Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wongster41

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 7, 2010
I usually walk my dog at night and use my phone's flashlight to see. Tonight, after walking the dog, I forgot to turn my flashlight off on the phone and put the phone in my front pocket with the camera side facing my leg, a few moments later I felt my leg was burning up. I quickly got the phone out and saw the flashlight was on, I thought, odd, this never happened with my iPhone 7+ before.

I did a quick test and left the flash light on the Xs Max and just put my finger over top of the flashlight and it got really hot in less than 1 min. Any of you with the Xs Max experiencing this? Obviously the solution is not to cover over the flashlight when it's on but I can see someone getting hurt from this. Do I have a defective phone? Can you guys try this on your Xs Max and report back? Thanks.

areyes163

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2012
I usually walk my dog at night and use my phone's flashlight to see. Tonight, after walking the dog, I forgot to turn my flashlight off on the phone and put the phone in my front pocket with the camera side facing my leg, a few moments later I felt my leg was burning up. I quickly got the phone out and saw the flashlight was on, I thought, odd, this never happened with my iPhone 7+ before.

I did a quick test and left the flash light on the Xs Max and just put my finger over top of the flashlight and it got really hot in less than 1 min. Any of you with the Xs Max experiencing this? Obviously the solution is not to cover over the flashlight when it's on but I can see someone getting hurt from this. Do I have a defective phone? Can you guys try this on your Xs Max and report back? Thanks.
It will get hot. It's a light. It generates heat. No different than a light bulb.

Reactions: chabig

wongster41

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 7, 2010
It will get hot. It's a light. It generates heat. No different than a light bulb.

My iPhone 7+ is also a light, and it's cool to the touch, even after having my finger over the light for 1 min.
[doublepost=1538648385][/doublepost]
Of course the LED flashlight gets hot. Especially if you put it in your pocket!

It is the same for any iPhone and as normal as normal can be.

My iPhone 7+ led light does not get hot, at all.

wongster41

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 7, 2010
That is funny as I can remember my 7 and 8 LEDs getting warm when used for long periods of time.

LEDs produce heat. It is a physics think!

I have both the 7+ and Xs Max in front of me right now, MAX gets hot to the point where you can't touch it after 1 min, 7+ doesn't get hot at all. It's cool the entire time. Like I said in my original post, the solution is obviously not to cover your body over the flash while it's on but I'm just wondering if anybody else is having this issue with the MAX?

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I have both the 7+ and Xs Max in front of me right now, MAX gets hot to the point where you can't touch it after 1 min, 7+ doesn't get hot at all. It's cool the entire time. Like I said in my original post, the solution is obviously not to cover your body over the flash while it's on but I'm just wondering if anybody else is having this issue with the MAX?

I guess how many are having trouble would depend on how many leave their light on in their pocket.

Next someone will get a burnt leg and want to sue!

Reactions: Duncan68

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Ha, that happened to me with a Galaxy S7 and it left a nice red burn on my leg. However I did not turn the light on. I had a defective S7 that constantly turned itself on in my purse or pocket. My replacement did not do that.

Anyway yes as far as I know the LED lights get hot as bleep especially if they are in your pocket!

jona2125

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
I usually use the flashlight with selective output on my phones. I place my finger directly on the LED's and only allow a small sliver of light actually illuminate what I need to see to preserve night vision. The LED's have been hot for me ever since the 6S but have been getting worse and the X and XS series have by far been the hottest. I can feel a decent amount of heat being generated on my fingertip for sure and for some that could be very hot feeling and others not so much since it's a subjective sense. The physics involved are just fact so this is normal but if you feel it's not maybe visit an Apple store and compare with a different unit.

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area

Getting so hot you can’t touch it? The LED should get a little warm from use but hot enough that you can’t touch it is a little far fetched

Reactions: Newtons Apple

wongster41

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 7, 2010
Getting so hot you can’t touch it? The LED should get a little warm from use but hot enough that you can’t touch it is a little far fetched

Why do you think I'm asking if anyone is experiencing this issue with their Xs Max? If I leave my finger on the led light long enough, it stings and gets very uncomfortable.

alpi123

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2014
This is the first time I've heard the flash on the iPhone get's hot. Mine's been always cool, even after having my 6s replaced. Weird.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Ok then stop doing that?
Does that change the fact that it seems that on one phone it gets hot and on another it doesn't, and figuring out if that's the case for others and/or why there's a difference?

Reactions: sparkie1984

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
All lights generate heat, whether incandescent, LED, halogen, or even a simple candle. There is no way around it. The reason different phones might be different is because they use different parts. An iPhone XS probably doesn’t use the same LED that an iPhone 7 does.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
You obviously never had an iPhone 7+, the led on my plus never gets this hot.

You keep using the word ‘hot’. If it’s that hot and it’s uncomfortable to you, why don’t you bring it to Apple and see what they think about it. Most will never notice your situation, because many don’t put their finger up by the LED light, so I’m thinking it’s a non-issue.

Reactions: chabig

wongster41

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 7, 2010
You keep using the word ‘hot’. If it’s that hot and it’s uncomfortable to you, why don’t you bring it to Apple and see what they think about it. Most will never notice your situation, because many don’t put their finger up by the LED light, so I’m thinking it’s a non-issue.

If you read my original post, I'm asking other max owners to see if their LED light gets hot after 1 min, that's all. Finger over LED was just a test obviously to see how hot it gets, but there are occasions where people will have the LED light on unintentionally and have their phone in their pocket. Just asking if any other max owners have this same issue or it's just my unit.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
If you read my original post, I'm asking other max owners to see if their LED light gets hot after 1 min, that's all. Finger over LED was just a test obviously to see how hot it gets, but there are occasions where people will have the LED light on unintentionally and have their phone in their pocket. Just asking if any other max owners have this same issue or it's just my unit.

I Did read your original post, but your thread title is indicative of something else that makes it sound like it’s a *bigger* problem than it really is. Also, I can’t think of too many occasions where my flashlight is accidentally triggered inside my pocket with my iPhone. I can’t say that’s ever happened to me or anyone else I know either. But Again, as you can see, you will have varying opinions, if it’s that much of a concern to you, you really should address this with Apple. (Or, its just a non-issue as I mentioned, because most, if not all don’t have their hands near the placement of the LED flashlight.)

wongster41

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 7, 2010
I Did read your original post, but your thread title is indicative of something else that makes it sound like it’s a *bigger* problem than it really is. Also, I can’t think of too many occasions where my flashlight is accidentally triggered inside my pocket with my iPhone. I can’t say that’s ever happened to me or anyone else I know either. But Again, as you can see, you will have varying opinions, if it’s that much of a concern to you, you really should address this with Apple. (Or, its just a non-issue as I mentioned, because most, if not all don’t have their hands near the placement of the LED flashlight.)

Do you have an iPhone Xs Max?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Seems like the thread title is just asking a question.

Reactions: sparkie1984

Ebok

Suspended
Aug 22, 2018
Does that change the fact that it seems that on one phone it gets hot and on another it doesn't, and figuring out if that's the case for others and/or why there's a difference?

i left my flashlight on once on my 7 plus and my phone was hot. it didn't burn me, but it was uncomfortable in my pocket.

light gives off energy. energy = heat.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.