Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FatPuppy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 14, 2012
My retina mini makes phone calls but I have facetime off, handoff off, bluetooth off. How can I stop this? I believe this is a waste of resources for both of the devices. The ipad and iphone just use the same apple id and same wifi connection.

AppleFan22

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2014
Go into Settings, Messages, Text Message Forwarding, and turn the slider thing to off. This should work. You should be able to do this on either device, and it'll turn it off on both.

FatPuppy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 14, 2012
Go into Settings, Messages, Text Message Forwarding, and turn the slider thing to off. This should work. You should be able to do this on either device, and it'll turn it off on both.

It's already off and that's for texting not phone calls, but thanks anyway.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
By "makes calls" are you saying you have the ability to make calls you initiate, or it's calling people on it's own?

Either way, sign out of your iCloud account, re-add it, then turn off the features. I had to sign in a second time to get handoff working on my devices, so maybe the reverse will be true for you.

FatPuppy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 14, 2012
By "makes calls" are you saying you have the ability to make calls you initiate, or it's calling people on it's own?

Either way, sign out of your iCloud account, re-add it, then turn off the features. I had to sign in a second time to get handoff working on my devices, so maybe the reverse will be true for you.

Yes, I can initiate calls from my ipad. I disabled icloud and re enabled what I need, contacts, notes and icloud drive and I can still make phone calls from ipad. Facetime is off.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Yes, I can initiate calls from my ipad. I disabled icloud and re enabled what I need, contacts, notes and icloud drive and I can still make phone calls from ipad. Facetime is off.

How are you initiating calls? :confused:

Not rhetorical, I'm asking what steps you take.

FatPuppy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 14, 2012
How are you initiating calls? :confused:

Not rhetorical, I'm asking what steps you take.

I go to the contacts app on ipad and when I go to my mother, there is the "phone" button and when I press it, it makes the call. And my mom is on Android.:confused: I want to disable this because I don't use it and this is just another service active on my devices and I don't want to waste any resources by keeping active things that I don't need. I usually disable everything that I don't use.

----------

Ok, I finally did it. This is actually a bug. Facetime was off but when I enabled it, "iphone cellular calls" was on. Even if facetime is off, if "iphone cellular calls" is on (while facetime is off), you can initiate calls

cmichaelb

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
Italy
My retina mini makes phone calls but I have facetime off, handoff off, bluetooth off. How can I stop this? I believe this is a waste of resources for both of the devices. The ipad and iphone just use the same apple id and same wifi connection.

It's in Facetime settings on the iPad - I'd turn facetime back on, then toggle cellualr calls to off, then disable facetime.

Screen%20Shot%202015-04-06%20at%2011.28.50%20PM.png

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
odd, i have the iphone cellular calls option set to off in the facetime settings, but i can still initiate a call on my ipad from the contacts app. going back into settings on the ipad, the iphone cellular calls option is still off...?

note facetime is on, just the cellular call option is off

EDIT: when i wrote this i just quickly ended the call right after starting it - if i let it ring i get a popup that says in order to complete the call, both the iphone and ipad must be on the same wifi network...which they are?

im confused

Last edited:

cmichaelb

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
Italy
odd, i have the iphone cellular calls option set to off in the facetime settings, but i can still initiate a call on my ipad from the contacts app. going back into settings on the ipad, the iphone cellular calls option is still off...?

note facetime is on, just the cellular call option is off

EDIT: when i wrote this i just quickly ended the call right after starting it - if i let it ring i get a popup that says in order to complete the call, both the iphone and ipad must be on the same wifi network...which they are?

im confused

Turn off facetime as well.

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
Turn off facetime as well.

This is probably an ultra stupid question, but can't i make facetime calls over wifi without the phone? The obvious answer would seem to be no, but people use facetime to talk internationally over wifi all the time for free, no?

If this isn't the case, I don't know why there would be both an option for facetime, and for the call option. seems they would be the same thing then.

cmichaelb

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
Italy
This is probably an ultra stupid question, but can't i make facetime calls over wifi without the phone? The obvious answer would seem to be no, but people use facetime to talk internationally over wifi all the time for free, no?

If this isn't the case, I don't know why there would be both an option for facetime, and for the call option. seems they would be the same thing then.

I have both settings turned off and my iPad mini 2 running iOS 8.3 never rings so its my best guess.

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009

You can make FaceTime calls without any sort of phone connection. The phone connection simply allows you to also make cellular calls using the iPad, which does require the phone.

FatPuppy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 14, 2012
As I said in my last post, even if facetime is off, if "iphone cellular calls" is on (while facetime is off), you can initiate calls

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.