Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
and it's not the silent switch. When a call comes in it vibrates. I've checked Settings:Sound and everything seems to be turned on. Is there another volume control somewhere? The ringer buttons on side are set to high volume.

I've selected Settings:Sounds and scrolled down to the different tones. When I select a new one, I normally hear it. This time none of the sounds work, the phone just vibrates...

Something else I've noticed, usually when I am using the keyboard, I hear a click sound when I type a letter. That no longer happens.

Last time I checked, I could use the phone and hear the other caller. Will recheck that this morning. Looking for some possibilities. Thanks!

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Silly question, can you hear music if played through the speaker?

You'll think me strange but I don't normally listen to music on my phone. However I just tried it, played a song and no sound...

Edit: Chatting with Apple now... To clarify, alert, ringer tones don't work, but I can still place and hear people on phone calls.

Last edited:

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Can you hear people on speakerphone? Right now I'm saying the speaker is dead. That would not affect hearing them through the earpiece.

joec1101

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
So Cal, USA
The speaker is blown. Happened to my cousin's VZW iP5 just last week.

Make a Genius Bar appointment and they will replace the phone for you.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Ding ding ding... You guys are right. The day I posted the thread, I took it to the local Apple Store. The speaker died in a 6th month old iPhone. Is this common? They replaced it in 15 minutes. If the phone had not been under warranty, I thought I saw $60 to repair.

MrMacMack

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2012
Ding ding ding... You guys are right. The day I posted the thread, I took it to the local Apple Store. The speaker died in a 6th month old iPhone. Is this common? They replaced it in 15 minutes. If the phone had not been under warranty, I thought I saw $60 to repair.

Out of warranty service on the iPhone 5 is $229

missyredhair

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2015
and it's not the silent switch. When a call comes in it vibrates. I've checked Settings:Sound and everything seems to be turned on. Is there another volume control somewhere? The ringer buttons on side are set to high volume.

I've selected Settings:Sounds and scrolled down to the different tones. When I select a new one, I normally hear it. This time none of the sounds work, the phone just vibrates...

Something else I've noticed, usually when I am using the keyboard, I hear a click sound when I type a letter. That no longer happens.

Last time I checked, I could use the phone and hear the other caller. Will recheck that this morning. Looking for some possibilities. Thanks!

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
mine is doing the same thing it use to ring but hasnt since my last update
Have you checked all the appropriate settings--that it's not on silent, that Do Not Disturb is not enabled, that the volume is up for the ringer, that a ringer sound is selected and plays back when you select it in settings, etc.? Have you tried restarting the phone as well?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.