Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Digidesign

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2002
Where did I mention I "ONLY" play games in this machine??? "its the game and not the system as everything else runs super fast." did you read the everything else runs fine part?? Meaning other apps.

You're not alone, I also have the 1900XT and get graphic artifacts sometimes while playing WoW. Stock fan. Funny thing is, WoW on PC via Bootcamp doesn't have the same problems.

I've always attributed the problem to the game code. Then again I only get the artifacts after playing awhile, and the fan is running loud so it may be an issue with overheating. I'm still searching around, if I find anything I will post it here.

Here's a link to Blizzard's posting about Mac graphic issues

There's also a new patch released today, so maybe that addresses some of the graphic concerns.

dusanv

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2006
I'm still on the stock cooler (waiting for someone to start stocking the TMG AT1 in Canada at a reasonable price - all $50 so far) and I get no artifacts what so ever gaming in OS X, Windows or Linux. I drive the card pretty hard (playing at 2560x1600) but I don't have WoW.

djray77

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2007
well it seems that after updating wow with the new patch its alot better no more gliching graphics. I really think its a blizzard issue and not a cooling IMO.
If it was cooling wouldnt everything that puts a good load on the card suffer the same type of issue?? not just playing wow.

Mongus

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2006
New York
I have a Mac Pro with the ATI card and the Arctic cooler, driving 2-23" ACD's I have not had any problems with WOW and graphfic glitching. I would also point out that WOW is not a universal App so it is haveing to do the rositta translation. This could be why it dose no compare with a comprable PC running WOW. I pearsonaly have not tried WOW on a pc so I don't know what the diffreance is, but I have no complants about how it looks or runs on my MacPro.

mactree

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 3, 2006
That seems like great news then if this problem was caused by wow, and if the new patch fixed it. Sweet!

The tough part about trouble shooting this whole thing, has been that wow really was the only app pushing the video card to those limits.. so it really could have easily been do to problems with cooling. :eek:

miniConvert

macrumors 68040
Odd... reading about all this glitching - I play WoW on my Mac Pro (under OS X of course) with as-is X1900XT driving a 30"ACD at full resolution and have never, ever, had artifacts of any sort. It's just perfect, flawless, smooth, lickable. I hear the fan kick in, but I'd totally expect that, and it's no louder than other graphics cards I've used.

The Mac Pro, X1900XT, 30" ACD and WoW is just heaven. I seem to spend most of my time taking screenshots to dribble over.

Edit: I think the capability of graphics cards can vary quite a bit from one card to the next. There's really a lot of pot luck in it. I have an X850XTPE on my computer at home that can barely be overclocked without falling over.

damado

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2006
I'm getting artifacts in Eve online and the Lord of the Rings online beta also. I asked on the hardocp forums and people have posted that sometimes this just happens and it has nothing to do with cooling, just a faulty card. I'm going to buy applecare and see if they can send me a replacement as I don't want to have to take this into a store and leave it b/c I use this computer every day. I'm just wondering if applecare will send me a new card or make me take it in.

wfehres

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2006
I'm running the following...

Mac Pro 3Ghz
X1900
4GB Ram
30" ACD

I started getting these graphical glitches after the 2.03 patch and now my machine locks up frequently after the glitches get extreme.

I installed the X2 cooler on the X1900 shortly after buying the Mac Pro and had absolutely no problems for the longest time. I played wow at 2560x1600 with everything cranked up and zero glitches. Then the 2.03 patch came out along with the Burning Cursade and now i get a ton of graphic problems and lockups.

I've been following this thread at Blizzard concerning this issue...

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=64187208&sid=1&pageNo=1

When i'm not playing WoW, the machine performs perfectly and as expected.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.