Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

transmaster

Contributor
Original poster
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
Plugged in the Apple Superdrive into the Mac Studio. The only odd thing I encountered is even though the OWC Thunderbolt dock is fully powered the Mac told me I needed to plug this drive directly into the Mac for power. 🤷‍♂️ Here is what put love lights into my eyes. Once I restarted the Mac to get everything settled in an alert popped up in the EERO app on the iPhone telling me a new Yamaha device had been added to my network. The Apple Superdrive might have the Apple logo on the cover but it's innards are made by Yamaha, My go to brand for audio equipment. 😍

I had the idea of when not in use putting the drive in a protective case for storage. It fit perfectly on top of the Mac Studio so there it will stay. This is the first new optical drive I have purchased in at least 10 years, and the 1st one with slot, not drawer loading. Looking at the reviews people were complaining it didn't do Blu Ray disks that made me laugh. All mine is going to be used for is transcribing audio disks CD, and DVD not even going to use the burner on it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.