Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kneezmo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 31, 2017
Well that friends. Battery health at 100%, no blows, scratches, liquid.... like new. I updated to ios 15.3 and 3 days later, while charging, it died. It does not respond in any way, I have tried all the options.

Motionblurrr

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2008
Have you tried a DFU restore? Never dropped your phone on the ground? Logic board fried?

That's a rare case of an X dies out of no where. Apple would replace it if you ask nicely IMO.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Second hand device? All OEM components? I'd be suspicious of any device that old with a 100% capacity battery. It's just not likely. Some batteries come with tweaked fuel gauge chips that are locked to 100%.

kneezmo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 31, 2017
Second hand device? All OEM components? I'd be suspicious of any device that old with a 100% capacity battery. It's just not likely. Some batteries come with tweaked fuel gauge chips that are locked to 100%.
new phone and with warranty when I bought it (May 2020) it has not been manipulated at any time by anyone. No hits or anything. It may be that the motherboard has been fried without more...

BigDO

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2012
new phone and with warranty when I bought it (May 2020) it has not been manipulated at any time by anyone. No hits or anything. It may be that the motherboard has been fried without more...

100% battery since May 2020? New iPhone X in 2020?

Sounds odd, not sure where in the world you are but I'd take it to Apple.

Reactions: Saladin12

kneezmo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 31, 2017
100% battery since May 2020? New iPhone X in 2020?

Sounds odd, not sure where in the world you are but I'd take it to Apple.
I bought it in a store. they had units left, and it was new and sealed. I checked it at apple, when I activated it, it gave me a 1 year warranty and everything was correct and original.
I only had 180 charge cycles (I use 2 phones daily)

Adarna

Suspended
Jan 1, 2015
I bought it in a store. they had units left, and it was new and sealed. I checked it at apple, when I activated it, it gave me a 1 year warranty and everything was correct and original.
Time better spent going to Apple Store for diagnose. ;)

Danfango

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2022
London, UK
That's depressing. My mother still has my old 6s and that's still going strong. On third battery now.

As mentioned by other people, see if it'll go into DFU mode. If not it's probably hardware. Instructions here:

Also Apple probably will replace this. I found a new in box bricked iPhone 7 a couple of years back in the office trash crate, helped myself to it and they gave me a replacement in the local apple store.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
That’s interesting that Apple kept it in stock for that long. Normally when a new products comes they do keep the old models in stock but eventually apple does send them back but to keep that old iPhone X for that long seems interesting. I bet that the phone had No battery when you opened it?

BigDO

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2012
That’s interesting that Apple kept it in stock for that long. Normally when a new products comes they do keep the old models in stock but eventually apple does send them back but to keep that old iPhone X for that long seems interesting. I bet that the phone had No battery when you opened it?

Willing to bet that “the store” is not Apple. Nor is OP in the U.S.

Reactions: BugeyeSTI

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Affirmative. I never said bought from apple. Im from Spain
Take it back to where you bought it if a restore doesn't work.. I'll bet it has 3rd party parts in the phone.. iPhone X is closing in on 5 years old, it's unlikely you're phone was never used and 100% capacity in battery health is a good indication. The battery would definitely deteriorate if the phone sat unused in the box for years so it most likely was "refurbished" and sold as new condition..

daddyd302

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2012
West Allis, WI
If you say it was new and you checked with Apple, why didn't you buy AC? You're pretty much SoL since it's out of it's warranty. You're only option is to take it into Apple and hopefully they can just replace the battery and you're phone works again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.