Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DavidInSydney

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 18, 2012
Hi All,

I’ve had my iPhone 11 since I bought it new when it first came out in 2019. Only in the last 10 months, the screen has developed 4 large, deep ugly scratches – see photo. I can easily feel them with my finger nails. This has never happened before with any previous iPhone (other than the normal tiny scratches you get with use) and my first one goes back to the iPhone 3G.

Obviously I’m doing something different but what? It usually goes in the left trouser pocket which has nothing hard in it. Or is it a known problem? Will Apple fix the screen if it’s still under warranty or is there another solution?

Attachments

• iPhone 11 scratched IMG_2565.jpeg
    iPhone 11 scratched IMG_2565.jpeg
    475.5 KB · Views: 13,805

MacNerd01

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2021
The Psionic Plane
If it’s just cosmetic discrepancies, then Apple won’t fix it for you. If you really care about it getting fixed, you can bring it to a repair shop and get it fixed, or you can replace it yourself.

Reactions: Haamur

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
Scratches like these aren't typically covered under warranty unless you can prove that it was a defect. So you'll end up paying to fix it.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
That screen looks well used and has many impact marks. If you have AppleCare+ you can pay for a replacement but as far as Apple fixing it for free, highly unlikely

Reactions: Fred Zed

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
Glad you had a screen protector on! My phone would probably be scratched too if I didn’t have one.

Fred Zed

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2019
Florida Unfortunately
Hi All,

I’ve had my iPhone 11 since I bought it new when it first came out in 2019. Only in the last 10 months, the screen has developed 4 large, deep ugly scratches – see photo. I can easily feel them with my finger nails. This has never happened before with any previous iPhone (other than the normal tiny scratches you get with use) and my first one goes back to the iPhone 3G.

Obviously I’m doing something different but what? It usually goes in the left trouser pocket which has nothing hard in it. Or is it a known problem? Will Apple fix the screen if it’s still under warranty or is there another solution?
Time to trade up.

Reactions: Ram65

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
Hi All,

Ouch! That’s why I use a glass screen protector. I can replace it when I want… I suppose you should have done the same. Sorry about that. Apple store will replace it

Reactions: Andeddu and Ram65

Ram65

Suspended
Sep 20, 2014
Hi All,

Should of had a screen protector on . Time to upgrade that phone now

Reactions: Andeddu
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.