Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
How can i force restart the iphone? Please help, i cant use my iPhone at all

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
Sounds like you have a depleted battery. Try plugging the phone into the charger. Give a few minutes and then powering the phone.

Last edited:
Reactions: MacCheetah3

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
Sounds like you have a depleted battery. Try plugging the phone into the charger. Give a few minutes and then powering the phone.
The phone is still on as i am able to make a call with Siri, i tried to tell siri to restart the iphone and she said she isn't able to perform that action now, i dont know what to do my iphone is unusable.

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
Have you tried asking Siri to set the display to 100% brightness?
the thing is this, im actually trying to remotely help my mother who is having this issue that im talking about over the phone. my understanding was that her iphone was stuck on a black screen but she's saying that thats not he case and that she can see the home screen but nothing on the display works no matter what she clicks, she is able to raise screen brightness to 100% im assuming from the control center but nothing else she clicks on the screen works so i don't know what to make of this, i tried to guide her to do the volume up and vol down and then holding power button multiple times and she says that isn't restarting the phone. she can't even make calls or send texts unless she tells siri to do so which is how she is able to communicate with me otherwise he 11 pro is completely unusable but for some reason she is able to change the display brightness.

Should i just advice her to let the phone's battery die overnight by having the display on at full brightness and then plug it into power and that should probably solve it?

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
the thing is this, im actually trying to remotely help my mother who is having this issue that im talking about over the phone. my understanding was that her iphone was stuck on a black screen but she's saying that thats not he case and that she can see the home screen but nothing on the display works no matter what she clicks, she is able to raise screen brightness to 100% im assuming from the control center but nothing else she clicks on the screen works so i don't know what to make of this, i tried to guide her to do the volume up and vol down and then holding power button multiple times and she says that isn't restarting the phone. she can't even make calls or send texts unless she tells siri to do so which is how she is able to communicate with me otherwise he 11 pro is completely unusable but for some reason she is able to change the display brightness.

Should i just advice her to let the phone's battery die overnight by having the display on at full brightness and then plug it into power and that should probably solve it?
If your mother presses the vol up and releases it quickly, vol down and release it quickly, then holds the power button for 1 second, she does not see the "slide to power off"?

Since you are doing this remotely, what I would do, is have your mother take her phone into an Apple Store and see if they can help her. I sounds like it is be to triage this long remotely.

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
If your mother presses the vol up and releases it quickly, vol down and release it quickly, then holds the power button for 1 second, she does not see the "slide to power off"?

Since you are doing this remotely, what I would do, is have your mother take her phone into an Apple Store and see if they can help her. I sounds like it is be to triage this long remotely.
The slide to power off screen does NOT come up even after holding the power button for longer than 20 seconds

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
The slide to power off screen does NOT come up even after holding the power button for longer than 20 seconds
If your mother has a Mac computer, she could plug her phone into the USB port and try doing a Update through iTunes or Finder. This will refresh the OS and not touch her user data or apps. Make sure you tell her to only do the Update, not Update and Restore. Update and Restore will erase all the contents of the phone including all apps and user data.

Beyond that, Maybe the best thing is for your mother to take her phone into an Apple Store and see what they can do to help her.

Last edited:

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
i appreiciate all the help guys, she let the phone run out of battery and the phone shut off afterwhich she was able to plug it into the charger and the iphone booted up back as normal, this was one hell of a bug/glitch. i dont know why the force restart with the vol up down and holding power didn't force restart the iphone or maybe she wasn't following my direction correctly but im glad she managed to fix the iphone by letting the iphone run out of power.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.