Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

itsivannn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 10, 2018
Just went to the settings and was surprised that my battery capacity was at 99 considering how much I take care of my phone and charge it with 5w lol.

It’s been 28 cycles so far according to coconut battery. Is this normal? I’ve come across several topics about this online and some people somehow have their phones at 100% 6 months later…

Reactions: Clamjuice65

itsivannn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 10, 2018
However, this is my coconut stats. What is more accurate?

Attachments

• Снимок экрана 2023-03-23 в 11.01.48.png
    Снимок экрана 2023-03-23 в 11.01.48.png
    53.9 KB · Views: 245

ph001bi

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2015
London
Just went to the settings and was surprised that my battery capacity was at 99 considering how much I take care of my phone and charge it with 5w lol.

It’s been 28 cycles so far according to coconut battery. Is this normal? I’ve come across several topics about this online and some people somehow have their phones at 100% 6 months later…
I just checked mine which I got back in September and it's at 100%. I charge alternatively with a 5w and a 12w charger every night whatever the charge level.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Looking at the manufacturing date on coconut battery and you saying it has been with you just for a month I’d like to ask if you got it in full price from Apple or somewhere else?!

itsivannn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 10, 2018
Looking at the manufacturing date on coconut battery and you saying it has been with you just for a month I’d like to ask if you got it in full price from Apple or somewhere else?!
I got it from an authorised reseller in late February, so it has been with me for a month. Why are you asking?

Last edited:

Piscestg

Cancelled
Dec 11, 2022
I got my 14 PM from Apple on 9/16/22 and it's still at 100%. Like you I use a 5W charger most of the time and usually charge it to about 90 to 95%. Perhaps a few times in a month I will use the 20W charger and take it to 100%.

itsivannn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 10, 2018
Can the system battery health ever be inaccurate? Because I’ve seen some people having 100% for a while (months) and then the number would start rapidly dropping every few weeks.

Reactions: jchap

Piscestg

Cancelled
Dec 11, 2022
Can the system battery health ever be inaccurate? Because I’ve seen some people having 100% for a while (months) and then the number would start rapidly dropping every few weeks.
I think it could vary from one phone to another, and the same with watches. Whether it's inaccurate or not it's hard to say. But I'm not an expert on it so I could be wrong.

One other thing.....I'm sure you've done a soft reset at some point? I do that a time or two a week on our phones and watches.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
There are so many factors in play that it’s very difficult to say one or the other.

1. Age. Lithium battery degrades with age, along with usage.
2. Heat. Heat is the worse enemy for battery.
3. And any measurement is not 100% accurate, be it Apple’s or coconut battery. It can fluctuate since battery is chemical.

Apple also won’t replace it just because it goes to 99%.
I would just use the phone normally and do battery replacement once it reaches 80%.

Apple_Tiger

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2023
I'm pretty sure there are plenty of batteries that were made. I've seen 14 pro max that were made this year in January still had battery that was manufactured in October. My wife's 14 pro max was made in January but battery was manufactured in November.

Eitherway battery has been sitting on the shelf before it got installed on that phone.

itsivannn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 10, 2018
Not a big deal at all. All batteries are different and age differently. My 14 Pro Max is also at 99%.
When did you purchase it? I’m just kinda bummed my 12 Pro Max was at 100 for like 5 months yet this new phone barely sustained a month in that aspect…

rocketbuc

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2017
I have been looking at the stats for my 13 mini in Coconutbattery every few weeks. There are clearly fluctuations so looking at the % in any given moment does only provide a momentary snapshot. I would not worry about it too much. People here have treated (and mistreated) their batteries in multiple ways with completely different results.

winxmac

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2021
Check also the logs within the iPhone...

Settings --> Privacy --> Analytics & Improvements --> Analytics Data [iOS 15.6 RC]

log-aggregated-(date and time).ips

Battery Cycle Count -
Battery Max FCC -
Battery Min FCC -
Battery Design Capacity -
Battery Nominal Charge Capacity -
Battery Raw Max Capacity -

Battery Capacity as per Wikipedia - 4323 mAh

itsivannn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 10, 2018
Check also the logs within the iPhone...

Settings --> Privacy --> Analytics & Improvements --> Analytics Data [iOS 15.6 RC]

log-aggregated-(date and time).ips

Battery Cycle Count -
Battery Max FCC -
Battery Min FCC -
Battery Design Capacity -
Battery Nominal Charge Capacity -
Battery Raw Max Capacity -

Battery Capacity as per Wikipedia - 4323 mAh
Won’t these logs literally show the same thing as coconut battery considering that’s where the app takes the info from?

Reactions: TGM85

Timpetus

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2014
Orange County, CA
My 13 mini dropped very quickly at first, but has been holding steady at 88% for almost a year now. Battery health has an element of randomness to it, I wouldn't worry too much as long as it stays above 80% for the first two years. If it doesn't, Applecare+ will cover a battery replacement.

Reactions: TGM85

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
OP, I’m not sure what you want. You can measure it tomorrow with coconut battery and it can display a completely different number. I’m not sure stressing out on 99% will do anything. For all you know, it can show 99% for years to come. This measurements of battery chemical is not 100% accurate.

I have a used 11 Pro with original battery and it still shows 97% battery health.

itsivannn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 10, 2018
OP, I’m not sure what you want. You can measure it tomorrow with coconut battery and it can display a completely different number. I’m not sure stressing out on 99% will do anything. For all you know, it can show 99% for years to come. This measurements of battery chemical is not 100% accurate.

I have a used 11 Pro with original battery and it still shows 97% battery health.
Idk, my friend got the same model like 4 months ago and uses her phone 2x more than me yet hers is still at 100%. Makes me feel that something is wrong with my unit, but Apple won’t do anything obviously

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
When did you purchase it? I’m just kinda bummed my 12 Pro Max was at 100 for like 5 months yet this new phone barely sustained a month in that aspect…
I am a battery hobbyist. I have coconutBattery stats going back to my 6+.

Of all my apple devices that I've gotten from the factory MOST of them have been over design capacity. A few were under 100% design capacity. One was 96% from factory, and after almost 2 years of usage it was still 91%.

Most of my recent phones have been 102-104% of design capacity. This is why some people's phones sit at 100% health for long periods of time, and others who are at or below design capacity show less health earlier on.

To get a better picture of your battery health, you want to observe it from the day you got it - over a few months. AppleCare+ will replace your battery if it drops below 80% capacity in less than 2 years.

Batteries do not wear consistently. Sometimes they'll stay at a % for 6-10 months, other times they'll drop really fast in a few months, then taper off. It's a chemistry that isn't exact. Heat is the #1 killer of batteries. Wireless charging in the sun is going to destroy health like no tomorrow.

I would not be sad if my battery showed 99% a month after I got it. You can't really compare it to a different phone / battery without knowing the specifics. Wear is not like a glass of water dripping out slowly, it varies significantly.

Hope this helps.

itsivannn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 10, 2018
I am a battery hobbyist. I have coconutBattery stats going back to my 6+.

Of all my apple devices that I've gotten from the factory MOST of them have been over design capacity. A few were under 100% design capacity. One was 96% from factory, and after almost 2 years of usage it was still 91%.

Most of my recent phones have been 102-104% of design capacity. This is why some people's phones sit at 100% health for long periods of time, and others who are at or below design capacity show less health earlier on.

To get a better picture of your battery health, you want to observe it from the day you got it - over a few months. AppleCare+ will replace your battery if it drops below 80% capacity in less than 2 years.

Batteries do not wear consistently. Sometimes they'll stay at a % for 6-10 months, other times they'll drop really fast in a few months, then taper off. It's a chemistry that isn't exact. Heat is the #1 killer of batteries. Wireless charging in the sun is going to destroy health like no tomorrow.

I would not be sad if my battery showed 99% a month after I got it. You can't really compare it to a different phone / battery without knowing the specifics. Wear is not like a glass of water dripping out slowly, it varies significantly.

Hope this helps.
What also worries me is that according to coconutBattery my phone is actually at 102.7% yet the system shows it’s at 99%. So weird

Attachments

• Снимок экрана 2023-03-23 в 19.58.26.png
    Снимок экрана 2023-03-23 в 19.58.26.png
    24.6 KB · Views: 204

itsivannn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 10, 2018
That being said, Apple definitely should remove the battery health feature from iOS because it seems to be quite inaccurate at times and just gives some users unnecessary anxiety lol

Reactions: BigMcGuire

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
What also worries me is that according to coconutBattery my phone is actually at 102.7% yet the system shows it’s at 99%. So weird
At this point, I'd do a hard reset (press volume up then press volume down, then hold power) - it'll restart the phone. See if that resets the %.

An update to the next iOS may reset it to 100% too.

If coconutBattery shows 102.7% - I would worry - just monitor the health of the battery over the next few weeks. Take random readings at 40% charge state, 60%, and 100%. And monitor it. Some failing batteries will vary voltage wildly at different states of charge. So if you're at 40% charge and the health shows wildly different vs 100% charge, then that's usually indication of a failing battery.

If it was me I'd just keep an eye on it over the next few weeks.

And agreed, I pay attention to coconutBattery's values (which are taken from Apple's own internal system values). Apple's health % reader is varied on who knows what.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
That being said, Apple definitely should remove the battery health feature from iOS because it seems to be quite inaccurate at times and just gives some users unnecessary anxiety lol
Except there is zero reason to have anxiety. As long as it is above 80% when it reaches 500 cycles, its normal. Some batteries may stay at 100% for 400 cycles and plumet. Others might plumet to 85% within 100 cycles and sit there for 400 more cycles. Every single battery is different.

My 14Pro is at 95% after 180 cycles. My wife's 14Pro is at 100% after 190 cycles. I'm not concerned about it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.