Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cruelraspberry

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2002
California
I realize that this comes as a little late, but I'm really PO'ed at Apple regarding the webcast of the keynote speech. I really really wanted to watch it. I had the site loaded up 15 minutes prior to 9 a.m.

I never figured out how to watch it. I was at the site, watching the blue dots dancing back and forth thinking that something was going to load. Nothing. I spent the next hour and a half chatting with other Apple users who were having the same problem.

The next day, I talked to a good friend of mine and told him about my problem. He asks me, "Did you click on 'Watch Now'?"............

I didn't..... of course. Nothing popped up indicating that I SHOULD click on it. There were no instructions saying click on Watch Now. I felt really stupid.

To me, it looked like something was loading. Then I figured that there must be too many people trying to watch the webcast.

I never thought to click on the little picture that said 'Watch Now' because I thought I WAS watching it load!

And now I'm grumpy. Hmmmphhh.

GigaWire

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2001
Maybe this'll help:

watch (wch)
v. watched, watch·ing, watch·es
v. intr.
To look or observe attentively or carefully; be closely observant: watching for trail markers.
To look and wait expectantly or in anticipation: watch for an opportunity.
To act as a spectator; look on: stood by the road and watched.
To stay awake at night while serving as a guard, sentinel, or watcher.
To stay alert as a devotional or religious exercise; keep vigil.

now (nou)
adv.
At the present time: goods now on sale; the now aging dictator.
At once; immediately: Stop now.
In the immediate past; very recently: left the room just now.
At this point in the series of events; then: The ship was now listing to port.

agreenster

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2001
I didnt have that problem, but I did encounter another. When I did click 'watch now' (hey, I had an advantage because engrish is my furst langwadge) it took FOREVER for it to load up. Im using a fractal T1 (in the office) but no one else was online who could have been taking up the bandwidth.

Anyway, I bet a TON of people were trying to connect, and thats why the slowdown occured. I dont think it would have been posssible for apple to have done anything about it, because Im sure they already had all their resources trying to keep their many many servers from crapping. I bet it was a nightmare.

G

ganderson

just watch me

now I know who those "click here" notices are for!

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
nobody cares anymore...

Is it just me or did he come in with that MWSF rant a fews days late & a dollar short?!

In reference to agreenster, I spent nearly an hour trying to connect to the keynotes before I figured out that IE 5.1 on X wasn't working & that I needed to use IE 5.1 on 9...

I think there's a discussion going on around here dealing with java problems with IE 5.1....

agreenster

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2001
When you hit 500 eyelikeart, what kind of avatar are you going to use? I think Jef should start using his old name again, so he can be the first to have one!

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
"But it wasn't in the instructions!!"

When I was working for a (now defunkt) retailer, a couple brought back a Cube because it wouldn't stay on. When the arrived, they brought the thing in it's packing and proceeded to give me a long, emotional rant on how awful Macs were and how Apple should give them their money back if we wouldn't. This included many references to how there were inadequate instructions and how it was not immediately obvious how to assemble the thing. I asked them to follow EXACTLY the steps they had followed at home. They removed the Cube and it's screen from the boxes and fumbled around, finally finishing with the mouse AND keyboard plugged in to the USB ports on the bottom. As I waited for the resultant tirade on how short and inadequate the mouse and keyboard chords were, the cube started.....by itself. It got as far as the desktop and went to sleep, woke up, restarted, slept, (insert loop ad nauseum). Can You spot the error?

The cube, like all of Apple's Polycarbonate-shelled Macs had static film covering it's wear surfaces and top. THEY HAD NOT REMOVED THIS FILM!!!!!
I removed the small circle of film from the area immediately above the touch-sensitive switch and the cube stabilized. The couple, insistant that THEY were not at fault, blamed Apple for not having explicit directions on unpacking the Cube on their packaging and left in a huff.

They returned later with the same problem: The amount of loops the start assembly had undergone had fried it.

Punchline: My somewhat flimsey-spined manager gave them a new machine after THEY had KILLED the old one and our service techs told them (rightfully) to piss off.:eek: :)

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
Originally posted by agreenster
When you hit 500 eyelikeart, what kind of avatar are you going to use? I think Jef should start using his old name again, so he can be the first to have one!

I'm not sure what arn's gonna have to choose from....but I'm opting for the kewpie doll image I have of my own... :p

and yes Jef should jump back to his own...but I don't think he's gonna...

amichalo

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2001
Originally posted by GigaWire
Maybe this'll help:

watch (wch)
v. watched, watch·ing, watch·es
v. intr.
<...>

now (nou)
adv.
<...>

:D clap clap clap clap clap

Ryker_Einig

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2002
Re: Be, Inc. not at Macword...soon not at all!

Speaking of defunked, check out http://www.arpagan.com/auctions/2002Jan16/BE.html. It is fascinating to view the auction of Be, Inc.'s remaining goods, G4s, internet tablets, etc. Look at their executive furnishings! It must have been tough to work at the company during the last years! I do wonder what Palm will get from Be's stripped down code. Please...let there be an Apple G4 tablet with DVD, mobile phone, pen, etc. at MacWorld NY. I don't want a Palm/BeOS lump in my pocket.

Ryker

U

Unregistered

Hello, my first post here =) I'll prolly register soon

I just wanted to say that 5 minutes before 9 AM PT, I had started loading the quicktime webcast but it wouldn't load so I stopped it. Went back to the website and did that again a few times, then I decided to let it go and it started at exactly 9:01 AM PT, lol! I didn't have any problems connecting, the webcast went fine except for some very very little sound problems once and a while.

GPTurismo

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2001
Montgomery, AL USA
My only complaint was that we have a T3 where I work and we couldn't get a decent connection with it. I had to boot the connection spped down to 128. Which still fine because we were streaming t full screen through a projector.

As for IE 5.1 for OS X not working. Mine has worked fine. Maybe you had to many other apps open or something? As for IE Java... It really won't be GREAT until they make it run in Cocoa instead of carbon.

Durandal7

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2001
Give me a break, I've read stupid complaints about MWSF but this is the worst one yet. If Quicktime allowed movies to come up automatically imagine the problems it would cause, instead of unwanted banners for epil-stop they could show you a demo video.

Cruelraspberry

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2002
California
Look People,

I'm not stupid. I have never watched a webcast before and I just didn't know how to get it working. I am definitely not the only person who didn't know to click on something that, by all indications, was not clickable.

I speak english very well thank you. Thanks for your rude comments.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.