Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LAS.mac

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2009
Mexico
Just came back from dropping off the laptop... Apple said it'll take 5 days to replace the logic board and fan... :confused:

Seriously? I can take apart a car in 5 days and put it back together...

And, probably from the car take apart / back together job, you also gain some spare screws and bolts...:D

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
Just came back from dropping off the laptop... Apple said it'll take 5 days to replace the logic board and fan... :confused:

Seriously? I can take apart a car in 5 days and put it back together...

I do believe that is what I said to expect. It is within the standard estimate that they give to repair it, you shouldn't be too surprised. Unfortunately the work is not always instantaneous :(

I'm sorry to say that I highly doubt that it will be done in one day. Perhaps you'll be lucky since it is the latest rev, but count on more in the 3-5 day range :(

ayeying

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
i like ayeying too.

oh wait, thats me! :D

anyways, I did notice that (I went to the Stoneridge Mall's Apple Store, if anyone local knows where it is), and the genius took my air, went out of the store, and went into Macy's... I gotta admit, it was kinda... weird? lol

I do believe that is what I said to expect. It is within the standard estimate that they give to repair it, you shouldn't be too surprised. Unfortunately the work is not always instantaneous :(

I know, I kinda figured when you meant 3-5 days, you were stating that's how long it would take for parts to come in + labor... I didn't expect labor alone to take a week..

Vikz

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2007
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Wouldn't it be easier just to give me a replacement? That takes 10 seconds vs 5 days to remove a dozen screws... lol

lol

The problem is that apple wants to know what do we pass through warranty and when, so all techs have to order the parts to the closest warehouse. Thats why it takes days for the repair to be completed.

when they say that parts are in stock its because they were for another apple computer but were not used for some reason. ;)

Plus hes giving you an almost brand new computer from the inside with the logic board and fan so thats really great

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
130ºF or 130ºC? Most people report their CPU temps in ºC.

This was a few minutes ago:
mr_somethingwrong02-092309.png

Hint: I don't live in a freezer.

So unfortunately that's in Celsius :(
I'm not a fan of losing my computer for a few hours, so 5 days I cannot do with.

still in school

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2009
Okay, just came back from the Apple Store. The genius took a look at the system, apparently, he didn't even bother doing a hardware test, just did a disk verify for some reason....

anyways, in the end, he ordered a new logic board and fan assembly and should arrive by wednesday. Afterwards, he said there's a good chance the system (if brought in, in the morning) I should be able to get it back the same day before closing.

Meanwhile, he said I'm able to use the system, just monitor the temperatures and make sure it doesn't hit 100 deg C. At that point, I should shut down the system and let it cool down, yadada.

Furthermore, I asked the genius about the battery. According to him, regardless if i have a 1 year warranty or 3 year (applecare), as long as my battery health drops under 80% before 750 cycles, I can go in and get it replaced. He did mention that I have a high battery cycle for a system purchased only 3 months ago. I'm at 251 cycles to this date

I will definitely keep that in mind!

ayeying

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
Okay so I dropped it off around lunch time and I got a call at 7pm. It's fixed and ready to pick up! 5 days my ass... The bad part, I was in class until 9... Same time as the store close... So I'm computer less until tomorrow 10am at the earliest...

I'm going crazy here since dad stole his iMac back in the evenings lol

stoconnell

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2009
Rockville (Despite REM's plea.)
Okay so I dropped it off around lunch time and I got a call at 7pm. It's fixed and ready to pick up! 5 days my ass... The bad part, I was in class until 9... Same time as the store close... So I'm computer less until tomorrow 10am at the earliest...

I'm going crazy here since dad stole his iMac back in the evenings lol

Heh. I guess it's a good thing that you should have it back tomorrow. It sure beats next week. Maybe the 5 days is their standard depot period but they did it in the store, or they give that as an estimate (on the off chance things are worse than originally expected once they crack it open) and then look like "heros" when they are able to get it back much faster.

ayeying

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
This was a few minutes ago:
mr_somethingwrong02-092309.png

Hint: I don't live in a freezer.

So unfortunately that's in Celsius :(
I'm not a fan of losing my computer for a few hours, so 5 days I cannot do with.

At this point, I think you have a bad thermal sensor inside the CPU instead of an actual overheating CPU... at 120 deg C detected by iStat, the system would've shut down a long time ago, or ramped up the enclosure temperatures excess of 45 deg C.

lol

The problem is that apple wants to know what do we pass through warranty and when, so all techs have to order the parts to the closest warehouse. Thats why it takes days for the repair to be completed.

when they say that parts are in stock its because they were for another apple computer but were not used for some reason. ;)

Plus hes giving you an almost brand new computer from the inside with the logic board and fan so thats really great

The genius did take my laptop out of the store... and went into JCPenny's or Macy's... lol

ayeying

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
Just came back from the Apple Store. They replaced the logic board and fan only. Didn't bother replacing my heatsink which I'd thought they would do, but whatever.

I took the lower panel off and visually inspected the work. Done pretty well considering I have taken it apart before. The only bad thing was they lost one of my screws :(. I talked with the genius about it and she said they'll need to replace the whole lower section of the system to fix that, but she also mentioned that I can bring whenever the system's still under warranty to get that thing fixed... so I decided to fix it at a later date since I can't go out without the laptop during the school semester.

They replaced my thermal paste also, Apple's thermal paste again... and they didnt' complain I used AS5 on the original board.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
At this point, I think you have a bad thermal sensor inside the CPU instead of an actual overheating CPU... at 120 deg C detected by iStat, the system would've shut down a long time ago, or ramped up the enclosure temperatures excess of 45 deg C.

I need my computer all the time as well, so I can't afford to take it the store and have them keep it for a few days. Anyways I have an appointment scheduled in an hour, so hopefully they can help me.

I don't want my computer to die a premature death. I'm getting sick of these Apple computers having issues.

Just came back from the Apple Store. They replaced the logic board and fan only. Didn't bother replacing my heatsink which I'd thought they would do, but whatever.

I took the lower panel off and visually inspected the work. Done pretty well considering I have taken it apart before. The only bad thing was they lost one of my screws :(. I talked with the genius about it and she said they'll need to replace the whole lower section of the system to fix that, but she also mentioned that I can bring whenever the system's still under warranty to get that thing fixed... so I decided to fix it at a later date since I can't go out without the laptop during the school semester.

They replaced my thermal paste also, Apple's thermal paste again... and they didnt' complain I used AS5 on the original board.

They lost a screw? That's not acceptable at all. You should have told them to order the part and then bring it in one weekend; bottom cover shouldn't take more than a few minutes.

ayeying

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
They lost a screw? That's not acceptable at all. You should have told them to order the part and then bring it in one weekend; bottom cover shouldn't take more than a few minutes.

They said there's a problem with the lower enclosure (not the panel) in which the screw won't go in so it requires an entire lower part of the laptop to be replaced.

However, on a more positive note, the fan is more active than my previous fan. It has hit 6200rpm twice, but each of those times, the fan quickly returned back to 2500rpm (within a minute :eek:). It seems the fan assembly is newer. even the circuit board for the fan is different colors.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
They said there's a problem with the lower enclosure (not the panel) in which the screw won't go in so it requires an entire lower part of the laptop to be replaced.

Oh I see; that happened to my former MacBook Pro (Oct 08); they had to replace the top case.

However, on a more positive note, the fan is more active than my previous fan. It has hit 6200rpm twice, but each of those times, the fan quickly returned back to 2500rpm (within a minute :eek:). It seems the fan assembly is newer. even the circuit board for the fan is different colors.

Well I got to the store. Told the Genius about my issue; a few minutes later, he's looking at my computer and then asks how I'm checking my temp. iStat of course, so he looks at that. Of course as luck would have it, the fan says 0rpm. The Genius takes it to back and looks like I need a fan too.

Part was not in stock, so I've been told to bring it back when it comes in and the work should be be done in few minutes. I hope that's the issue I have and I don't have to expect a new motherboard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.