Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you think it looks good?

• Yes

Votes: 15 71.4%
  • No

Votes: 6 28.6%

• Total voters

macduke

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
EDIT: Added more photos a few posts down.

I installed a space gray iMac Pro skin wrap on my 2019 iMac 5K. So not only does it have a faster i9 CPU than the base model iMac Pro, but it also looks the part! I'm calling it the iMac 5K Pro. I don't think I've seen anyone else post this here, so I'll try to answer some questions. I haven't decided if I'm going to keep it on yet, but if I do I may get the matching keyboard and mouse at some point.

iMac-5K-Pro.jpg

I'm a little bit of a perfectionist and I couldn't get it on as precisely as I had hoped. It's not bad. I had all my studio lights on while applying it so that I could get it lined up as well as possible and get the bubbles out. With only my backlight on, which is how I normally work if I'm not painting or taking photos, it's not bad and the imperfections are far less noticeable. I like how the whole thing is less distracting now with the space gray.

The problem is that if you have to reapply it to make small adjustments like I did, it stretches it out a bit when removing it, which leads to an imperfect fitting. On the left side is where it stretched out, and it came up off the bottom slightly and I couldn't get it to stay down so there is a small sliver of silver that I notice when I have my overhead lights on. I trimmed it a little on the left where it was hanging off with an exacto knife, and even though I have good craftsmanship, it was very difficult to get a clean line down that side with the material slipping around on the aluminum where it folded over slightly.

It's important to note that it only covers about halfway up the stand to the circle cutout, and it doesn't cover the back at all, so this is only really for people who don't have the back of their iMac visible or don't mind it only looking like an iMac Pro from the front. It works well for me. I bought it from Slickwraps when they had a 70% off sale a couple weeks ago and it took them forever to ship it but it finally arrived today. So it was like $9 plus $3 shipping. I wouldn't pay the full $30 for it, but I think if you use your iMac in a darker room where you're less likely to notice imperfections, or if you're better at applying this stuff than I am, it's not half bad. I think it looks a little better in the photo than in person. But it does have a sort of nice aluminum texture to it up close. Also they kinda squared off the top of one of the humps on the Apple Logo slightly, which is mildly annoying but not very noticeable in this darker room.

Overall it's about what I expected which is why I didn't want to pay full price. Time will tell if I keep it on, but while writing this review it hasn't been bugging me and I actually quite like it. Though that left edge I might try to trim just a little bit more.

Last edited:

macduke

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
Not very clear, take more photos!!!
Ok, I will try to tonight. I set a reminder. I will try to trim up the left side a little more too. It was about a perfect fit before I stretched it out from reapplying. If you get it, you probably want to try to get it within the first couple attempts. If I had to do it again, I'd have laid it down to apply it. Trying to hold it up vertically without being able to rest it and make small adjustments was stupid of me.

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
You say it doesn't cover the back at all? Just the front "chin" and front visible portion of the stand?

Wow ... that is a shame, and misleading advertising as well.

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
Thank you!!! I've been looking for something like this. A while back I purchased the space grey Apple mouse, keyboard and trackpad thinking Apple might come out with a Space Grey iMac. It didn't happen so now I'm stuck. This will help everything look great! I just ordered one. The Easter sale is still going so its really cheap!

Reactions: ruslan120

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
i did the same thing with my new 21", and also.. didn't quite get it right (the line of silver at the bottom); so, yes, on sale... and i have another skin coming. and will get it better this time (i should get the base better too, but no one ever sits low enough to see that part!).

plus, sold my new magic mouse2 on ebay, and got the dark magic mouse 2 (also ebay). nice!

imacskin3.jpeg

Last edited:

TheSufle

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2019
I cut it myself,from the vinyl sheet I bought.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    139.2 KB · Views: 599

macduke

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
Ok, here are the additional photos I promised. I also took one with my mirrorless (first photo), as I figured I might as well take a photo of my desk setup and post it to that part of the forum after this. I built my studio in my basement last summer and now it's complete with the iMac 5K Pro, lol.

Yeah, you can see my crap cutting on the left side in that photo, but that's the part that you never really see because it faces towards the wall on my corner desk. It was like trying to cut soap with that vinyl on aluminum, and it's barely hanging over so it kept sliding to the front. I was worried I was going to make it worse so I stopped. Trying to cut in place is a no go, even if you have a steady hand and a sharp #11 blade. Don't be like me. Set it down and position it lightly and get it right the first or second try, not the third or fourth to the point it stretches out.

_ACD1968.jpg

IMG_1872.jpg

IMG_1873.jpg

IMG_1874.jpg

IMG_1876.jpg

IMG_1878.jpg

IMG_1879.jpg

IMG_1880.jpg

IMG_1881.jpg

IMG_1882.jpg

That last one looks more obvious than it does IRL. When you're sitting above/in front of it you don't notice that. This is also with my directly overhead desk light on, which I only use for drawing/painting.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Ok, here are the additional photos I promised. I also took one with my mirrorless (first photo), as I figured I might as well take a photo of my desk setup and post it to that part of the forum after this. I built my studio in my basement last summer and now it's complete with the iMac 5K Pro, lol.

That last one looks more obvious than it does IRL. When you're sitting above/in front of it you don't notice that. This is also with my directly overhead desk light on, which I only use for drawing/painting.

you have a sliver of silver (say that 3x fast!) at the bottom too; is the skin slightly too short? am wondering if the replacement i ordered will have that exact same issue (as that happens with mine too). something to tell the company (& mine also seems a hair too long on the right)....

macduke

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
you have a sliver of silver (say that 3x fast!) at the bottom too; is the skin slightly too short? am wondering if the replacement i ordered will have that exact same issue (as that happens with mine too). something to tell the company (& mine also seems a hair too long on the right)....
Yeah that's what I was referring to with my text at the end, but I didn't make it very clear since I was getting really tired by the time I posted that. I didn't really notice it until I took that lower angle photo with my lights up all the way. Doesn't bother me but I think it is slightly short. When I first applied it, the width seemed fine, but it stretched slightly from reapplying multiple times. If you try lowering it, then you have a more obvious stripe along the bottom of the black display bezel/top of the decal. It was my first time doing something like this but I think it is slightly off top to bottom and my Apple logo had that slightly flattened/squared off hump on the top left so I think it's not the best decal. Also the sharp point on the top of the Apple bite tore slightly when I removed it, but I think that's my fault because I pulled it off too quickly. Live and learn. But in my darker studio setup I think it looks good enough, and if it starts to annoy me I'll just pull it off and have wasted a few bucks. But I'm still hesitant to order matching Space Gray accessories. Although I suppose those will still look badass even if I pull the decal off. I think there was a rumor about an updated keyboard, maybe with backlight or Touch ID coming with the Mac Pro so maybe I'll wait to see if that pans out.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Yeah that's what I was referring to with my text at the end, but I didn't make it very clear since I was getting really tired by the time I posted that. I didn't really notice it until I took that lower angle photo with my lights up all the way. Doesn't bother me but I think it is slightly short. When I first applied it, the width seemed fine, but it stretched slightly from reapplying multiple times. If you try lowering it, then you have a more obvious stripe along the bottom of the black display bezel/top of the decal. It was my first time doing something like this but I think it is slightly off top to bottom and my Apple logo had that slightly flattened/squared off hump on the top left so I think it's not the best decal. Also the sharp point on the top of the Apple bite tore slightly when I removed it, but I think that's my fault because I pulled it off too quickly. Live and learn. But in my darker studio setup I think it looks good enough, and if it starts to annoy me I'll just pull it off and have wasted a few bucks. But I'm still hesitant to order matching Space Gray accessories. Although I suppose those will still look badass even if I pull the decal off. I think there was a rumor about an updated keyboard, maybe with backlight or Touch ID coming with the Mac Pro so maybe I'll wait to see if that pans out.

my first time doing this too, was very careful. if the replacement skin has the same issue, will let the company know... this shouldn't be. but, even with the sliver at the bottom (something apple would never allow), am still happy with it.

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
I got one and noticed the same thing. The decal comes up a bit short if you line up the top to the screen. The bottom shows silver. I ordered another one and will try again

Attachments

• 61E0A7D0-CCAD-4E7B-B972-0487BCCB46F7.jpeg
    61E0A7D0-CCAD-4E7B-B972-0487BCCB46F7.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 587

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
I got one and noticed the same thing. The decal comes up a bit short if you line up the top to the screen. The bottom shows silver. I ordered another one and will try again

you've wasted your money... as did i. i got an email the 2nd order had shipped; a week later, the post office confirmed they had not received the package.

i contacted the company, several times. finally (almost a month after ordering) i got the package. and...

the 'replacement' had marks on the skin, was useless. so i threw it out, asked for a refund, and was told i'd have to return the second set to get a refund. add in the cost of return mail for the box... pointless.

it's mis-sized. the company is awful. so it goes..

Garyjones42

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2018
I think it looks good, looking at buying one myself. How close does it actually resemble the space grey iMac Pro?

ruslan120

macrumors 65816
Jul 12, 2009
This is an awesome idea. Kudos!
I’m not a fan of the left edge but overall looks terrific.
I would buy a black variant of this skin without the logo in a heartbeat.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.