Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
well here's something weird going on. when i stand my computer up, the temps go up. and when i lay it down, they go back down. here is a youtube video of it.

but i do have a theory. the only thing i can think of is the cpu cooler isn't air tight, even though i screwed it as tight as i could. oh well, i guess i'll check it laid down

lordonuthin

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
well yeah, they are all close together. but only 1 of the cards did that. the others didn't get over 80C

Hmm, I have a machine with 3 cards and one of them runs at 90c while the others run at 70+. the other machine with 3 cards all run at 70c

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
well my last power bill was outrageous. so it looks i will be stop bigadv folding on 1 of my machines for now. i'm messing around with some server stuff as well. so i might get it back to folding when it gets colder

Angelo95210

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2009
Paris, France
Yep. I feel lonely here on MacRumors regarding distributed computing...

Seti is down since a couple of days...
I am now with Milkyway. Anyone else ?

lordonuthin

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
well my last power bill was outrageous. so it looks i will be stop bigadv folding on 1 of my machines for now. i'm messing around with some server stuff as well. so i might get it back to folding when it gets colder

That is too bad, my latest electric bill is about the same as it's been all summer.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
my power bill (which includes water and sewer) was $385 last month!

but i did finally get someone out to look at the a/c unit. i believe that is a big part of the problem. we'll see
we looked into it, our a/cs chew 30w each WHEN THEY ARE TURNED OFF! its insane. we now turn them off at the power box.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
well i got a new computer case and new cpu cooler last weekend, and today is the day i take one of my systems all the way down and build it back up.

the case is a Cooler Master 922 HAF. it was on sale for $89. the cpu cooler is a silenx extreme silent cpu cooler effizio. wish me luck! :cool:

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
well i got a new computer case and new cpu cooler last weekend, and today is the day i take one of my systems all the way down and build it back up.

the case is a Cooler Master 922 HAF. it was on sale for $89. the cpu cooler is a silenx extreme silent cpu cooler effizio. wish me luck! :cool:

Ohhh, nice. 922s are nice for medium sized builds...

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
Ohhh, nice. 922s are nice for medium sized builds...

yeah it was on sale, so i went ahead and got it. i'm on a budget these days. but still an upgrade from my previous case.

so i got it on, and the cooler as well. so far not that great. running at 3.7 ghz, the temps are in the low 80's C. not good. we'll see how it goes

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
i took my asus rig apart (that i bought from best buy) and put it in the old case i had. i added 3 fans to it, and i have it running at 3.8 ghz with temps right around 70 C. it has an H50 cooler in it.

so that's 2 rigs that will be running bigadv units now. i'll keep it at that though. my third i7 920 is running a web server, so just advmethods on it

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
i took my asus rig apart (that i bought from best buy) and put it in the old case i had. i added 3 fans to it, and i have it running at 3.8 ghz with temps right around 70 C. it has an H50 cooler in it.

so that's 2 rigs that will be running bigadv units now. i'll keep it at that though. my third i7 920 is running a web server, so just advmethods on it

For an H50, that's still too high temps for an OC. My 930, under -smp 8 settings with an H50 runs at 65C and 38C idle.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
For an H50, that's still too high temps for an OC. My 930, under -smp 8 settings with an H50 runs at 65C and 38C idle.

what case do you have?

i'm actually have problems with my northbridge temps on the asus. i think it's the motherboard. right now i have the case open and a box fan blowing air on it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.