Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 29, 2005
Hi All,

Been on these forums for many years now and have witnessed time and again the people that have issues speak up, but those having a good experience remain quiet – for reasons that are natural.

Just want to say that I got a new 15” MacBook Pro 2018 2.2 (signature) a couple weeks ago, and have been running macOS Mojave as my main system since. I was cautious at first, with backups (still have them) and ready to switch back to High Sierra if needed, but I am amazed. I upgraded from a faulty 2016 Touch Bar MacBook Pro running macOS Sierra and there is a significant difference in speed, keyboard, and overall stability.

I've been running numerous workflows with macOS Mojave on this new Mac and I am finally feeling happy for being a Mac user. It's stable, it's fast, and it's just working. My keyboard also isn't repeating itself, which is nice. I'm also running iOS 12 on my trusty iPhone 6s, and that has also been a very positive experience. (The speed gains with iOS 12 from iOS 11 have truly felt like I got a new iPhone)

I recognize not everyone has had such a positive experience, but I have. Take this for what it's worth, and if you decide to jump on the beta train, my recommendation is to do so responsibly with a good mindset that bugs are inevitable and definitely have backups.

Thought it was time to speak up in a positive light, and am proud of Apple for delivering an experience I had started to forget. I read so often that Tim's Apple is so different now and loss of quality. Yes, had issues, and I have been pretty vocal about them with the issues on the 2016 MBP's and High Sierra. For the first time ever I was seriously thinking about switching to PC and Android. However, it seems Apple has listened, and more than that, they're doing everything they can to correct the wrongs and improve quality. This is "Tim's Apple", but remember that there are many, many people under him that want what is best for the Apple community (including Tim).

Looking forward to the GM builds!

Last edited:

vaugha

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2011
Good to know. How's the boot-up time of high sierra vs mojave? I've read numerous complaints that high sierra is slower than sierra when booting up. Have you done any quantitative tests on these? I suppose not but doesn't hurt to ask.

Tarek

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2009
Cairo
I applaud you for this post because I am one of those 'silent' individuals who is having a great time with MacOS Mojave but doesn't necessarily post about it. I recently bought a late '16 MacBook Pro and I wasn't having a good experience with High Sierra for one reason or the other, but ever since I updated to MacOS Mojave Beta 5 and onwards, I have had a pleasant experience.

I did face some issues at first but the OS seems to truly get better with every update, and I am quite happy with Apple's timeline of updates and addressing bugs and issues so far.

I just updated to Beta 9 and I feel like it's even more stable and a lot snappier than Beta 8, and I am hoping the final release will be the best one yet. And unlike a lot of people, I absolutely love Dark Mode and would not want to go back to High Sierra because of it.

Good to know. How's the boot-up time of high sierra vs mojave? I've read numerous complaints that high sierra is slower than sierra when booting up. Have you done any quantitative tests on these? I suppose not but doesn't hurt to ask.

I have not really timed it per se but I feel as though it is as fast as it was on High Sierra.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
Wow an actual positive thread about Apple and the MacBook Pro with touch bar, are you real? :D I’m joking of course. It’s very refreshing to actually see someone create and post a positive thread about Apple (especially when there are so many negative comments around the place).

Which 2018 MacBook Pro did you get? Just out of interest what are the specs?

Reactions: DeepIn2U

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 29, 2005
Wow an actual positive thread about Apple and the MacBook Pro with touch bar, are you real? :D I’m joking of course. It’s very refreshing to actually see someone create and post a positive thread about Apple (especially when there are so many negative comments around the place).

Which 2018 MacBook Pro did you get? Just out of interest what are the specs?
Hey Dave245, I’ve got a stock 2.2 6 core i7 with 16gb RAM except I have a 1 TB SSD. I also bought AppleCare+, just in case with these keyboards. I am hopeful though that the new revision will make it more reliable. It certainly feels better than 2016’s model. In hindsight, I wish I would have also paid for upgraded RAM to 32gb for the future-proofing purposes, but maybe next time - As in, 5-10 years! Fingers crossed it lasts that long. I’m in medical school with web development on the side, and as I continue through my training and career my need for the raw power will continue to decrease, so I am hopeful this Mac lasts me for a long time.

Reactions: Dave245

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
Hey Dave245, I’ve got a stock 2.2 6 core i7 with 16gb RAM except I have a 1 TB SSD. I also bought AppleCare+, just in case with these keyboards. I am hopeful though that the new revision will make it more reliable. It certainly feels better than 2016’s model. In hindsight, I wish I would have also paid for upgraded RAM to 32gb for the future-proofing purposes, but maybe next time - As in, 5-10 years! Fingers crossed it lasts that long. I’m in medical school with web development on the side, and as I continue through my training and career my need for the raw power will continue to decrease, so I am hopeful this Mac lasts me for a long time.

To be fair Mac's do last a long time, i still have and use my 2011 MacBook Pro altho i don't use it for anything too have like video editing (i get he beach ball if i try it) but i'm pleasantly surprised that it's lasted 7 years, it saw me through university and my first writing job, i've been nothing but impressed with it. The same can be said for my 2012 iMac that i have at home and use mainly for some video editing (it's specs are better than on my 2011 MBP).

I'm long due an upgrade and will be getting one later this year, i'm just waiting to see what Apple do with the reported new MacBook Air, if it does indeed get a retina display, thinner bezels and newer specs i may opt for it, or i could go with an updated (spec update) MacBook or 13" MacBook Pro, there are certainly a lot of choices there.

The problem with the 13" MacBook Pro is i'm not sure i would use the touch bar all that much and the quad core processor may be over kill for someone like me, but we will see. I'm hoping Apple update the Air at next months keynote and i can opt for that.

uneeko1ne

Suspended
Dec 16, 2017
Reno,Nv
Ive been hesitant to download the beta onto my IMac, but i did download it onto my MBA and i love it, i may bite the bullet and install the beta today/night because i am very impatient about waiting for the release.. i really need to figure out way to backup my files especially my Huge amount of music that spans over 160 gigs

Tarek

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2009
Cairo
@uneeko1ne You could always buy storage on iCloud or perhaps an external SSD. I've seen a lot of good, cheap 2.5" SSDs on eBay that just require an enclosure and they should work well for your backups. I use a 2 TB HDD for my backups but only because I had it lying around; when I have enough money, I'll invest in an SSD because it's so much faster.

Reactions: uneeko1ne

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
I've had nothing but a good experience on the 2018 MBP 15" - for the first time in decades it is my main computer, hooked up to an LG UltraFine 27" display at the home/office. For years I had an iMac at home and a lower-end MBP for taking work on the road. That was just too expensive and I hated maintaining two computers.

As for Mojave, I ran it on my 27" iMac since the beta release with no problems at all. I don't have it installed on the new MBP because it just seems silly with the full release so close. But when Apple does release the shipping version, I'll be installing it pronto.

Scary Spice

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2015
British Columbia
the mbp i9 32GB 2TB is the best computer I have ever owned... And Mojave makes it even better.
No, the iMac Pro 10core 64GB 2TB is the best computer I have ever owned... And Mojave makes it even better.

Wait, the mbp is the best, or maybe the iMac Pro, nah the mbp... But I do like the iMac Pro...

I can't decide. But Mojave rocks them both!

Reactions: chabig

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 29, 2005
the mbp i9 32GB 2TB is the best computer I have ever owned... And Mojave makes it even better.
No, the iMac Pro 10core 64GB 2TB is the best computer I have ever owned... And Mojave makes it even better.

Wait, the mbp is the best, or maybe the iMac Pro, nah the mbp... But I do like the iMac Pro...

I can't decide. But Mojave rocks them both!
What is it that you do that you can afford both Apple’s most powerful computers ever made? Hahaha. Good for you! Glad you’re having a positive experience.

Deliro

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2011
On a 2015 Macbook Pro, and everything has been great so far. All my normal workflows and tasks without a hitch. The new features are welcomed. Positive experience so far.

You'll tend to find a lot of negativity on the forums. I've been on MacRumors for years and honestly its degrading in useful user provided content.. You either have snarky useless comments or excessive whining. I have my theories as to why, but nowadays I take everything I read on here with not one, but several grains of salt.

Cheers.

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 29, 2005
Can you please elaborate on this?! (Or... can you pleasse elaboratee on thiss?)
Haha, I went through three keyboards/top cases on a 2016 late MacBook Pro (1st generation with Touch Bar models). Apple finally called it a lemon and replaced it with a 2018 MacBook Pro, which is part of the reason for this post. The keyboard feels different - definitely "dampened", less noise, and I have confidence that the membrane of sort that helps keep debris out will work. The other keyboards that I had largely worked very well - it was just one or two keys that would go out, and then when they did it would be highly intermittent. Obviously unacceptable, hence the repairs and replacements, but given the sporadic nature that I had without the membrane, I am hopeful that the new MBP with the membrane will help. And, they've engineered it differently so that if a key does need to be replaced, they can do so without sending the whole damned computer in for a top case replacement. That was just bad engineering / bad move by Apple. They lost a lot of money on poor thought there: three top case replacements (~$700-800 a pop) + a brand new MBP two years later because of that poor engineering.

I'm happy now though! I love my two additional cores (4 core to 6 core) and DDR4 memory boost. I also really like TrueTone. Don't really have much of an opinion on the T2 chip, however. Others have had issues with it, but I haven't.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

So it looks like you got a 15" MBP ... wasn't sure in initial post what model. This way it's easier to gauge your experience and how it could relate to others with similar machines vs de-similar (mine: 13" 2.3Ghz|i5|16GB|512GB SG).

Good initial post, hopefully you can elaborate more on the system, the workflows (not accessories) you're using: AppleScript, etc. Is your machine corporately managed using JAMF or completely personal?

goslowjoe

Suspended
Dec 22, 2017
I sometimes post comments and I visit this website everyday. The way some people complain you'd swear Apple only makes bad products. Since my first MacBook Pro bought in 2015, I now have five devices and I have NEVER had a single problem come update time. With each macOS update, I would download and install it immediately. The two MacBook Pro's have now gone from Yosemite, El Capitan, Sierra, High Sierra and Mojave without a rebuild (fresh install) or a hitch.

So yes, it is good to hear that there are also folks out there who enjoy their Macs. Then again, I wish I was invisible and stand behind them to see what happens when folks run into problems when updating their devices. Maybe I am just very lucky, or just apply common sense. I am no Apple expert, but I do have many years of IT (Windows-based) experience backing me up.

Mojave for me is absolutely awesome.

BarbaricCo

macrumors member
May 7, 2012
I just got a new Mac Pro. It's wonderful experience. Those glorious Mojave desktop backgrounds. And I really love dark theme.
In fact I love it so much that I will buy a new Mac mini.

Be positive
Say hello to everyone at Cupertino
And yes it's still miles better than PC with Android
But I can dream

And sorry :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.