Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 17, 2011
Have a look at these screenshots.

I tried stopped some of processes but it still shows up. I removed it from the "login item" last night but I still get popups today. How do I screen capture all the CPU processes? Attached is just the top portion of CPU processes.

Any idea on how removing this pesky Malware? And yes, I've googled it up to no avail.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-09-26 at 12.30.59 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-09-26 at 12.30.59 AM.png
    236.5 KB · Views: 446
  • Screen Shot 2017-09-26 at 12.28.03 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-09-26 at 12.28.03 AM.png
    210.8 KB · Views: 376
  • Screen Shot 2017-09-26 at 12.21.15 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-09-26 at 12.21.15 AM.png
    57.4 KB · Views: 390
  • Screen Shot 2017-09-25 at 11.20.04 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-09-25 at 11.20.04 PM.png
    34.5 KB · Views: 387

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Have a look at these screenshots.

I tried stopped some of processes but it still shows up. I removed it from the "login item" last night but I still get popups today. How do I screen capture all the CPU processes? Attached is just the top portion of CPU processes.

Any idea on how removing this pesky Malware? And yes, I've googled it up to no avail.
Download and run this: https://www.malwarebytes.com/mac/

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I suggest that the OP DON'T use Sophos.
I suggest that the OP try MalwareBytes Anti-Malware for Mac instead.

Then, report back here with the results.

Reactions: chrfr

dlopan

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2008
Albuquerque
Sophos takes over the computer, I have tried and failed, machine was so busy with it couldn't do anything else. use the old Malware bytes if you can get it. That one was free

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"use the old Malware bytes if you can get it. That one was free"

The NEW one is "free", too.
Don't be misled by how it works.
You can download and use it free for 30 days.
In the meantime, it will ask if you want to "upgrade to the paid version".
JUST DECLINE TO DO SO.
After 30 days, it's supposed to revert back to being "the free version".

pennbank

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2008
Sophos takes over the computer, I have tried and failed, machine was so busy with it couldn't do anything else. use the old Malware bytes if you can get it. That one was free
Find no problem with sophos home which is free

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 17, 2011
Thanks to everyone's response. I downloaded the free version of malwarebyte and the issue is gone!

I've been having this Mac for 6 years, it was my first time needing a virus or rather a malware scanner on OS X. Yeah...not sure I can say the same thing on window platform.

I am a happy man once again. :)

Reactions: Apple_Robert

pennbank

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2008
Thanks to everyone's response. I downloaded the free version of malwarebyte and the issue is gone!

I've been having this Mac for 6 years, it was my first time needing a virus or rather a malware scanner on OS X. Yeah...not sure I can say the same thing on window platform.

I am a happy man once again. :)

Perhaps now then you should consider sophos free home edition for mac
https://home.sophos.com/mac
I have always used it since having my mac and found it great. No problems with it what so ever,
Always feeling safe online with the protection offered.
Perhaps you should stop believing those mac people who say mac never has viruses !!!
Proof of the pudding is in the eating.

MattXDA

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2014
UK
Perhaps now then you should consider sophos free home edition for mac
https://home.sophos.com/mac
I have always used it since having my mac and found it great. No problems with it what so ever,
Always feeling safe online with the protection offered.
Perhaps you should stop believing those mac people who say mac never has viruses !!!
Proof of the pudding is in the eating.
He hasn't had a virus in 6 years and got it removed in minutes. There's no need to run something in the background using up resources for such a non-issue

pennbank

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2008
He hasn't had a virus in 6 years and got it removed in minutes. There's no need to run something in the background using up resources for such a non-issue
thats your view, Minor issue this time, whats next time ?

Jamovik

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2010
Are you employed by Sophos, pennbank? I've used Malware Bytes on my Windows computer for years and have had no issues with it. It's very effective and I have also recommend it to friends and family. It. Just. Works.

pennbank

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2008
Are you employed by Sophos, pennbank? I've used Malware Bytes on my Windows computer for years and have had no issues with it. It's very effective and I have also recommend it to friends and family. It. Just. Works.

No nothing to do with Sophos. just use the Free Home Edition on my Mac, I have no problem with it and it hardly uses any resources especially the new Home edition.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.