Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

omfgninja

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 9, 2006
So basicly. Every version of windows that i've tried, has given me problems.
I cant even get a basic install working. Getting a version of windows running at that 3 megs/per-sec would be awsome right now.

long story short.
I loaned my friend my old Windows XP disk. He said his got scratched up, so he needs to borrow mine, cause his disk doesnt work any more... Fine.
So I get my CD back, after about a year of him forgetting that he borrowed it, and me forgetting I loaned it to him. And it doesnt work any more.
I have the original disk (computer will read up to a point, and then just stop reading the disk) and I also have the lisences to go with it.

So since my XP disk is bad, I went ahead and downloaded torrents of the version I have. Since I figure I already own the proper lisenses, downloading XP doesnt seem like it would be a legal issue then.

So that brings me to issue number 1.
Every version of windows I got, has either not be the right version, or just hasnt worked at all. Ive even tried the 64bit Trail edition, and that one doesnt work for me either.

Like, I will install it, and at some point, it will crash. Or install everything to the HD, but then the HD wont boot. Or it will install everything, but then when rebooting it says its missing a file or whatever.

Issue number 2. (not a very big one, but it might be one)
My Mac Pro is a little bit of a "custom configured" machine.
Basicly:
2.66ghz, 2 GB Ram, downgraded 150 HD + 150 Raptor, 7300gt, Dual Super-Drives.
Are my extra drives causing a problem?
BTW, I bought all the RAM from apple, so its not a 3rd party RAM problem.
For the record, I partitioned my Raptor into 3 slices, then formatted them all Fat with MBR. Then when windows install is running, i would delete one, then do a quick format as NTFS and install windows on there.
So I dont think its a hard-drive issue, cause that seems like its the safest and easiest way to do it (by putting it on another drive)

Issue number 3. I cant make a good slipstreamed CD with my PC.
Ive been using nLite, and all the different directions listed online. Ive done all the things with the drivers, and I know im doing it right. Ive made the ISO's and burned them.
But nothing has worked so far.
Part of the problem is, my PC is dying, and it will freeze randomly when im working on things, I think it might be corrupting the slipstreaming, but I cant tell.
But my PC wont stay on long enough to let me do the whole process of making a version of windows with the proper drivers.

Issue number 4. I cant use nLite via Crossover, and Parralles doesnt work at all.
Ive tried both, quite a few times.
Parralles crashed when i try to turn on a VM. Ive tried figuring it out, but thus far, i've basicly given up for now.
Crossover works once in a while, and thats cool. But it doesnt run nLite.

So basicly.

What the hell am I gunna have to do to get windows on my Mac Pro?
I just want this thing to dual boot. Thats all.

If you have any ideas, please, let me know.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.