Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MetalMatt24

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 18, 2012
So I just got an iPad Pro M1 12.9". I got the 11" and returned it for the 12.9"

Now that I have it I start thinking? did I really need this or did I just want it? I'm in no way an artist or a "creator" but do occasionally color with colored pencils and would like to get into the world of doing it digitally. I used to bring my iPad with me and run my music off it in my truck instead of my phone. This one does seem huge.

has anyone ever bought one and then started thinking after did I need this? Should I just have gotten the Air?
The Air would be a major upgrade from my "iPad" cheap that I had. But this seems to be the ultimate. I'm just coming up with excuses after excuses of why I really need it.

MhaelK

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2015
With the current state of the iPadOS being the limiting factor in the way we can use out iPads. I personally believe the budget iPad (especially with a rumored 9th on the Way) should be the default option for most people. Then up the model if special features are needed - compared to how most people just go for the most powerful version/newest design without looking at user-needs first.

Not saying the Air or the Pro is a bad buy, but for couch-surfing, watching Netflix, and Reading in bed the extra power is not really needed.

Username-already-in-use

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2021
Sure, 99% of us could settle for an entry-level iPad to do the stuff ‘we need’.

What about what the things we ‘want’: nicer screen, more RAM, faster CPU, laminated screen, maybe 120Hz refresh rate, maybe mini LED. Sometimes it is nice to have something nice, that makes our day a little nicer.

iPadified

macrumors 68000
Apr 25, 2017

Now that I have it I start thinking? did I really need this or did I just want it? I'm in no way an artist or a "creator" but do occasionally color with colored pencils and would like to get into the world of doing it digitally. I used to bring my iPad with me and run my music off it in my truck instead of my phone. This one does seem huge.

has anyone ever bought one and then started thinking after did I need this? Should I just have gotten the Air?
The Air would be a major upgrade from my "iPad" cheap that I had. But this seems to be the ultimate. I'm just coming up with excuses after excuses of why I really need it.
Do you like the device? Can you afford it? If you answer Yes on these, just stop brooding and enjoy the high end iPad.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
I think after getting the 11”you’d have realized the kind of premium device you’re about to purchase. The 12.9 is no different in that regard, just a tad bigger.

I’ll bet that the vast majority of users could make an entry level iPad work, but we chose not to for one reason or another.

Just test it in the return period and if it doesn’t suit your lifestyle, simply return it.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
This happened to me with the Air coming from an iPad 6th. Felt much more than I needed. Was very curious that feeling. I always wanted the high end iPads, but it felt too much power for just a tablet.

SalisburySam

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2019
Salisbury, North Carolina
I replaced my 12.9” iPadPro 1st generation with the 4th generation same device. My wife has an iPadAir that is working fabulously well for her but for my eyesight, clumsy screen-touching, need for a larger keyboard, and resistance to change I wanted another 12.9” device. I don’t need all the cameras (in 6 years have never once taken a picture with my iPadPro, and likely won’t ever), I got the same storage as before (minimum avail…cost issue), and am pleased with the faster performance from, presumably, the newer processor but certainly didn’t need any change. In fact, the only reason I upgraded from the 1st gen is that the case cracked. I just recently got the 4th gen, but I got it discounted since they are no longer the current model, and discounted again as I found a great one in Apple’s refurbished area. Couldn’t be happier. Looking forward to replacing it in 6 or so years for the 10th gen when the 11th gen comes out, and I can get a refurb’d 10th gen from Apple.

Danae02

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2020
I enjoy mine with zero guilt. I love the larger screen and gorgeous image quality. I use mine a lot for note taking for work with the pencil and pretty much all the tasks I’d be using a home computer for. Lots of Netflix, reading and web browsing. It’s nice and makes my day a little better.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
No. I went for the 12.9 (2021 version now) because I wanted the larger screen as an upgrade from a 10.5. Zero regrets here. Did I really need it? Nope. Did I really want it? Yep.

Same. More want rather than need. While I already had the 2017 12.9, I did upgrade for FaceID, 1TB storage, Crayon-support and to a lesser extent, M1, 16GB RAM and 5G.

I used to upgrade whenever Apple released higher storage tiers but the 2018 1TB costing $1900 and the 2020 being almost the same as the 2018 had me delaying for a few years.

profcutter

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2019
Ah, I don’t regret it one bit. I have a 2020 12.9 that I got for teaching duties. It’s ended up doing much of my everyday computing. There are things I still need the MacBook Pro for, but I found some surprising advantages to the iPad. Moodle, for example, runs so much faster on the iPad, with no spinning wheels and no blasting fan. At some point, I’ll replace my 2015 macbook Pro, but the ipad has delayed that obligation, at least till something better comes out on the larger MacBook Pro side.

Reactions: jazz1

MPclk2006

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2013
Texas

I like the idea if a 12.9, but I have no need for it as far as the screen size since I have a Macbook and I feel like I wouldnt use it as much because of the size. I have the 11 and love it, before that I had the 10.5.

Lukomaldini

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2018
Mine is epic, I would imagine there are a lot of features that i dont particularly notice but would miss if they were gone, larger screen, 120hz, miniled. I just stream some HDR content then im reminded how good the display is. I feel guilty not using it! When i do any programming it feels weird to be using a 2013 retina over a brand new device...

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken

An iPad Pro sounds like overkill for your uses. Even the Air would be. The 8th Gen iPad is a great device and would do everything you would need it to for far less money. But then again, you don't want to be THAT guy among your friends and acquaintances who cheaped out while they all had iPad Pros. :)

evbtfre56

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2020
I’ve had a 12.9 for 2 years. Used it almost every day; great for web, etc. Personally never liked typing on tablet, so I’d use my mac for that. Recently decided to give in and order a magic keyboard, huge price tag on top, but i’m surprised at how functional my ipad has become; basically a laptop and I now use it connected to keyboard all the time. Buyers remorse may be price tag remorse. If you use it a lot and it is still working in 10 years, one time cost may be worth it.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
An iPad Pro sounds like overkill for your uses. Even the Air would be. The 8th Gen iPad is a great device and would do everything you would need it to for far less money. But then again, you don't want to be THAT guy among your friends and acquaintances who cheaped out while they all had iPad Pros. :)

Honestly, I think I'm the only one in my circle who spends $$$$ on iPad Pros. Most have the iPhone Pro/Pro Max and either no iPad or just the basic iPad.

Me? Cheap iPhone (SE2) + high capacity iPad is more my speed.

iPadified

macrumors 68000
Apr 25, 2017
I think the capitalistic world would go under if we only bought the base iPad type of things. Think cars, clothings, food, beverages, boats (you name it) only meeting the "need" for survival or base function. Sounds bleak, boring and is the signature of totalitarian states. A bit of luxury sweetens the life a little.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I know the iPad Pro 11 is overkill for my usage. But, for the first time this year, I went out of my way to try a mini, air, and no iPad .... yeah, once you go Pro, you're not going back. The iPad Pro is just so more pleasant to use, especially for the way I personally use it.

I've read 29 books on it so far this year. So I justify it not saying I NEED it, but I want it and I really like using it. Taking handwritten notes in Notability is far better on the Pro 11 than the mini or Air. Playing YouTube with surround sound is ... so much nicer. Scrolling Macrumors is so much smoother. That resolution difference between the Air 4 and Pro 11 was ever so slightly different but it bugged me - As someone who can sit down and read a book for 6 hours straight, the Pro 11 just looks sharper and feels better.

The way I look at it is, my wife and I don't hit up Starbucks everyday - that alone pays for the tablet in a year. I don't need to justify it, just saying, most people have hobbies that are way more cost/year than an iPad, especially if you keep the iPad for several years.

Like @iPadified mentions - I get a LOT more enjoyment out of my iPad Pro 11 than I would without. As someone who reads a LOT - yeah, I am good with this purchase.

But yeah, I've had times where I thought, wow, I could have spent that $1200 on something else. But then I look at it over a timespan - if I keep the iPad Pro 11 for 3 years or more, that's only $400/year. If I keep it 5 years (I probably won't, just saying) - that's only 240/year. I can think of a LOT more expensive hobbies/habits. (Just don't make the mistake of justifying a ton of purchases this way).

My family/relatives have benefited from my indecision this year. :)

PhillyAnt

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2013
Philly
Has anyone ever bought one and then started thinking after did I need this? Should I just have gotten the Air?
I ALWAYS do this lol. I tend to go overboard and buy the best of the best, even if I don’t need it. I did not need to have this 1tb M1 12.9" iPad Pro that I’m replying to you on, but I wanted it and the “questioning my decision“ part went away a few days after owning it. I love it! Did I need to spend $2k on an iPad? Hell no.

Reactions: Retrostarscream

kkclstuff

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2015
NYC
if the cost isn't the source of your regret... enjoy it.
if it is... "lesson learned, easy to be returned"

Last edited:
Reactions: TVreporter

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
Even though I've had my 2021 12.9" Pro for some time now, I'm still going to reserve my final judgement when I see what iOS 15 does for this higher end iPad.

I do sometimes wonder if buying an iPad Air, and a MacBook Air would make more sense for most people (especially when you factor in the cost of the Apple Magic keyboard).

The iPad Pro works well for me due to its versatility.

FMRWin10Boy

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2021
No I did at first but concluded it was a good purchase. I spend most of my time working on a desk and it’s nice to move to the couch or take my work outside. I find it helps my mental state. I don’t view the iPad Pro as a laptop replace by any means. However, I think Apple is heading in the direction in which professionals could do 100% of their work on an iPad, but it’s not there right now. I can only do about 40% of my work on it. But during that 40%, I’m away from my desk!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.