Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MondyMontes3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 20, 2024
I have a 2017 MBP 4 thunderbolt 3 ports wifi and I bought a 1T multiport flash drive for TMB. The drive is set up to autobackup and after a few days without touching the drive plugged into a port on the MBP it tells me a backup failed. I have to unconnect unmount the drive and reset the backups; manual delete the backups then reallocate the drive to TMB to get it to work. DU did not work to clean the drive even after a FA. I did some research and found going into recovery was not fool proof and in house terminal failed as well. I am a computer student and keep a dual boot WIN11 LinuxMint. I had to put the FD on the LM and format the disk to ExFat and then turn to the MBP and reassociate the drive to TMB. The thing is it took to long and switching computers and distros is a never happen; then the user is in a something wicked this way comes nightmare. Comment to your delight and thank you.

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
1T multiport flash drive for TMB.
Flash storage a terrible medium for Time Machine backups. Not only is flash memory super slow for random read/writes but flash memory sticks tend to overheat with prolonged writes, causing data loss. Recommend you get an external USB HDD which are super cheap, anre fast enough for backups, and will last. What is the brand, model and specs of your flash storage?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.