Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bluedoggiant

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 13, 2007
MD & ATL,GA
Well, so this is my family macbook, its a brand new 2.2ghz 2gb, 120gb, whitebook. i take it to school, since, well, i cant take my 24" imac:p.

so under the tables, there is a metal rim, and while i was using it on my lap, the macbook just got attracted to the metal rim!!! and god damn the magnets in the macbooks lid are VERY powerful, it caught it from very far, and i even had trouble to take the macbook off the rim of the table!! it was pretty cool, so i took a picture of it hanging from the table, check pix below:

DSC00383.jpg

(yeah, i know, looks like torture)

in my lap:
DSC00384.jpg

sorry crappy pix, quick cell pix

bluedoggiant

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 13, 2007
MD & ATL,GA
Cool man. I'm amazed that the magnets would be that powerful.

TEG

I'm surprised the HD holds up, I saw an HD basically screw up in front of me before, a guy put an extremely powerful magnet right on the HD in the macbook (not mine, his), i rushed in like 3 seconds, and took it off, it was too late, he had to reinstall tiger (at the time, now he has leopard).

roisin and mac

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2008
Gah, are you trying to give me nightmares here?! :D

Seriously though, this looks really cool, and in the first picture especially, it looks as though it's flying or something :)

It's impressive how strong the magnets are though; I have recently come to realize that you can put your Remote on the edge of your MB screen (got that by browsing the pics in one of the what's-your-setup threads here, in fact! and at first before I got a closer look I thought all the wee white rectangles were a post-it or something, heh. You learn some great stuff here). I was really impressed when I tried it, because the lid of the laptop practically leapt at the Remote! I was like, It's Alive!

Fun!

bluedoggiant

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 13, 2007
MD & ATL,GA
Gah, are you trying to give me nightmares here?! :D

Seriously though, this looks really cool, and in the first picture especially, it looks as though it's flying or something :)

It's impressive how strong the magnets are though; I have recently come to realize that you can put your Remote on the edge of your MB screen (got that by browsing the pics in one of the what's-your-setup threads here, in fact! and at first before I got a closer look I thought all the wee white rectangles were a post-it or something, heh. You learn some great stuff here). I was really impressed when I tried it, because the lid of the laptop practically leapt at the Remote! I was like, It's Alive!

Fun!

lmao, yeah, first pic is really cool, second pic is to show you what it was like when i was sitting, it scared the **** out of me in class (took the pics after), all of a sudden, the macbook kept hitting the table, then i knew, but now scratches dents or anything strangely.

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
I can hear the judge reading the sentence now...

"MacBook, in light of your crimes, you have been sentenced by a jury of your peers to be hanged by the screen until dead."

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
why do i feel that is fake. magnets are strong enough to hold up 5 pounds but its pretty easy for me to open the lid on mine. plus see as the hd is pretty close it would cause damage.

in short i dont believe it lol

bluedoggiant

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 13, 2007
MD & ATL,GA
why do i feel that is fake. magnets are strong enough to hold up 5 pounds but its pretty easy for me to open the lid on mine. plus see as the hd is pretty close it would cause damage.

As I've said, and its not fake my friend, you're just going to have to believe me, thats a sh*tty pic i took off my phone, and it is true, maybe the ledges on the macbook that is sticking out is helping, but those look worth less to help it stay attached, but in all, I didn't photoshop it or anything, for the record, I don't have photoshop:cool:[yet].

ItTakesII

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2008
Miami, FL
hahah Wow that is awesome! I would get a strong cable with some like piece of metal or something attached to the bottom then place it hanging over something and take a picture in which you can't see the cable and so the Macbook would really look as if it is levitating in midair XD

iDAG

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2007
Athens, Ohio
It looks sweet but the thought of a MacBook hanging in mid air is a very bad thought to have. What if it just fell? :eek:

bluedoggiant

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 13, 2007
MD & ATL,GA
I think I'm gonna bring in my real camera and take a good pic on monday! it would be much more pleasing to the eyes.

TheStu

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2006
Carlisle, PA

You do know that hard drives have freaking powerful magnets in them right? And it takes a massive amount of gauss to cause a hard drive to erase... more than the neodymium magnets that Apple uses can put out at least.

And, as an aside, if you want to really freak someone out... get a thin magnet that can fit in the kensington lock slot of the macbook. Put it in there, BOOM, macbook goes to sleep.

bluedoggiant

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 13, 2007
MD & ATL,GA
You do know that hard drives have freaking powerful magnets in them right? And it takes a massive amount of gauss to cause a hard drive to erase... more than the neodymium magnets that Apple uses can put out at least.

And, as an aside, if you want to really freak someone out... get a thin magnet that can fit in the kensington lock slot of the macbook. Put it in there, BOOM, macbook goes to sleep.

dont see how

but i have mentioned earlier what happened to my friends macbook.

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
The display hinges aren't designed to hold up the weight of the greater laptop. This is why manuals usually say "do not carry by the display" or something to that extent.

I probably would, like, stop doing that if I were you.

bluedoggiant

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 13, 2007
MD & ATL,GA
The display hinges aren't designed to hold up the weight of the greater laptop. This is why manuals usually say "do not carry by the display" or something to that extent.

I probably would, like, stop doing that if I were you.

well i stopped, my friend holds his macbook like that, he treats it like sh*t, you can cry from it, im not joking.

TheStu

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2006
Carlisle, PA
dont see how
Run a paperclip up and down the left side of your MacBook screen, it will get caught about 2/3s of the way up from the bottom. There is a magnet there that corresponds with a switch in the palmrest, this is what triggers the sleep mode.

but i have mentioned earlier what happened to my friends macbook.
You did, but I don't know if that was data erasing, or corruption due to the magnet being there as the drive was writing/reading.

The hanging macbook just makes me think of all the terrible things that I have done to my macbook. The best part? Still running like a champ... it has been dropped, thrown, swung around, flipped 2.5' and landed upside down, beaten, had things thrown at it (my friend did it without realizing... still wondering how it failed to notice the big white laptop on his green couch), water has sprayed all over it, scratched, and basically used constantly for the past 1.5 years. I only shut it down when I absolutely need to, and always have things running... best computer I think I have ever owned.

acfusion29

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2007
Toronto
PEOPLE!! It's HDD, not HD.

HDD is hard drive
HD is high definition

now learn the right acronym before you use it
(sorry this really bothers me, people keep saying HD when they mean HDD, but they just don't know the proper term. And don't say its the same thing, cause really..... it's not.)

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
PEOPLE!! It's HDD, not HD.

HDD is hard drive
HD is high definition

now learn the right acronym before you use it
(sorry this really bothers me, people keep saying HD when they mean HDD, but they just don't know the proper term. And don't say its the same thing, cause really..... it's not.)

Yeah, sorry, no one says hard disk drive in real life. High-Definition anything hasn't permeated into our lives enough yet to necessitate a difference.

So keep magnets away from your HDs, kids.

bluedoggiant

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 13, 2007
MD & ATL,GA
Yeah, sorry, no one says hard disk drive in real life. High-Definition anything hasn't permeated into our lives enough yet to necessitate a difference.

So keep magnets away from your HDs, kids.

Take it from someone whose seen...it happen.

Impressive, but did it really happen? ;)

Yes, it was bothering me in class, it took me like 5 minutes to realize it was the magnets:p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.