Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zepharus

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 7, 2007
After the geniuses were finally able to recreate my sound issues while booting off of their OS and using their apps, I was offered a replacement MBP 2.2 Glossy.

They had this unit in stock and it is a week 38. My old one was a week 27. This new MBP is everything I was hoping for with a MBP purchase. Flawless in everyway.

It has also made me aware that Apple has made some changes to the MBP in hardware or perhaps there were other things wrong with my old one.

First thing I noticed was that my keyboard typing issue is much improved. It seemed as if I was always missing keys after pressing them solidly. This is much improved and the the new has a better tactile feel and response. Only gripe is a slightly sqeeky space bar, but compared to my other issues this is a dream...

Secondly, he overall system is much speedier and responsive, and onyx will now sucessfully complete the S.M.A.R.T verification which would always fail on my last MBP.

Thirdly, I had an ever so slight yellowing issue on my Samsung screen, that honestly was a non issue for me as it was almost not noticable. I have happy to report that I now have a flawless LG screen! Looks amazingly better that the Samsung did. A very startling difference to be honest.

Fourthly, the superdrive in he old MBP made this god awful mechanized noise that lasted nearly 4- seconds upon booting up and shutting down. This one has a much reduced sound and last a fraction of a second. Nice surprise with this, and I can only assume they are using a different manufacturer for the superdrive.

All in all I could not be happier with this MBP. Im glad Apple came to thier senses and realized I had a lemon before. he process was a real pain in the ass, but ultimately worth it.

zepharus

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 7, 2007
Glad to hear you got a good MBP....how do you know wgat make of LCD screen you have ?

I dident think there was any way of knowing apart from taking the machine apart.....

System Preferences > Display > Color > Make sure Color LCD profile is selected > Open Profile > go down to line 13 and select

Model 9C67 = LG
Model 9C68 = Samsung

xpovos

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2007
Tennessee
The one they replaced was the one you had had in repair for three weeks, right?

Well, this is good news. Glad to hear they got you straightened out. Despite all the problems I've had with MacBook Pros, I will say that Apple has eventually always come through and done the right thing, even if I had to be firm at times.

What's also interesting to me is that it's pretty clear that the Samsung LED screens are pretty problematic on the 15", and yet most Samsung screens I've seen on other computers are great. For example, my current 17" has a Samsung (CCFL) screen on it and, aside from being slightly more grainy than other 17" MBP screens I've had (although still perfectly well within acceptable limits), it's overall the nicest non-LED MBP screen I've ever seen. I also have an external 19" Samsung monitor that looks really good.

zepharus

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 7, 2007
If that space bar gets worse it's going to drive you crazy.

I'm on my second keyboard, which now also needs replacing. Totally rubbish space bar construction :(

Lets hope it doesnt.. maybe some WD-40 .....

xpovos

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2007
Tennessee
Lets hope it doesnt.. maybe some WD-40 .....

Sometimes the spacebar squeak is due to a broken seal on the silicone contact (and it's air escaping through the bottom of the contact), in which case no amount of WD-40 is going to do any good. WHATEVER YOU DO, don't try removing the contact yourself and then re-sealing it, as it's likely to stop working altogether and for no apparent reason. I made this mistake, and one of my local Geniuses was kind enough to ignore the fact that it was accidental damage and offered to replace the top case for free. If not for his generosity, the repair from this simple little mistake would've cost me about $600. (This was on a black MacBook.)

zepharus

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 7, 2007
Nope I am a happy camper... and its realy doesnt sqeek much if ever now.. I think it was so damn NEW!

Its got the new electronics smell that is geek pheromone...

zepharus

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 7, 2007
The one they replaced was the one you had had in repair for three weeks, right?

Exactly right. I went round and round when it returned from repair with the same issue. they did not want to replace it and decided to test it running off thier external HD and OS. they told me it was software and I told them they were insane.

Problem manifested itself as soon as they used thier external. Then then called me to say we are replacing it for you becasue you have been cool about it and since you purchased it here.

xpovos

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2007
Tennessee
Exactly right. I went round and round when it returned from repair with the same issue. they did not want to replace it and decided to test it running off thier external HD and OS. they told me it was software and I told them they were insane.

Problem manifested itself as soon as they used thier external. Then then called me to say we are replacing it for you becasue you have been cool about it and since you purchased it here.

What was the issue that they claimed as a software issue?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.