Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

retrokatie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2005
Hi all, I'm new to the forum and a pretty inexperienced Mac user. I used OSX on a G4 last year when I worked in graphic design...now I work in technical support and it's all PC based, sadly.

A few years ago my dad expressed an interest in learning to type, so I laid my hands on a lovely old Mac LC. He then needed to be able to scan photos; so I swapped him an old laptop I had with a scanner, and took the LC home with me, to use as a word processor. So I just have a few queries about it basically; if anyone can help :)

1. My LC has a habit of 'forgetting' that it has a colour monitor, so every time I switch it on I have to change the options back to colour. Is this a sign the battery is gone?

2. I'd love to be able to play classic games on the LC; now, I know this is possible and I can find them on the web, but how would I get them from my Win XP desktop to the LC? Is this even possible (I'm thinking, possibly emulating somehow; I can get word 97 files on floppy from the LC to the PC already).

3. Is there any way at all to network the LC/browse the web/pick my email up on it?

Thanks for any answers I get; it's a great little computer and I want to make the most of it. (I'm hoping to get an old Powerbook too :) )

gallagb

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2004
IN
question 1)
yes- i think the battery is gone
your computer might also forget what date it is? that would be a sure sign of this-

the battery i think you can get @ any hardware or grocery store-
just open the machine
there are 2 lil tabs 2 the back that open the case- & u'll see the battery- i recall it being purple? but this was like 8 years ago when i last saw one.

question 2 & 3 kinda go together
i think it depends on what operating system you are on (on the LC)- i'm pretty sure you'd be on 7.x of some sort
& i'm not really sure to answer the questions-
i'd imagine if you could download the game directly onto the disk on the PC then pop it into ur mac- u should be fine
the big question will be if you have enough 'system' to play/run the game-

as i recall- going up to the apple in the upper left corner (just like modern machines) you can pull down the menu to "about this mac" and find out the 'stats' on your machine
you'd be looking for information regarding RAM (should be less that 16mg), processor speed, & operating system-

hope all this helps
i have an LC currently in storage- i doubt we'll ever open it back up- but gosh i miss that lil machine-
i recall playing Oregon Trail (version 1) on it a ton
and i had Word Perfect 1.0 on the machine- that was the day!

MacEffects

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2005
Darkspear
gallagb said:
hope all this helps
i have an LC currently in storage- i doubt we'll ever open it back up- but gosh i miss that lil machine-
i recall playing Oregon Trail (version 1) on it a ton
and i had Word Perfect 1.0 on the machine- that was the day!

Yes, I think every Mac owner has one:). That is the exact reason why I still keep some of my old LC I/II/III/475 (and some 520/575/580's too). Such fun and simple games, sometimes I think those are far better then the new ones they have today.

I'd either: Keep it as a nice little typewriter / game computer, donate it, or trash it... This however is up to you. :D

Voidness

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2005
Null
gallagb said:
i'd imagine if you could download the game directly onto the disk on the PC then pop it into ur mac- u should be fine
I used to have an LC III at home back when I was in grade 3 (Old School! :p). I remember if i wanted to transfer files between the LC III and the PC (Which was a 66MHz 486 with a whopping 512 MB hard drive and 8MB of RAM! :eek: ) I had to use a utility that came with System 7 to read IBM-formatted floppies. I had to manually install the utility from one of the System 7 installation disks.

I used to have many games on the LC III, one of my favorites was Maelstrom! :D Another one was called "Mission Starlight".

I also used to work on Photoshop 2.0 LE on the LC III, back when Photoshop didn't know the concept of "Layers" :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.