Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CrystalmakeR

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 2, 2020
My music life. From now on in my dream studio.

Where to start? Maybe when I was very young and my godmother was singing to me daylong, all the folk music. Thank you so much, godmother, for singing me so much, but also for many other things! I started to play piano when I was 8 (thanks to my parents), and since that music was part, it is, and it will be until the end part of my life :).

I do not recall exactly, but perhaps +-35 years ago I started to write/compose/orchestrate music on computers. Although in my scientific life (yes, I make crystals) I had Macs, my very 1st music machine was a PC (with that I made my very 1st album, btw). I do not want to start any Mac/PC discussion here (as many users are happy with their PCs), but my very 1st big change in my forever growing setup/studio was when I purchased a Mac Pro. That was really cool. Around that time samples libraries started to appear, and I needed more and more computing power. In the end I had several Macs, many screens, and cables and cables, and troubles. Really. I did not have a technician. I was fixing myself (and with my friend online) the setup ALL the time (I/we have spent often crazy long nights). It was nearly impossible to compose those days/years. Yes, I composed many pieces, but most of the time went to fixing the setup. Approximately 3 years back I was just sitting here in my acoustically treated studio (I have a very nice flat frequency response here) and looked around. I had many equipment, many Macs, screens, and miles and miles of cables. My setup was "working". Kind of.

However, the MP7.1 showed up. To make my story short, I have sold “everything” (not my audio interface, studio monitors, master keyboard,...), all the Macs, screens, removed may meters of cables, and purchased the MP7.1 with plenty of cores and plenty of RAM.

And the world has changed :):cool:. From that time on, with a single powerful machine I can run on the same machine my DAW(s) and all my samples libraries without any trouble. The loading time of the sample libraries is remarkably reduced (unfortunately I have no more time to make a tea ;)), I can run as much plugins as I want, and the MP7.1 does not even feel it. Side note: my orchestral templates are big.

Now, my latest recent purchase = Apple Pro Display XRD made the cream on the cake. It is a dream :). Well, it took me time to get here, but now I have it. When I wake up in the morning (5:00-ish), I just hit a key on the keyboard, the DAW is up and running, the orchestral template loads in less than a minute, and I can write whatever music is in my head. The score looks crispy on the screen (good for my ageing eyes). And the strings are soaring, the flute is "loud" (as always), the bass trombone is dangerous (I am not kidding), the timpani is deep...

No more looking for solutions, no more fixing half OK products, this is all the past.

I am very, very happy with my dream setup. I would recommend it to anyone who can afford it.
It is creativity time now. But I am going now for a good cup of tea ;).

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: ratspg

CrystalmakeR

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 2, 2020
Question: is this what is mainly used by others to connect "any" DAW with Pro Tools? Can this software do any sampling frequencies/bitrates?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.