Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ProQuiz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 15, 2009
I got a new iPhone 14 Pro on April 25, 2023. I charge it with the Apple 20 watt charger overnight every night. I'm running the latest version of iOS 16. Last night, the phone randomly restarted when I connected to the charger but I only found out that it did that when I woke up in the morning. When I woke up and tried to unlock the phone, it asked for the passcode and said it had been restarted.

I searched around and it seems others are having or have had this issue as well. Was there a solution? I've had it since April 25, 2023 and this is the first time this is happened.

However, there was one thing I did different last night compared to all the other nights when I charged it overnight. Usually, if I ever charge my other devices using the same Apple 20 watt charger, before taking it off the charger I switch off power to the charger and wait till the device stops charging to "drain" the charger. Last night, I didn't do that when I took off my iPhone 6s before plugging in my iPhone 14 Pro and just disconnected the charging cable from the iPhone 6s and immediately plugged it into the iPhone 14 Pro. Could this somehow be some weird reason for it?

ProQuiz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 15, 2009
I had already manually installed that update. Anyway, I'll see if it happens again.

MaryRGame

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2023
Kazakhstan
The same thing happened to me with my iPhone 14 Pro! At first I didn’t understand why it was asking for a password, and then the “iOS updated” window just popped up. It's OK;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.