Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robbie491

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 13, 2018
Hi all,

First time posting here but had a question that I couldn't find an answer to online. About a month ago, I left my iPhone in a taxi in Arizona, was never able to find the cab driver.

This morning, I got a notification from "find my iPhone" saying it was turned on. When I went to go look, the last location was in Lagos, Africa. Whoever has it, must have turned it on and turned it off right away.

Obviously, if its in Africa, I'm not going to get it back. My question is, since it wasn't turned on for very long, could the location be wrong?

Am I better off just clicking the "erase iPhone" button? Is it possible to unlock it?

This is an iPhone X.

Thanks

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
It won’t be a wrong location. The device was able to send the notification because it could connect to a network and it’s pretty easy to determine from both the IP address and GPS where the device is.

It’s not easy to get access to an iPhone if it’s locked with passcode. Don’t think the people in Lagos will have anything from it. I suggest putting a message up on the phone to return for a reward and see what happens.

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2018
USA
If the phone is already in Africa I doubt anyone is going to go through the time and cost of returning it - it is likely on its way to a parts warehouse since iCloud Activation is active. Erase it and be done with it.

Reactions: Never mind
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.