Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ds2983

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2017
Illinois
Hello,

I tried doing some research on this but couldn't find much help. When using the app Speedtest on my iPad Air and iPhone 7 for some reason my iPad test results are significantly faster than my iPhone. iPad tests an average of 65 Mbps download while my iPhone 7 averages 30 Mbps download. Anyone have a similar problem or any ideas why this could be happening, or what I could do to speed up my iPhone?

Thanks in advance

Reactions: urbanleopard

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Hello,

I tried doing some research on this but couldn't find much help. When using the app Speedtest on my iPad Air and iPhone 7 for some reason my iPad test results are significantly faster than my iPhone. iPad tests an average of 65 Mbps download while my iPhone 7 averages 30 Mbps download. Anyone have a similar problem or any ideas why this could be happening, or what I could do to speed up my iPhone?

Thanks in advance

Your download speed's are based off your overall coverage with LTE signal strength. If your testing over Wi-Fi with the same connection, then your results should be similar, or the iPhone should have stronger results over the iPad.

Stefan johansson

macrumors 65816
Apr 13, 2017
Sweden
Your download speed's are based off your overall coverage with LTE signal strength. If your testing over Wi-Fi with the same connection, then your results should be similar, or the iPhone should have stronger results over the iPad.
As both devices where connected to same wi-fi,your answer is irrelevant. The difference asked about is caused by the faster and more capable hardware in the iPad,like more RAM,better processor capacity and so on.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
As both devices where connected to same wi-fi,your answer is irrelevant. The difference asked about is caused by the faster and more capable hardware in the iPad,like more RAM,better processor capacity and so on.

Wrong. If the device is being tested over wifi, it's using a completely different connection and download speeds with MBPS. Unless the iPad is LTE capable, then the measurements would be different based on signal strength for downloadable content. Also, the iPhone 7 should be faster than using LTE capabilities, which also depends on the overall test. Also, the hardware in iPhone 7 is easily faster over the iPad Air. And the OP never mentioned which generation of iPad Air he owns, which is something else to consider. Huge differences favoring the iPhone 7.

Last edited:

Ds2983

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2017
Illinois
The iPad Air is just the regular iPad Air wifi only. I thought the iPhone 7 would be faster if anything.

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I have an air 1 lte and iPhone 6s.

In have 25 meg service and over wi-fi connected to same host server with Speedtest, I get 14 Mbps for the air and 23 Mbps for the iPhone 6s.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.