Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

susizt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 25, 2024
Hello! I have this issue with a portable monitor I have connected to both ports, HDMI and USB-C, on my Mac Mini M2.

It turn out that I can power the monitor by connecting it to the USB-C port instead of the power outlet, which saves me from using a lot of cables.
The monitor connected using the HDMI video port shows a WAY better video quality than using the USB-C video port, so I want this HDMI to be the main video port.

The problem I found is that the MacMini thinks I have two different monitors, instead of one, and shows me two different screens (one for the HDMI and one for the USB-C) which I can switch manually using the physical monitor settings. Everything works fine during the power on process as the computer uses the HDMI, but the problem is when the Mac wakes up: it shows the USB-C screen, even though the HDMI is the main screen chosen on the Display settings, so I cannot use the login window thats in the "other HDMI screen" which is the primary screen. I cannot switch screens because it's not physical, so even with I try to move the mouse pointer to the supposed other screen, it will not change.

The best temporary solution is mirroring the HDMI screen to the usb-c screen, but this second one does not look ok as the optimization is for other media and it looks distorted and blurred, so I have to manually select the HDMI port on my monitor settings.

Do anyone have any ideas on how to override the USB-C video port? I think the problem is that MacOS honors the USB-C port instead of the HDMI port. Is there any command or code line I can use on the config manually to do this?
Im running on Mac OS Ventura 13.6.3

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

S.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.