet or Airplane mode is off yet? And does just that activity somehow take up inordinate amounts of juice? Maybe I should turn the thing off at night. I don't even know if that would help!

a-m-k

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2009
OP, do you leave apps open when you put your phone to sleep when not in use? Do you even put your phone to sleep when not in use? I think I had a similar problem when I first got my phone and started using it daily. Just be on your home screen and double click the home button and it will show you your open apps and you just easily scroll up with your finger and voila, you should be good to go. :)

Dented

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2009
OP, do you leave apps open when you put your phone to sleep when not in use? Do you even put your phone to sleep when not in use? I think I had a similar problem when I first got my phone and started using it daily. Just be on your home screen and double click the home button and it will show you your open apps and you just easily scroll up with your finger and voila, you should be good to go. :)

This is nonsense and regularly debunked by people in the know. There's no need to manage apps in IOS and doing so actually uses up more battery, not less.

The only exception is where you get the odd rogue app that's poorly coded and gets stuck in a loop drawing power - but these are easily identified and best deleted, not micromanaged.

a-m-k

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2009
This is nonsense and regularly debunked by people in the know. There's no need to manage apps in IOS and doing so actually uses up more battery, not less.

The only exception is where you get the odd rogue app that's poorly coded and gets stuck in a loop drawing power - but these are easily identified and best deleted, not micromanaged.

My sister gave me the advice I posted. I'm new to having a phone of my own. Sorry I couldn't help after all.

Dented

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2009
My sister gave me the advice I posted. I'm new to having a phone of my own. Sorry I couldn't help after all.

Good, you should be sorry.

I'm joking, I don't mean to offend and sorry I'm came over a bit curt, it's just the whole shutting down apps thing is one of those urban legends that people repeat so often, as gospel, that it gets a bit wearing after a whole. IOS is actually a lot cleverer than people think; it manages its own memory well and is automatically shutting down apps all the time (very few of those which appear in your double-click list are actually open even when they appear to be). It's designed so that you don't need to worry about this stuff.

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
Here's my battery usage. Typical for a weekend. A school day would be a little more, but I won't have another of those until August. I close apps when not using them and have background refresh and some location services turned off. I know closing apps doesn't really help, but I'm OCD that way.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 172
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.