Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lcubed

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2020
Just as a final update...

So I purchased a new USB-C to DisplayPort 1.4 cable from Amazon - brand name "uni" and supports 8K@60Hz, 4K@120Hz, 2K@240Hz, 5K@120Hz, HRD, HBR3, HDR10, ARC, 32.4Gbps, FreeSync, G-Sync, MST, DSC. This cable was recommended in a forum as being compatible with the Mac Studio for connecting to a 4K DisplayPort monitor.

After running this setup for 2 weeks now I am pleased to report zero issues with the attached TB drives and the display being connected simultaneously. But initially even the "uni" cable did not work until I plugged-in the USB-C plug reversely, even though this should not matter with USB-C. It seems the Mac Studio has some rather funky UB-C ports - as also some USB-C cable plugs fit only loosely while others again are hard to plug-in. And it's definitively rather selective about which USB-C cables it will agree to work with.

sounds like a USB-C manufacturing spec issue if some fit and others don't.

brandair

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2010
Unfortunately, I must revoke my positive assessment. The spontaneous disconnection of my Acasis TB405 enclosures with raided WD Black SSD's happened again multiple times as of today. Last week I had one single disconnection. In both cases it happened after exporting images from Capture One to the external raid. Take note that C1 utilizes the GPU to great extend. But now even without using C1 I get constant disconnects when writing to the raid.

As a temporary measure, I removed the USB-C to DisplayPort 1.4 cable and replaced it with a HDMI 2.1 cable. No more raid disconnections.

I can only conclude that this is a Thunderbolt controller issue with the Mac Studio. Saturating both TB data channels and the 8Gbps DisplayPort channel at the same time apparently will crash the TB data channels. In any case, that's a rather annoying bug and limits the output options!

xavierf62

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2023
Hi,
I resolved the problem with 2 acasis TB405 thunderbolt connected to mac studio M2 Max who use USB instead thunderbolt,
I bought a powered thunderbolt dock Satechi, and now the 2 thunderbolt enclosure connects in thunderbolt PCI express ✌️ I think the thunderbolt port on mac studio are under powered and cannot send sufficient power to the enclosure, with powered dock, it s good.

bigplume

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 1, 2022
Hi,
I resolved the problem with 2 acasis TB405 thunderbolt connected to mac studio M2 Max who use USB instead thunderbolt,
I bought a powered thunderbolt dock Satechi, and now the 2 thunderbolt enclosure connects in thunderbolt PCI express ✌️ I think the thunderbolt port on mac studio are under powered and cannot send sufficient power to the enclosure, with powered dock, it s good.
Hi, I just meet the same problem, but by connection two enclosure to a dock station, they share the one port on the Mac Studio, does the speed be limited?

p_rousseau_fr75

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2024
Hi,
I'm a Mac Studio M2 Max user and I plan to get a Acasis TB405 as a secondary drive because my internal drive is almost full.
Do you know if the Mac Studio M2 Max has the same TB controller issue as M1 Max? If so, I might get the same problem as described above because my two monitors are connected via tb ports already.
Maybe I should consider getting a powered enclosure instead. Can anyone recommend something similar to TB405?

bigplume

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 1, 2022
Hi,
I'm a Mac Studio M2 Max user and I plan to get a Acasis TB405 as a secondary drive because my internal drive is almost full.
Do you know if the Mac Studio M2 Max has the same TB controller issue as M1 Max? If so, I might get the same problem as described above because my two monitors are connected via tb ports already.
Maybe I should consider getting a powered enclosure instead. Can anyone recommend something similar to TB405?
I have no idea about M2 max TB controller. Here is a link for powered enclosure, it is actually a dock + enclosure, if you use is as enclosure only, the power supply is optional, but if you have problem of TB controller, then you can power the enclosure.

Reactions: p_rousseau_fr75

xavierf62

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2023
Hi,
hi, i have a mac studio M2 MAX,
if i connect 2 TB405 directly on mac studio, only one is recognized as a thunderbolt, other connect as usb , the only solution i have found is connecting the two enclosures on thunderbolt powered HUB, i think there is no sufficient power delivered on thunderbolt port on mac studio to power 2 monitor + 2 TB SSD enclosurethe TB hub i use : https://satechi.net/products/thunderbolt-4-slim-hub

Chancha

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2014
Check this past thread on the forum, the same behaviour was already reported ever since Apple Silicon was new.
It is indeed a power-wall issue. Apple designed their hardware with such limitation, for unknown reasons. And its effects and specific limits are undocumented.

p_rousseau_fr75

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2024
Check this past thread on the forum, the same behaviour was already reported ever since Apple Silicon was new.
It is indeed a power-wall issue. Apple designed their hardware with such limitation, for unknown reasons. And its effects and specific limits are undocumented.
Hi Chancha
Thanks for the link. I haven't read all the messages yet but a question arise.
My displays are:
- Apple Thunderbolt Display connected via TB2 to USB-C TB3 adapter
- Dell P2720D connected via DP to USB-C TB3 adapter
Both displays are plugged to a 220v wall outlet. Thus I suppose that they're not powered by the USB-C cable.
Does it change anything regarding the hardware limitation issue since it's a power-wall issue as you mention above?

Chancha

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2014
Hi Chancha
Thanks for the link. I haven't read all the messages yet but a question arise.
My displays are:
- Apple Thunderbolt Display connected via TB2 to USB-C TB3 adapter
- Dell P2720D connected via DP to USB-C TB3 adapter
Both displays are plugged to a 220v wall outlet. Thus I suppose that they're not powered by the USB-C cable.
Does it change anything regarding the hardware limitation issue since it's a power-wall issue as you mention above?
What I think will happen with your scenario is, if the displays are plugged in first and second, then the third device being plugged in is a bus-powered TB NVMe enclosure, macOS likely will show the “not enough power” warning. At this moment, you may have to unplug at least one of the displays and also the drive, plug the drive back, let it finish mounting then plug in the display last.

The linked thread had multiple users (including myself) reporting similar “solutions”. The core issue is macOS somehow seems to reserve a certain pool of power for each port’s connection regardless if it ends up being really bus-powered. That is, even after correct negotiation of your displays not needing power, macOS won’t release the reserve. Therefore the order of which these devices are plugged in matter.

TzunamiOSX

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2009
Germany
I only read the first post until now

Mac Studio Max only has 4 TB ports on the back
Mac Studio Ultra has 4 TB ports on the back and 2 on front

EDIT: Ok, looks like an other problem.

Last edited:

Chancha

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2014
I did a further test on my Studio and MBP and was able to create 3 difference behaviour scenarios in terms of the order of plugging in:

M1 Max Mac Studio, Monterey

1) HDMI display
2) type-C display
3) TB4 + USB4 NVMe enclosure (mounts as TB)
4) TB3 NVMe enclosure (mounts as TB)

1) type-C display
2) type-C display
3) TB4 + USB4 NVMe enclosure (mounts as TB)
4) TB3 NVMe enclosure (does not mount, shows power warning)

1) type-C display
2) type-C display
3) TB3 NVMe enclosure (mounts as TB)
4) TB4 + USB4 NVMe enclosure (does not mount, no warning)

Of note is on a M1 Pro MBP 16" I managed similar results but with less devices, since one more is bus powered:

M1 Pro MBP 16", Ventura

1) type-C display
2) TB3 10GbE NIC
3) TB4 + USB4 NVMe enclosure (mounts as USB4 at 10Gbps)

1) type-C display
2) TB3 10GbE NIC
3) TB3 NVMe enclosure (does not mount, shows power warning)

The displays are identical and they al could show images in all tests, I just change the input from type-C to HDMI for the first test.
If I change the order and plug the displays last, none of the above problems show.

Bonus info:
I tried plugging in 3 TB bus-powered NVMe enclosures. The 3rd one absolutely does not mount until it is plugged via a powered dock first.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.