Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Surfer13134

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 12, 2010
Florida
So I was in the market to get a new MB Pro and just saw the new program BestBuy launched. I qualified for 0% interest with a $4K limit. I figured I would give it a try since the payments were reasonable. I go ahead and place my order for the 16in M1 Max for in-store pickup. Bestbuy said the order would be ready in an hour so I figured I would go grab some lunch and run some errands then stop by the store to pick up the MB. After eating I stop by the store and noticed my order wasn't ready,(This is now 3.5 hours after placing the order) so I go into the store and talk to CS and they show the order is still pending authorization. So I contacted Citizens (Which is the bank that's running this program) and they said that even though I was approved for $4K, I have NO available credit. I asked how that is since I signed all the documents and even had a statement generated already. Their response was "They have no idea, and they had to escalate it" and they have NO eta on when this will get fixed.

So as of right now, I have a pending order that's stuck in processing, and since it hasn't authorized the charge Bestbuy can sell that computer at any time. So overall the program is extremely buggy and I recommend anyone that is interested in using this Upgrade+ program to hold off until they can figure this out.

I finally got someone at Citizens and it seems like even if you get approved for $4K and the computer you buy is below that amount, once you make the purchase it will remove the remaining credit. So it's a single loan for 1 order and whatever is left over is removed. However, apparently, their systems only see the $0 balance and not the order that was already placed. So now they are trying to figure out where the money went for this order. So far it's been about a 7-hour ordeal that I have been either in the store or on the phone with Citizens in the parking lot.

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
I'm glad you wrote about this experience. That's just ridiculous and very sloppy handling on BB/Citizen's part. Hope it gets resolved for you quickly.

Surfer13134

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 12, 2010
Florida
Ok so finally it went through. Someone from the care team at Bestbuy corporate had to do something. So apparently you have your line of credit from Citizens (They said this is different than the IUP because IUP is a loan and this is a line of credit) once you make your purchase that line of credit is now done (So its not like a credit card so you can keep adding things on after you make your purchase). The issue that was confirmed by both Bestbuy and Citizens is that as soon as the Bestbuy order was placed it hit my Citizens account, however, it was just a Preauthorization as Bestbuy doesn't fully pull the money until they pull the order, and its ready for pick up (In case their inventory is off and they dont actually have the product) So what happened was when BestBuy sent over the preauth to Citizens, they took it as a full charge and closed the line of credit, So when Bestbuy went to go hit Citizens again for the charge it was getting rejected because Citizens already closed the credit line. So it took Bestbuy Corporate Care and Citizens to reopen the credit line and charge it again.

I asked the Bestbuy care agent do they not test these things before they roll this feature out to customers? Because this should have been something that was caught right away.

Anyways I was FINALLY able to pick up the MBP this morning, however, a few things I did in fact find out from the store Manager today (Because Yesterday both the store manager and the Geek Squad manager had NO idea what I was talking about and tried to argue with me that it was only an Apple Store thing until I showed them the program on BB website).
First, since the SN of this MBP is tied to Citizens, If it's defective in any way they can NOT replace the unit, I will have to return the MBP to the store and then wait to get it refunded and then place a new order. (The other thing that Citizens has no idea about is if this line of credit closes if the product is returned as the IUP program does, so I will have to apply again, or will they keep the line of credit open so I can just place a new order without having to go through the whole application process again). This also goes for if I wanted to switch computers, so since Bestbuy has their Holiday Return policy now, If Apple releases the new MBP next month I will have to return this and get the refund and place a new order, they cant do swaps since again this is tied to the SN of the computer.

So right now the program is defiantly full of bugs and obviously, the store reps have no clue about the program or how it works.

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
Does this really seem worth it especially with the S/N being tied to Citizens? If you needed to return it, it sounds like the potential for screw-ups is high. Although I think you might have meant "definitely full of bugs," defiantly also works in considering what's happened with your order.

Surfer13134

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 12, 2010
Florida
Much easier to buy on the credit card of choice and pay off before interest charges accrue.

Best Buy and Citizens are chumming the waters looking to lure people in.

This isn’t a good program.
My loan had no interest on it which is why I choose to move ahead with it, at the end of the term at month 37 I will privately sell it to recoup more than double the final cost will be (My final cost will be $530 on month 37 and I know I will be able to easily get at least $1K for it).

Alphafoxtrot71

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2022
So I was in the market to get a new MB Pro and just saw the new program BestBuy launched. I qualified for 0% interest with a $4K limit. I figured I would give it a try since the payments were reasonable. I go ahead and place my order for the 16in M1 Max for in-store pickup. Bestbuy said the order would be ready in an hour so I figured I would go grab some lunch and run some errands then stop by the store to pick up the MB. After eating I stop by the store and noticed my order wasn't ready,(This is now 3.5 hours after placing the order) so I go into the store and talk to CS and they show the order is still pending authorization. So I contacted Citizens (Which is the bank that's running this program) and they said that even though I was approved for $4K, I have NO available credit. I asked how that is since I signed all the documents and even had a statement generated already. Their response was "They have no idea, and they had to escalate it" and they have NO eta on when this will get fixed.

So as of right now, I have a pending order that's stuck in processing, and since it hasn't authorized the charge Bestbuy can sell that computer at any time. So overall the program is extremely buggy and I recommend anyone that is interested in using this Upgrade+ program to hold off until they can figure this out.

I finally got someone at Citizens and it seems like even if you get approved for $4K and the computer you buy is below that amount, once you make the purchase it will remove the remaining credit. So it's a single loan for 1 order and whatever is left over is removed. However, apparently, their systems only see the $0 balance and not the order that was already placed. So now they are trying to figure out where the money went for this order. So far it's been about a 7-hour ordeal that I have been either in the store or on the phone with Citizens in the parking lot.
I was approved for this but my question is I haven’t received any emails or texts about anything. It’s been 12 hrs. I did notice it said up to 24hrs on the approval page. How long did it take everyone else who has applied on here? I figured I would’ve received something by now even if it was an email that says congratulations you’ve been approved. Anything I’ve applied for in the past I have received something in that nature.

Matrix1776

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2020
I'm glad I read this article, I was just about to place the order. Easy enough to "rent" it and then make an easy $500 payment at the end on the 16". Question: why would someone return it for an upgrade, and not buy and resell?

Anyways there are FAR better options. I have the money easily in savings, but often times I'll use Affirm for the 0%. It works flawlessly and their loans are super simple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.