Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
When (not if but when) it fails and you find out the hard way you'll hopefully be as gunshy as I am.

For me, I booted the floppy, it went all the way to 98%, reported FAILED and restarted to nothing. No POST. Dead. Didn't even tell me what failed or what I even did wrong. I was out the money for a motherboard and I never bought MSi ever again that's for sure. Soldered chips then too.

There are so many things you learn from the first time and never attempt again:

1. Sticking your arm into the lion enclosure at a zoo despite warnings to the contrary
2. Touching a hot electric stove burner (red is so enticing!)
3. Finding out what sticking a fork into an outlet really does (it's shocking!)
4. Forgetting to unplug the lamp before trying the potato trick to remove a busted bulb bottom
5. Sitting on a park bench with a rather expensive phone in your back pocket
6. Ruin a motherboard with a botched BIOS update
7. That a penny in a fuse box doesn't actually fix the problem
8. Plugging any expensive consumer electronics (such as a TV) into a 220V low-amp outlet by mistake

9. That cats aren't supposed to drink milk, rabbits aren't supposed to eat carrots, and holly berries are not food

10. when the car dash has 'unleaded fuel only' on it, putting diesel won't work very well or at all.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Knock on wood but in over thirty years of BIOS flashing have had zero issue. One time I bricked a Linksys WRT54GS router installing third party firmware but that was my early experience so chalked it up to n00b mistake. Need to get around to building a JTAG cable so I can recover and flash FreshTomato which runs great on the other working routers.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
I never thought it were possible to brick the famous WRT54G routers. Don't they still sell the darned things?

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Seems like a common issue with clearing nvram on v1.1. Pretty sure they've long been discontinued and are rather limited in usability except for maybe connecting hotspot to LAN/WLAN and my powerline adapters need a continuous ping to keep them awake so this is a better fit than wasting a Raspberry Pi.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.