Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adamfilip

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 13, 2003
burlington, Ontario canada
I work full time as Designer,

I was recently working on some large banners. 55" x 70" @150dpi
in illustrator i had this document that basicly was just one large tiff photo ( at that size ) with some vector text on it.

I usualy do a save for web. to make a proof to email my clients. when you first run save for web. it warns you HEY This is way to big!.. i say yes i know. and it proceeds with making a web version preview at actual size.. this usally takes a little while with a large image.

anyways the machine im using at work is a PC.

Intel Pentium 4 3.06 GHZ with HyperThreading, 1 gig of ram and a Raid 1 harddrive setup. its pretty quick. but id much rather have my mac.
anyways. i did a little test. and did a save for output on my work machine and it took the PC 57sec to make the optimized preview

I went home and did the same test on my Dual 2.0 Ghz G5 with 1.5 Gb Ram. and a single 74 G 10,000 rpm raptor. I consider this similar to the pc at my work. spec wise

my mac did the test in 44 seconds. I was hoping for better. but oh well. i did notice tho that the web preview only uses one processor. as my activity monitor was slamming one cpu and the other was almost idle.

too bad illustrator CS doesnt use both in this processors

then i opened the Ill CS document in Ill CS2 and did the same thing
CS2 did it in 27 sec!

I am glad to see CS2 uses both processors! :)

PC Illustrator CS - 57 Sec
Mac Illustrator CS - 44 sec
Mac Illustrator CS2 - 27 Sec

Whatcha think

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
adamfilip said:
I work full time as Designer,

I was recently working on some large banners. 55" x 70" @150dpi
in illustrator i had this document that basicly was just one large tiff photo ( at that size ) with some vector text on it.

I usualy do a save for web. to make a proof to email my clients. when you first run save for web. it warns you HEY This is way to big!.. i say yes i know. and it proceeds with making a web version preview at actual size.. this usally takes a little while with a large image.

anyways the machine im using at work is a PC.

Intel Pentium 4 3.06 GHZ with HyperThreading, 1 gig of ram and a Raid 1 harddrive setup. its pretty quick. but id much rather have my mac.
anyways. i did a little test. and did a save for output on my work machine and it took the PC 57sec to make the optimized preview

I went home and did the same test on my Dual 2.0 Ghz G5 with 1.5 Gb Ram. and a single 74 G 10,000 rpm raptor. I consider this similar to the pc at my work. spec wise

my mac did the test in 44 seconds. I was hoping for better. but oh well. i did notice tho that the web preview only uses one processor. as my activity monitor was slamming on cpu and the othe was almost idle.

too bad illustrator CS doesnt use both in this processors

then i opened the Ill CS document in Ill CS2 and did the same thing
CS2 did it in 27 sec!

I am glad to see CS2 uses both processors! :)

Whatcha think

Not bad for only using one G5 cpu - imagine what it could do if it utilized both :eek: The G5 processor is simply amazingly fast!

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
adamfilip said:
well if you read the bottom i mentioned that in CS2 which uses both cpu's it was 27 sec

True, you did. Sorry, I was just addressing your benchmarks/times for illustrator CS. CS2 does (as you have said) quicken the time to perform the action since it uses both cpus - smoking the P4 in the process!

psycho bob

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2003
Leeds, England
CS2 is what CS should have been. Golive and Illustrator still have bugs mind but at least the performance is now there. I guess to be fair we need to run a similar test with CS2 on the PC, it will be faster but I doubt it will get close to the macs 27 seconds.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.