Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

titus5

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2013
California
Hello all. I apologize if I'm posting this in the wrong section. I live with this iPhone issue but sometimes it really bugs me. I just wanted to get some advice.

The issue is my text tones. Often my phone will seemingly wake up only when I touch it and I will immediately get a text tone. When I look to see the time stamp, it will often say the text was received minutes in the past.

Also, the noise the text tone makes is almost like a crackling and repeating sound. I've changed the tone and the new tone makes the same echoing and crackling sound. Some days are worse than others. If I'm walking around carrying my phone the tone will sound normal.

I also have a Macbook Pro in the house, and I've turned off bluetooth on it due to not receiving text tones at all...ever. Note, the weird behavior will happen no matter if the computer is on or off, near or far. This is a new MBP and the same thing occurred with the old MBP.

I am using an iPhone 7 Plus (my second one.) This strange behavior occurred on both iPhone 7 Plus phones, and my old iPhone 6S. Also, this has remained through carrier swaps. It happens on wifi or not, at home or traveling. I am running the latest software on everything. I am nowhere close to running out of storage space (all phones have been about half full.)

Any ideas? It's really annoying.

Thanks in advance.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
It happens to my iPhone every once and awhile and noticed it on my iMac too. It’s very intermittent and has been there since iOS11. It must be a software glitch as I’ve done clean installs on both the phone and computer with no luck. I’d say just send Apple a bug report but I doubt it will get attention as I’ve only seen a few people complain about it. Maybe iOS12 will get it straightened out.

titus5

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2013
California
Cool. Thanks for the reply.

I ended up contacting Apple. They had me wipe the phone and set up as new to see if it was due to my back-ups. It isn't. I still experience the issue. Except now I have none of my contacts (a nice heads-up that I wasn't syncing them I guess.) I will wipe it again and set up from my local backups I guess. I hope that restores my numbers!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.