Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Nov 9, 2012
To not be obligated to my employer on MY time.....yes. When I was younger I would use my personal phone for business....then I realize it became expected for me to respond to people on my days off. That was the end of that. I'm my view, life is too short to be worrying and attached to work on my days off. Work can wait until I am on their clock, on mine....screw that. Employers just want more and more of your personal time to benefit them. When you are at the end of your life....are those employer emails going to matter to you, or would you have rather had that 5 minutes more with your family or friends every day? After 25 years that is 758 hours, or 1.3 months of your life dedicated to email for your employer. Is it really worth it to trade time of your life to some money making machine that will spit you out at a moments notice? I don't think so.
[doublepost=1470660325][/doublepost]
They should. People around the world should stand up against this new form of slavery.

I'm personally expected to be reached (phone,email) 24x7. Luckily for me, it happens around once a year.
Having two devices is still not logical for me.. I don't use my phone much. It will never be worth paying 90$/monthly.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
I'm personally expected to be reached (phone,email) 24x7.
Same here. My salary reflects that, and I'm paid a phone stipend for having work emails/phone calls on my personal phone. More convenient for me (I don't have to lug around two devices), and more cost-effective for the company (as the phone stipend the pay is less than the cost of a them providing me a phone + the service).

They should. People around the world should stand up against this new form of slavery.
I don't know how it works in your country, but in the US (at least for the size of corporation I work for), hourly employees cannot work "off the clock". For that reason, the company I work for will not allow them receive email outside of the office, so no webmail or phone mail for them.

Last edited:

Cineplex

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2016
Same here. My salary reflects that, and I'm paid a phone stipend for having work emails/phone calls on my personal phone. More convenient for me (I don't have to lug around two devices), and more cost-effective for the company (as the phone stipend the pay is less than the cost of a them providing me a phone + the service).

I don't know it works in your country, but in the US (at least for the size of corporation I work for), hourly employees cannot work "off the clock". For that reason, the company I work for will not allow them receive email outside of the office, so no webmail or phone mail for them.
I am in the US. It is nice to know some company out there follows the rules! The company I work for has mostly hourly employees and they all have email on their phones. I am one of the very few that does not and does not care what happens when I am not there.

Reactions: aristobrat

Cancelled
Nov 9, 2012
I don't know it works in your country, but in the US (at least for the size of corporation I work for), hourly employees cannot work "off the clock". For that reason, the company I work for will not allow them receive email outside of the office, so no webmail or phone mail for them.

it always depends on the size. I'm a sysadmin, the emails I receive outside normal work hours (99.9%) are from machines. I'm expected to check the the critical ones. Sadly enough, in 2015, I was approached by a dozen companies and every company, included a non-paid pager duty with the job. I normally hang-up a few seconds after! o_O It wasn't like that before 2010, but it's pretty rough at the moment.

My employer don't want to hire (or pay) someone for a night shift, but they expect to have the same level of service.

Reactions: aristobrat

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Despite all this. Perhaps Americans should not be putting work email on their personal phones. Are you being paid to check mail after hours? Are you getting a portion of your phone bill paid to be on demand 24/7? Are you getting an on call stipend? If the answer is no...to hell with them. Americans should stop letting work run their lives and actually live. Slavery by phone. ...but I digress.
Sometimes it's just convenient to know what you'll be walking into the next day (as discussions and other alerts might come up after you've left work, and various meetings and other things might get scheduled as well).

Cineplex

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2016
Sometimes it's just convenient to know what you'll be walking into the next day (as discussions and other alerts might come up after you've left work, and various meetings and other things might get scheduled as well).
Maybe. But I just don't care. At 9:00:00am, I start caring....after 4:59:59PM....I don't care anymore. With all the office non-sense I have found it doesn't matter at all. Chaos still ensues whether I knew about it or not. I found people started adapting to my absence from the grid and decisions were made without wasting my time for the sake of involved. All the people under me know to solve the problem and tell me the resolution. I also do not expect them to be working after hours unless they are being paid. The people above me see everything running fine, so all is well. People on-call are paid to be on-call and carry a pager. If they have made a cell phone call, I pay a pro-rated amount for their cell phone bill for the time used at the end of the month (based on logged emergency calls). People deserve to be disconnected from work.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Maybe. But I just don't care. At 9:00:00am, I start caring....after 4:59:59PM....I don't care anymore. With all the office non-sense I have found it doesn't matter at all. Chaos still ensues whether I knew about it or not. I found people started adapting to my absence from the grid and decisions were made without wasting my time for the sake of involved. All the people under me know to solve the problem and tell me the resolution. I also do not expect them to be working after hours unless they are being paid. The people above me see everything running fine, so all is well. People on-call are paid to be on-call and carry a pager. If they have made a cell phone call, I pay a pro-rated amount for their cell phone bill for the time used at the end of the month (based on logged emergency calls). People deserve to be disconnected from work.
Well, like I said, if I'm hoping to take a longer or later lunch tomorrow or something like that it's not as fun to come in and find out that a meeting was scheduled that would cut into that compared to finding out the night before perhaps, for example. It's one thing to be on-call or to be doing some work, it's another thing to simply keeping an eye on things or simply just being aware.

Cineplex

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2016
Well, like I said, if I'm hoping to take a longer or later lunch tomorrow or something like that it's not as fun to come in and find out that a meeting was scheduled that would cut into that compared to finding out the night before perhaps, for example. It's one thing to be on-call or to be doing some work, it's another thing to simply keeping an eye on things or simply just being aware.
For me, keeping an eye on things or being aware is not something I will do if I am not compensated. I've done my fair share of that over the years...and in the end...it didn't matter. So why worry about it? I'd rather worry about work on their dime...not mine. But to each his own.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
For me, keeping an eye on things or being aware is not something I will do if I am not compensated. I've done my fair share of that over the years...and in the end...it didn't matter. So why worry about it? I'd rather worry about work on their dime...not mine. But to each his own.
Not really related to worrying about anything, simply knowing (and thus perhaps being prepared to what might be going on the next day). And, yeah, essentially as you put it, to each his/her own.

Kailinm

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2016
totally agree, but you can't do it remotely without the proper credentials.
[doublepost=1482779936][/doublepost]
totally agree, but you can't do it remotely without the proper credentials.

My employer did the exact thing to me. It was my Personal phone. Only way I knew they wiped my phone was the email the server sent me informing me they did it. But they wiped my phone clean, and has no credentials of mine that I'm aware of.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.