Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macdogpro

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2020
I played detective with my X wife before our divorce .... This stuff will eat you alive. You'll be carrying this crap around all day with you. The truth will eventually come out either way, don't go crazy in the process. An easy technique to find cheaters is to be mysterious yourself, text message away from him, lock your phone, change your wardrobe up, whatever. See if he accuses you.
I second this.
The truth will reveal it self when you are being true to yourself. Personal experience with mine.

Just a thought, if I was trying to hide something, I would:

1. secure the burner phone with a complex password that only I know
2. not leave the burner phone somewhere that others can easily find
You’d be surprise of a rookie cheater that would do something very sloppy, even though they are very mindful with other things in their life. Also personal experience with mine.

steelhauler34

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2019
Reboot an account?

Good lord you know what the hell I meant. When he logged back into the old phone again it loads contacts from the cloud. If there are new contacts in the old phone that aren’t in his daily user they didn’t come from the cloud and they just don’t magically reappear after a phone is wiped therefore he probably added them after the fact. IE he’s lying.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Good lord you know what the hell I meant. When he logged back into the old phone again it loads contacts from the cloud. If there are new contacts in the old phone that aren’t in his daily user they didn’t come from the cloud and they just don’t magically reappear after a phone is wiped therefore he probably added them after the fact. IE he’s lying.

Or maybe he’s not using iCloud on that old phone. Or hasn’t in a while. We can’t say for sure as we don’t know.

And no, I had no idea what “the hell” you meant. Thanks for providing some clarification.

Devin Breeding

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2020
Conway SC
Seems not the best place to seek marital advice so I will offer none. All I will say is I wipe and restore mine and my wife’s old iPhones sometimes when I’m in a tinkering mood. I keep up to date on current relevant contacts in my iCloud but others probably not so much and it would be easy to restore from an old backup that could cause a jumble of old and new contacts.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
If the old phone JUST had his ex’s number, I’d be more suspicious, but why would he put OP’s number in a “burner” phone that he’s using for an affair? Why would he put a bunch of old co-worker’s numbers? IMO it does sound like some old version of iCloud contacts synced on to the phone.

I’ll leave the marriage therapy and relationship advice to others.

Reactions: rui no onna

eRondeau

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2004
Canada's South Coast
To be clear, the problem here is not an old iPhone 8.

Might be time to decide if exclusivity or honesty is more important in your marriage. If you demand lifelong exclusivity (ie- neither one of you will ever think about another potential relationship as long as you live) then this one is probably over. If however you're both capable of being honest with each other you might find some common ground to make positive changes that will benefit your marriage. An angry knee-jerk divorce can be much easier than actually working to fix problems on both sides that will make your relationship stronger in the long run.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013

Not necessarily. That could also happen as a result of merging two iCloud accounts (e.g. restore from old account backup, sign out, sign and sync with active account) or syncing an offline backup.

I tinker with iOS devices and run betas (not on my primary device/iCloud account) so I've done some merging once in a while.

Reactions: ericwn

Starshadow

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2012
Every time I set up a new iPhone the embarrassing contacts from my past come back to haunt me.

In a way, it's a tradition at this point.

Reactions: PlayUltimate
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.