Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brgjoe

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 6, 2014
Central IL, USA.
I was going to buy an unlocked iPhone SE. But my coworker sold me his iPhone 8 plus when he upgraded. And it is unlocked.

So...I already have an iPhone 8 now. I am Sprint currently. My guess is even though the iPhone 8 plus is unlocked, the Sprint Sim card in my current iPhone will not work by just swapping it in, right? I think you still have to call Sprint, don't you?

I was thinking of going prepaid/pay as you go anyway on the new unlocked iPhone 8 plus anyway. If I do, can I still use the iCloud thing to download all my app's and stuff on my new unlocked iPhone 8 plus? Can I have two iPhones that connect to the iCloud? Or all my app's and stuff specific to each individual iPhone?

If I go with a non contract plan, which service do you recommend?

Both phones will be using the same Wifi connection, btw.

Thanks!

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
A few things…

1. Whether you can actually use your new unlocked 8 on Sprint is dependent on the model of iPhone it is. If it's the AT&T/T-Mobile model it won't work on Sprint because it's a GSM phone only and Sprint is CDMA.

2. If it's a CDMA model, then yes, it can be used on Sprint. But Sprint doesn't allow hot swapping of SIMs. Every time you wanted to swap your Sprint SIM between phones, you'd need to call them and give them the ESN of your phone and the serial on the Sprint SIM so the phone can be paired and allowed on their network.

3. iCloud is an Apple service. You can use your Apple ID on as many devices as you wish.

brgjoe

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 6, 2014
Central IL, USA.
Thanks for the reply!

I was told this iPhone would work on both GSM and CDMA networks. So it should work on Sprint.

Though it is too bad that the Sprint sim isn't swappable like some of the others. I think I do remember now I had to call Sprint to get my new iPhone activated last year. Annoying.

Thanks for iCloud info too. Great to be able to have the same app's available on the other phone as I do my daily driver.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.