Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I originally formatted the 2TB WD in the normal way, staying away from WD's "Turbo" drivers and custom GUID format. When used that way, I was getting good speeds <200 read and write.

Read up a little on the WD boards, and decided that before the drive starts filling up, I'd re-format it with the WD utility and add the turbo drivers. A word of warning....Don't.

Speed dropped to >100MBPS and the drive ejects randomly when accessing folders etc.

I am now going to go back to where it was before....Standard OSX format. Anybody else had similar issues? I'm using the drive on my new rMBP 13"..

Last edited:

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
WD drivers seem to suck, it's not the first time I read WD has problems, even System Crashes.
Better name would be TurboCrap.:p

Apple's own drivers (Extensions) are overall to be stable, when Apple includes drivers for whatever Hardware I use them instead of 3rd party drivers.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
WD drivers seem to suck, it's not the first time I read WD has problems, even System Crashes.
Better name would be TurboCrap.:p

Apple's own drivers (Extensions) are overall to be stable, when Apple includes drivers for whatever Hardware I use them instead of 3rd party drivers.

Yep, I'm going back now before the drive is too full...Not much on it now...You think they'd avoid recommending stuff that doesn't work. I bought the dive formatted for Windows as it works out cheaper that way here...Back to a standard partition it is!

Macman45

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
Will mark this as resolved as after a re-format and removal of the WD bloatware and so called "Turbo" drivers, the drive is back up to speed. I wish manufacturers would refrain from boasting about the capability of their software when it just doesn't work....Some people may have returned the drive as faulty.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.