Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nic Perrins

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2020
Hi Guys, my iPhone 6s unexpectedly updated to 14.1 overnight. I didn't instruct the update, just woke up to a screen full of chinese writing. when I pressed the home button the screen changed to say "Software Update Complete" and a button asking me to CONTINUE. When I press that it asked me to create an ID code. I did this dubiously...not sure if it was all genuine. Then I was asked to agree to Ts and Cs - but the apple web address it quoted on the 'Agreement' page didn't look right - it finished with /sla (can't remember the full address). I didn't continue with this, so said 'disgaree' and it took me back to the home page.

So I've left it, but the phone won't do anything. If I try to take a screen grab of the screen, nothing happens, if I press the home button I just get the option to make an emergency call.

Has this been a genuine update (I thought I had to request the 14.1 update...which I have not done) or has my phone been hacked? I've never had that happen before so I don't know what to look for. Suffice to say, I NEVER open scam emails - I always delete them without clicking on anything, and there've been no other issues as far as I'm aware.

I'm usually really vigilant about this stuff, but I'm no techie and don't know what to do about this. If anyone does take the time to reply, please use words of one syllable and no techy speak if possible!!! Thanks x.

BeauGiles

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2008
Sydney, Australia
What version of iOS were you running previously?

Prior to iOS 13.6, it would always automatically download updates (when on wifi and connected to power), and it was always a tap or two away from installing (accidentally or intentionally).

From iOS 13.6, the option to not automatically download updates (in addition to not automatically installing updates) was added.

With iOS 13.6, or iPadOS, you can choose not to download software updates automatically. Go to Settings > General > Software Update > Customise Automatic Updates and then turn off Download iOS updates.

Reactions: Nic Perrins

Nic Perrins

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2020
Hi BeauGiles,
I've no idea what it was running before - but the phone was charging overnight, with the wi-fi on, so that could explain it. Since my original post, I checked out the Apple web address on the Ts&Cs and it turned out to be legit, so I continued with the instructions on the homescreen and the phone now looks normal. I've noticed a few of my apps have features they didn't have before - so it must have been a genuine update.
Thanks for taking the time to reply. x

Ansath

macrumors demi-god
Jun 9, 2018
England
Hi BeauGiles,
I've no idea what it was running before - but the phone was charging overnight, with the wi-fi on, so that could explain it. Since my original post, I checked out the Apple web address on the Ts&Cs and it turned out to be legit, so I continued with the instructions on the homescreen and the phone now looks normal. I've noticed a few of my apps have features they didn't have before - so it must have been a genuine update.
Thanks for taking the time to reply. x
It does sound like you had it so that it would automatically update, which it will do overnight, when charging and connected to wifi. If you don't want that to happen going forwards, then turn the setting off :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.