Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aldergood

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2023
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum and hope someone can give me advice for my MacPro 6.1 2013.

This morning, my Mac Pro has given me headache when it's no longer can turn on. All the lights in the back are still illuminated the light when plug-in the power cord. The Chime sound play normal when press on the power button but no boot screen. Follow the guide on logi.wiki, I'm able to start the mac pro without the casing and see the amber light on the CPU board as attached file.

May anyone here experience this before and how we can perform further diagnostic to narrow down the issues?

IMG_6878.jpg

I can see the amber LED is on to indicate the issues as below but the space is just too small to look into the board for knowing exactly which light is on for checking. I still have hope that it can be saved because the light color is in YELLOW but not RED, isn't it.

From Mac Pro 6,1 Late 2013 Diagnostic LEDs - LogiWiki:
Error LEDs are red, and illuminate continuously when there is a problem.
Warning LEDs are yellow, and illuminate continuously when a thermal problem is detected. This type of LED is only found on the CPU riser card.

600px-macpro_4.png

Thank you to everyone in advance.

Last edited:

krakman

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2009
Warning LEDs are yellow, and illuminate continuously when a thermal problem is detected. This type of LED is only found on the CPU riser card

Ok so Its telling you there are thermal issues.

It might be the thermal paste on the cpu has degraded and needs replacing.

Have you tried taking out the sticks of RAM in se one of those is faulty?

aldergood

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2023
Hi @krakman,

I have re-applied the thermal paste, clean all the dust, taking out RAM and replace a new one but the issues is still there. The yellow light for the warning of thermal sensor is still there.

I'm running out of idea what next should i do. Here we don't have Apple genius bar to bring the machine in. It's quite hopeless now.

aldergood

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2023
In finding a culprit of my Mac, I know the problem is related to the temp sensor. This is the picture I got from ifixit. Would anyone know the orange is the main temperature of it or any additional temperature sensor on this CPU riser board?

Thanks.

Mac_Pro_CPU_RISER.jpg

IsaacFOK

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2023
There are almost 38 temp sensors in the 6.1, unless that debug LED is for the part you are highlighting, then it could be related to an internal sensor in the CPU.

aldergood

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2023
Hi @IsaacFOK. Thanks for your reply. I have several spare cpu and have trying to swap few of them into the box but all have the same problem so I know it's not the error related to the CPU :(. I try to do my best because finding part for this mac here is almost impossible.

MisterAndrew

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2015
Portland, Ore.
If you aren’t able to send it in to Apple or an authorized service centre then I think you’ll need to replace it with another Mac. These are getting so cheap now that buying another one would cost less than having it repaired. A repair from Apple would likely range somewhere between $500 and $2000.

But that is why nobody should buy the 6,1 Mac Pro unless it has AppleCare+. If you’re on a tight budget perhaps sell it for parts and get an M2 mini or a 5,1 Mac Pro if you need to run Windows or Linux.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.