Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JGS312

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2022
Back in November I made the decision to sell my MacBook and go to my iPad Pro 5th gen full time. Since then, I haven’t had any regrets. I have found that the iPad is a lot more comfortable to work on for what I need it for. Stage manager and the display support have completely changed the game for the iPad. The only problem that shows up from time to time is a website disagreement with Safari (sometimes you cannot click on things). When that arises, I simply switch to the Chrome browser and it works fine.

I am a teacher and I asked my school to remove my clunky PC from my classroom. In place of the PC, I have done a full iPad setup and I LOVE it! See below for my setup with a description of the components. Do you have any suggestions for additions to what I have already?

IMG_9953.jpeg

- Satechi Bluetooth mouse
- Satechi Slim X3 Bluetooth wireless keyboard
- Benks magnetic iPad stand
- Twelve South StayGo USB-C hub
- Brother QL-810W Label Printer
- Acer Monitor

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
It feels strange to request to have a communal PC removed (which can be accessed by anybody) in place of a personal iPad (which I presume will only be used by you). What happens if someone else needs to use the room and when you want to access network files?

Right now, I cannot think of anything that would augment this setup. I have an Apple TV in my classroom, and I am the sort to move around the classroom, rather than be tethered to my desk.

Let us know how it works though.

JGS312

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2022
It feels strange to request to have a communal PC removed (which can be accessed by anybody) in place of a personal iPad (which I presume will only be used by you). What happens if someone else needs to use the room and when you want to access network files?

Right now, I cannot think of anything that would augment this setup. I have an Apple TV in my classroom, and I am the sort to move around the classroom, rather than be tethered to my desk.

Let us know how it works though.
I failed to add that the interactive board in my classroom has a PC built in. That is what I teach from 100% of the time. The PC I had removed was just off to the side and for my use. I found myself never using it. Our district uses everything Google Drive based and substitutes or teachers from outside of my room are given Chromebooks for their personal use. The nice part of the setup is I can easily unplug and become mobile at a moments notice. Thanks for your input!

bondr006

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2010
Cary, NC - My Name is Rob Bond
Nice setup. I am a realtor/property manager and have been using my M1 iPad Pro 11 as a laptop replacement since Nov. 2021 and I will never return to a MacBook. I have a Mac Mini but prefer the iPad desktop setup. I have the Logitech Combo Touch also, which makes for a really nice fully protected and functional mobile computing experience. I am also happy with the new abilities of Stage Manager and looking forward to a little more maturity. Would like to be able to control sound better, but hey...we waited for external monitor support for a long time.

The only thing I would suggest is getting a Magic Trackpad. I like it much better than a mouse for the iPad. Very natural and intuitive to operate a touch based device with a touch based device with all the gestures intact.

My setups...

IMG_1356.jpg

iPad Desktop 2-12-2023.jpg

List of tech on my desk

1. M1 iPad Pro 11 running latest iPad OS 17 public beta
2. Apple Pencil 2
3. Penoval Stylus Pen for iPad
4. Apple Watch Series 6/44mm
5. AirPods Pro
6. Acer Nitro 27" WQHD 2560 x 1440 PC Gaming Monitor
7. Creative SBS E2900 Bluetooth Speaker System w/Subwoofer
8. Bluetooth Keyboard
9. Apple Magic Trackpad 2
10. Anker 7-in-1 USB C Hub with 4K HDMI
11. Anker 10 Port 60W Data Hub with 7 USB 3.0 Ports and 3 PowerIQ Charging Ports
12. SAMSUNG T7 1TB Portable SSD
13. Anozer Tablet Stand
14. Anker Wireless Charging Station with Adapter, PowerWave 3-in-1 Qi-Certified
15. Assorted USB Thumb Drives and Cables

Last edited:

JGS312

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2022
Nice setup. I am a realtor/property manager and have been using my M1 iPad Pro 11 as a laptop replacement since Nov. 2021 and I will never return to a MacBook. I have a Mac Mini but prefer the iPad desktop setup. I have the Logitech Combo Touch also, which makes for a really nice fully protected and functional mobile computing experience. I am also happy with the new abilities of Stage Manager and looking forward to a little more maturity. Would like to be able to control sound better, but hey...we waited for external monitor support for a long time.

The only thing I would suggest is getting a Magic Trackpad. I like it much better than a mouse for the iPad. Very natural to operate a touch based device with a touch based device with all the gestures intact.

My setups...

View attachment 2244314

View attachment 2244318
I love your setups! Another thing I failed to mention in my post is that I have the Apple keyboard case with the trackpad. When I am not at my desktop, I use it all the time and I love it! I considered getting the Logitech keyboard case. I cannot wait for the next iPad OS because it looks like they matured Stage manager a bit :) Thank you so much for sharing!

Reactions: bondr006 and RevTEG

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
@JGS312 I am also interested to learn more about how you are using your iPad in the classroom, especially your apps.

I am still using a 2018 iPad Pro (with the A12x processor). It's going strong, but it also means I have been largely shut out of the stage manager life. My general impression of the iPad is that it doesn't really make for a great desktop experience, in part because many apps do a poor job of mimicking their web counterparts (such as office or google drive apps). For example, I have typed meeting minutes on MS word on my iPad, but I don't really dare to use it for anything involving complicated formatting. Pdf management is strong on the iPad as well, in part because there are so many apps for this (even the stock files app is pretty capable in its own right), compared to my work-issued windows laptop where I have to open pdfs in Edge just to annotate on it.

So yeah, I guess I have been largely using my iPad as a tablet (and a great one at that) and don't really have much exposure to how it might fare as a makeshift PC. 😛

JGS312

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2022
@JGS312 I am also interested to learn more about how you are using your iPad in the classroom, especially your apps.

I am still using a 2018 iPad Pro (with the A12x processor). It's going strong, but it also means I have been largely shut out of the stage manager life. My general impression of the iPad is that it doesn't really make for a great desktop experience, in part because many apps do a poor job of mimicking their web counterparts (such as office or google drive apps). For example, I have typed meeting minutes on MS word on my iPad, but I don't really dare to use it for anything involving complicated formatting. Pdf management is strong on the iPad as well, in part because there are so many apps for this (even the stock files app is pretty capable in its own right), compared to my work-issued windows laptop where I have to open pdfs in Edge just to annotate on it.

So yeah, I guess I have been largely using my iPad as a tablet (and a great one at that) and don't really have much exposure to how it might fare as a makeshift PC. 😛
I think it definitely depends on your line of work. For me, I do very simple word processing using the Google apps and I have found that they work well on Safari with my generation iPad Pro. I have heard from others before who said they wished they could switch to the iPad full time, but they are unable to because the programs they use are unavailable. That is the beauty of Apple. They have multiple products for all kinds of people :) I am looking forward to the next gen iPad Pro to see how it changes.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
All this is making me itchy to upgrade to an iPad that supports stage manager, especially since I just purchased a 2l portable monitor off amazon. But I find myself (still) in somewhat of an upgrade limbo. The iPad Air is still inferior to my 2018 iPad Pro in some areas, while even the M2 iPad Pro still doesn't feel like that significant of an upgrade. It doesn't look like we will be getting M3 this year either, so this will mark the 5th year.

Funny though - I recently just had its battery replaced (had a bloated battery) and I could have sworn it feels just a little snappier now that it's back from the repair store. My analytics log is all screwed up though. The result of a third party battery being used? :oops:

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire

I agree with you here. Especially with anything with Excel - iPad only allows really basic functions.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Another thing I failed to mention in my post is that I have the Apple keyboard case with the trackpad.
Magic Keyboard? But if I were to offer a suggestion on your set up... I'll advise going with the Magic Mouse 2 over that Satechi Bluetooth mouse.

You'll notice immediately the smoothness in scrolling in comparison to Satechi... for some reason Apple has applied some system level code that 3rd party mouses doesn't have access to. I have a MX Master 3 and it's a nice mouse, but I prefer using the Magic Mouse on the iPad.

And how do you like the Benks magnetic iPad stand? I use a laptop/iPad stand for my desk setup.

Reactions: bondr006 and culo77

culo77

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2010
Chicago
Magic Keyboard? But if I were to offer a suggestion on your set up... I'll advise going with the Magic Mouse 2 over that Satechi Bluetooth mouse.

You'll notice immediately the smoothness in scrolling in comparison to Satechi... for some reason Apple has applied some system level code that 3rd party mouses doesn't have access to.

^^^^^This

I have went down the route of the janky 3rd party mouse experience. tried the Magic Mouse and its like a different world.

Reactions: JGS312

bondr006

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2010
If I were to offer a suggestion on your set up... I'll advise going with the Magic Mouse 2
^^^^^This

I have went down the route of the janky 3rd party mouse experience. tried the Magic Mouse and its like a different world.

IMO I still maintain the Magic Trackpad beats all mice for controlling the iPad. It is very intuitive to control a touch device with a touch device that has all the touch gestures you are used to controlling the iPad with. Mice are best on a Mac or PC, but the Magic Trackpad rules on the iPad.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
IMO I still maintain the Magic Trackpad beats all mice for controlling the iPad. It is very intuitive to control a touch device with a touch device that has all the touch gestures you are used to controlling the iPad with. Mice are best on a Mac or PC, but the Magic Trackpad rules on the iPad.
I certainly agree with that. But some people prefer using a mouse (regardless of the disadvantages over the trackpad) and with what the OP has setup, that's why I'd advise the Magic Mouse 2.

They mention already owning a Magic Keyboard which has a built in trackpad, it would seem redundant to buy Magic Trackpad and sometimes its nice to have a change of pace when navigating the iPad.

Reactions: JGS312 and bondr006

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I certainly agree with that. But some people prefer using a mouse (regardless of the disadvantages over the trackpad) and with what the OP has setup, that's why I'd advise the Magic Mouse 2.

They mention already owning a Magic Keyboard which has a built in trackpad, it would seem redundant to buy Magic Trackpad and sometimes its nice to have a change of pace when navigating the iPad.

I tried the MM2 and returned it - I found I did not like its touch interface or its overall ergonomics. I went back to the Logitech MX Master 3.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I tried the MM2 and returned it - I found I did not like its touch interface or its overall ergonomics. I went back to the Logitech MX Master 3.
That's understandable. I'm only looking at it from the standpoint of how it performs with iPadOS and its well known that Magic Mouse has better (smooth) scrolling compared to other 3rd party mouses.

NastyMatt

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2020
One question - can you use a hub and external screen? i.e. have an external monitor connected for extended monitor and other usb devices connected to the hub at the same time (keyboard / mouse etc). Tried it with my Apple USB C hub and had no joy.

I use Google apps in Safari and they work well (as well as using them on a laptop), the iPad apps are just too restricted to be used for anything other than entering data.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
One question - can you use a hub and external screen? i.e. have an external monitor connected for extended monitor and other usb devices connected to the hub at the same time (keyboard / mouse etc). Tried it with my Apple USB C hub and had no joy.

I use Google apps in Safari and they work well (as well as using them on a laptop), the iPad apps are just too restricted to be used for anything other than entering data.

Not speaking for the OP, but I can use an Anker USB-C hub with my M1 12.9 connected via HDMI to an LG 4K monitor without issues. My keyboard and mouse are Bluetooth but I have connected various drives to the hub via USB-A & USB-C, again without issues with the display.

bondr006

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2010
Not speaking for the OP, but I can use an Anker USB-C hub with my M1 12.9 connected via HDMI to an LG 4K monitor without issues. My keyboard and mouse are Bluetooth but I have connected various drives to the hub via USB-A & USB-C, again without issues with the display.
I have the same setup with an Anker USB C hub with no issues.

Attachments

• 61iubRICsFL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    61iubRICsFL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 74
  • Vt1I3uj.jpg
    Vt1I3uj.jpg
    786.6 KB · Views: 86
  • iPad Desktop 2-12-2023.jpg
    iPad Desktop 2-12-2023.jpg
    496.9 KB · Views: 74

JGS312

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2022

You'll notice immediately the smoothness in scrolling in comparison to Satechi... for some reason Apple has applied some system level code that 3rd party mouses doesn't have access to. I have a MX Master 3 and it's a nice mouse, but I prefer using the Magic Mouse on the iPad.

And how do you like the Benks magnetic iPad stand? I use a laptop/iPad stand for my desk setup.
I completely see what you are saying. The Satechi mouse jerks around the screen and lacks the smoothness of the Apple Mouse. At home I have the Apple brand and it is completely different!

I like the Benks stand a lot! The only downfall is when you adjust it lower the weight of the iPad can bring the device right down to the table. It needs a screw lock to keep it in position.

Reactions: bondr006

JGS312

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2022

I use the Twelve South hub and it works great. I have my monitor, usb, power cable, and work LAN cable plugged it without any interruption. I have found that the Apple adapters don’t give the same performance surprisingly enough.

I also use everything Google on Safari. I agree, it works great! I despise the Google apps for iPad.

Reactions: bondr006

DeepSix

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2022

The only thing I would suggest is getting a Magic Trackpad. I like it much better than a mouse for the iPad. Very natural and intuitive to operate a touch based device with a touch based device with all the gestures intact.

My setups...

View attachment 2244314

View attachment 2244318

List of tech on my desk

1. M1 iPad Pro 11 running latest iPad OS 17 public beta
2. Apple Pencil 2
3. Penoval Stylus Pen for iPad
4. Apple Watch Series 6/44mm
5. AirPods Pro
6. Acer Nitro 27" WQHD 2560 x 1440 PC Gaming Monitor
7. Creative SBS E2900 Bluetooth Speaker System w/Subwoofer
8. Bluetooth Keyboard
9. Apple Magic Trackpad 2
10. Anker 7-in-1 USB C Hub with 4K HDMI
11. Anker 10 Port 60W Data Hub with 7 USB 3.0 Ports and 3 PowerIQ Charging Ports
12. SAMSUNG T7 1TB Portable SSD
13. Anozer Tablet Stand
14. Anker Wireless Charging Station with Adapter, PowerWave 3-in-1 Qi-Certified
15. Assorted USB Thumb Drives and Cables

After using the Logitech combo touch case for almost a year, I don't like it anymore. I still very much love the case because of the kickstand and love the feel of it and it gives decent protection. But I don't like the keyboard because it's too cramped. And I don't like the feel of the keys, not enough feedback for me. And the keys are way too shallow so don't use it anymore. I picked up a Logitech MX mini keys And it works awesome with the iPad on a flat surface.

I wish Logitech sold the combo case without the keyboard, just the case, Then I would have saved at least $100

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.