Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

noquelidaniel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 5, 2022
Not Long ago I posted here about weird problems I was facing on my M2 Mac mini. I wasn't able to run a speed test (Ookla). Randomly my connection (wi-fi and ethernet) would drop only for specific websites (google, for example). After a bunch of tests and help from Apple Experts, forums, etc. I tried to downgrade (even though the Apple expert said it was impossible) to Ventura and all the problems were gone. And now I have crippling anxiety just to think about updating to Sonoma back again. Is there any way that I can prevent this from happening?

noquelidaniel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 5, 2022
Any chance you're using iCloud Private Relay? I was shocked at the effect it had on my bandwidth.
I wish that this was the problem. But it isn't :( I checked. I saw a lot of comments saying that Private Relay ****s a bunch of stuff, but mine was not on.

• Sad
Reactions: JonnyMacx86

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
Easy. If the upgrade doesn’t work just restore from backup to Ventura. You can then do a clean install of Ventura and restore your data.

JonnyMacx86

macrumors regular
Staff member
Feb 10, 2024
Halifax, NS
I just did a wipe and reload yesterday. Everything feels fresh and yet, somewhat unfamiliar. Using Migration Assistant with a Time Machine backup, tho *chefs kiss*

• Haha
Reactions: noquelidaniel

noquelidaniel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 5, 2022
I just did a wipe and reload yesterday. Everything feels fresh and yet, somewhat unfamiliar. Using Migration Assistant with a Time Machine backup, tho *chefs kiss*
I want to give this method a try instead of updating to Sonoma. To see if the bugs persist. But being completely honest I'm just too lazy to do this. I'm inclined to the "if it works just don't touch it" mentality

noquelidaniel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 5, 2022
Easy. If the upgrade doesn’t work just restore from backup to Ventura. You can then do a clean install of Ventura and restore your data.
I'll try that when I have some free time to spare. It is a little bit of a tedious process to do, but it is worth it.

JonnyMacx86

macrumors regular
Staff member
Feb 10, 2024
Halifax, NS
I want to give this method a try instead of updating to Sonoma. To see if the bugs persist. But being completely honest I'm just too lazy to do this. I'm inclined to the "if it works just don't touch it" mentality
“If it works just don’t touch it”,

Totally, me too. I decided to switch back to Adobe since leaving after they went to a subscription model. Let’s just say their authentication process was incompatible with my current set up. All good now after a wipe and reload, though! 😄

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.