Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
Hey,
I just wanted to share my experience that I've had at the Apple Store over the past couple of days. Back when I ordered my Mac Pro over the phone, I got in touch with a guy who introduced himself as my new personal rep from the business sales team from the local flagship store. He was super forthcoming and very communicative, and tried to answer all my questions as best as he could.
After I received my unit pretty quickly, he invited me to come over personally to take a look at the Pro Display XDR.
We set an appointment and he welcomed me with a colleague, they had reserved an entire hour just to answer all my questions about the new Mac Pro and the display. They let me bring my own video footage and I was playing a lot with the afterburner etc.

When they saw how wowed I was by the sheer performance of Final Cut on this machine, we entered a bit of a conversation about the state of FCP in the industry. As a professional editor with many colleagues who got burned by the release of X back in the day when 7 was ended, I could tell him quite a lot about the frustrating experiences I had several times when I tried to even just speak with colleagues about giving FCP another chance.
It became pretty obvious that he personally felt disgraced by what Apple had done back in the day and was even more proud to show, how far they have come now. Like the new Mac Pro, in conjunction with FCP is really a LOVE LETTER to film industry professionals, a huge tip of the hat from apple to all of us, trying to show that they still care.

He became quite energetic when I told him that here on this forum, someone had mentioned that Apple needs to make a major push forward beyond just releasing this machine, bringing on board some big name editors and directors to show how powerful this setup really is, and to not stop now. He really liked this thought and a few days later he reached out to me on the phone to discuss the idea of hosting a dedicated workshop in a special location, using their machines and some film equipment to showcase and answer the questions of local pros a bit deeper, outside of the store setting.

When I went again today to look at the XDR display again, I bumped into him again while he was about to leave the store in the evening, and he stayed with me for another 45 minutes, even walked with me to the subway to discuss this idea. He was so on fire about this, like really cared that the word gets out to people from the film industry that Apple is back for them. He was like "if we do this right, maybe one rank higher is gonna pick this up and they'll make something out of this in the US." (We're in Germany).

He's leading the local video/business department as it seems, not just a random red shirt, but someone with at least a small voice within the company.

I have to say It was absolutely lovely to see how Apple is not just a random corporation but the just a sum of people with a big passion for great products and solutions. I feel for him it's not even so much about selling products but about gaining back some trust from the disappointed flock of people who either left or got really angry about the long delay with the new mac pro.

I'm gonna try to help this guy to bring together some colleagues and clients of mine. The performance of FCPX and Davinci with afterburner on the new mac pro with XDR is really stunning. I feel with Premiere in it's current state, the machine is a bit wasted, but if you can use Final Cut, wow. It's the same like going from Lightroom to Capture1..

Adobe better get's their act together.

Just wanted to share this lovely experience, it was so heartwarming, I had to tell you guys ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.