Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cnnyy20p

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 12, 2021
Hi, I would like to use this thread to share some of my best works from iPhone 4s since not so many people have seen my works anyway. I had quite a fond memory with my iPhone 4s. It was the phone that showed me how fun mobile photography actually was. These photos were from around 2016. The iPhone 4s was already outdated at that time but kept using it until switched the iPhone SE a year later. I really liked characteristic of the photos from the iPhone 4s. Even though it did not support RAW format the look of JPEGs were on point. Not too contrasty, Not too deep black-point, still great for post-processing. I was very into cinematic film-like style so a lot of heavy post processing were applied. I also live in an island so no urban style!

I am very new to this forum so want to start to post something good here. Enjoy! ?

1.jpg
2.jpg

4.jpg
5.jpg

6.jpg
3.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg
10.jpg
11.jpg
12.jpg
15.jpg
16.jpg
17.jpg
18.jpg
20.jpg
21.jpg
22.jpg
23.jpg
24.jpg
25.jpg
26.jpg
27.jpg

Last edited:

r.harris1

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2012
Denver, Colorado, USA
Thanks for sharing and welcome to the forum! Nice images. A great place to share is in the Picture Of the Day thread where a lot of folks participate. It’s one per day and you don’t run the risk of eyes glazing over as they scroll through long lists like you just shared. There’s some good guidance in the sticky area of this sub forum.

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
This is a lovely gallery! Yes, you should definitely join our POTD thread, but these are really nice. I do not know how to use my phone well as a camera, and your gallery shows that it is definitely the photographer and not the camera that makes a nice image. ?

kallisti

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2003
Welcome to the forum!

This is a very nice gallery!

As others have stated, I would encourage you to start posting in the POTD thread. Fine to share both old and new images there.

Please read the forum posting guidelines. In general, threads like this are discouraged. While I enjoyed seeing your work, the forum would become unmanageable if everyone started threads based on what they think is their best work or best work with a specific camera/lens.

Okay to start threads with example pics and discussion about a specific camera or lens that is currently in production. Okay to start a thread about phone cameras. Okay to start a thread about a legacy lens and why you love it.

In all of those cases, it’s not just about showcasing your work, but about discussions that might be relevant to other users.

I like your images and am impressed that they all came from an iPhone 4s. Kudos. They are great examples of what can be achieved with a phone camera (even an outdated model!).

But other than showcasing your talents as a photographer, I’m not sure how this gallery is helpful for the community.

It *is* helpful in the sense that it is a very good example of how gear doesn’t matter for some subjects. Or how to exploit the “weaknesses” of a phone camera and turn them into strengths (for example, the crazy DOF you can achieve with the extreme wide angle lens of a phone camera (in full frame terms) even at open apertures). Phone cameras can be very good tools for some applications. But they also have their limitations.

I look forward to seeing more of your work in the POTD thread :).

cnnyy20p

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 12, 2021
Thank you for many suggestions about a forum! I’m very new to this kind of stuff. I should look into the guildline more carefully!

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Hi, I would like to use this thread to share some of my best works from iPhone 4s since not so many people have seen my works anyway. I had quite a fond memory with my iPhone 4s. It was the phone that showed me how fun mobile photography actually was. These photos were from around 2016. The iPhone 4s was already outdated at that time but kept using it until switched the iPhone SE a year later. I really liked characteristic of the photos from the iPhone 4s. Even though it did not support RAW format the look of JPEGs were on point. Not too contrasty, Not too deep black-point, still great for post-processing. I was very into cinematic film-like style so a lot of heavy post processing were applied. I also live in an island so no urban style!

I am very new to this forum so want to start to post something good here. Enjoy! ?

View attachment 1756406 View attachment 1756407
View attachment 1756408 View attachment 1756409
View attachment 1756410 View attachment 1756411 View attachment 1756412 View attachment 1756413 View attachment 1756414 View attachment 1756415 View attachment 1756416 View attachment 1756417 View attachment 1756420 View attachment 1756421 View attachment 1756422 View attachment 1756423 View attachment 1756425 View attachment 1756426 View attachment 1756427 View attachment 1756428 View attachment 1756429 View attachment 1756430 View attachment 1756431 View attachment 1756432
I like the last one the best.

someoldguy

macrumors 68030
Aug 2, 2009
usa
Very nice album ... I particularly like the 4th image (coastline) , and the 2nd( swans) . Hopefully we'll see more in the POTD thread !

Reactions: macsound1

StrollerEd

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2011
Scotland
I really enjoyed this exhibition. Impressed what you gave achieved by capture with an iPhone 4s.

You say "Not too contrasty, Not too deep black-point, still great for post-processing. I was very into cinematic film-like style so a lot of heavy post processing were applied." I'd been interested to know more about your technique.

Reactions: cnnyy20p

cnnyy20p

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 12, 2021
I really enjoyed this exhibition. Impressed what you gave achieved by capture with an iPhone 4s.

You say "Not too contrasty, Not too deep black-point, still great for post-processing. I was very into cinematic film-like style so a lot of heavy post processing were applied." I'd been interested to know more about your technique.
Well, It's all comes down to the basic of photography actually (subject, white space, balance, pattern, shapes, line, colors). With a little of experience and a lot of improvement. I'll explain. Back then I own my first DSLR and I was very upset with DoF and Bokeh. Looking back my pictures back were very bland and messy. Then after got an iPhone I started to get interested in pushing the camera to it's limit whatever it's quality. That was when my photography mind started to shift. I thought a lot more about the foreground and the background because shallow DoF are not possible with phones camera. I got hook with the process and It felt very fun to do. Perspective is also important. When you have fixed lens like on iPhone you got the get to know it's characteristic. iPhone 4S's focal length is actually perfect for all-round photography, at 35mm. Yes, it was very narrow for today standard. But it was perfectly balance (between 18-50mm). It gave this minimalistic look and the perspective lines were too not messy and controllable. Oh! and always set the exposure to your desire every time before take a picture. Do not always rely on automatic setting.

For post processing it is very easy to do nowadays that it's feels like cheating. I use film simulator like VSCO most of the time. Their A-series is the best one. I bought it long time ago so I still have it today without any subscription. But you need to know what you are doing with the adjustment not just follow VSCO trends on Pinterest.

For newer iPhones it find the the processed pictures for the camera are sometime too contrasty. I have to work way around by take a RAW pictures first. Then process them on Lightroom with neutral look (VSCO's RAW editing tools are very bad). Finally apply film simulator on any filter app.

But really if the composition of the photos isn't already good enough whatever you apply the filter it's still gonna look bad. So the most important thing is to get the photo right in the first place.

StrollerEd

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2011
Scotland
Thanks for the informative reply. I have been looking back at some of the shots I took with an iPhone 4 & 6. The upgrade to the 7 prompted me to neglect my camera, and now I have splashed cash on the 12 Pro. I am limbering up to use of RAW but keen to learn more before delving into that.

Reactions: cnnyy20p
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.