Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wedge234

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 23, 2008
San Francisco
So I popped a CD into my brand new macbook, and now it won't eject. It will start to eject, but the CD doesn't even break the seal and the little motor reverses itself and re-inserts the CD. It reads the CD just fine, but it just won't let go. Any advice? I'm gonna let the "geniuses" have a crack at it tonight, but am I missing something?

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
It sounds like the bezel is just slightly off set. You will need to have a genius or authorized repair center look at it, as opening the machine may void your warranty.

TEG

wedge234

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 23, 2008
San Francisco
It sounds like the bezel is just slightly off set. You will need to have a genius or authorized repair center look at it, as opening the machine may void your warranty.

TEG

of course, I wouldn't dream of opening this thing up anything past the battery/memory. I'll leave that to the pros.

DesignerOnMac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2007
So I popped a CD into my brand new macbook, and now it won't eject. It will start to eject, but the CD doesn't even break the seal and the little motor reverses itself and re-inserts the CD. It reads the CD just fine, but it just won't let go. Any advice? I'm gonna let the "geniuses" have a crack at it tonight, but am I missing something?

Did you try rebooting and holding down the EJECT Key while the macbbok boots?

wedge234

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 23, 2008
San Francisco
The guys at the apple store took care of it. Apparently the guide track got out of whack (they were saying it actually happens quite a bit, and can happen if a book or something thin rubs against it). They had it fixed in about 10 minutes. Exactly as how you posted, SFStatestudent.

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
Good onya'...

The guys at the apple store took care of it. Apparently the guide track got out of whack (they were saying it actually happens quite a bit, and can happen if a book or something thin rubs against it). They had it fixed in about 10 minutes. Exactly as how you posted, SFStatestudent.

I'm glad they took care of it in "10 minutes" makes me feel all warm inside! Now give your MB a good iKlear rubdown, I'm certain He/She has earned it! LOL :p:cool:

wedge234

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 23, 2008
San Francisco
argh! I didnt notice this until this morning, but when they fixed my computer they did a number to the side of my computer there's now scratches all over the side of the computer along the drive and the little felt things are all dirty and matted down now. Not only scratches, but now the edges of the drive are all pitted from where they stuck whatever tool they used into the drive. It's all completely cosmetic, but I can't believe how much damage they did to it yesterday. Back to the apple store, I guess. :(

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
That's messed up...

argh! I didnt notice this until this morning, but when they fixed my computer they did a number to the side of my computer there's now scratches all over the side of the computer along the drive and the little felt things are all dirty and matted down now. Not only scratches, but now the edges of the drive are all pitted from where they stuck whatever tool they used into the drive. It's all completely cosmetic, but I can't believe how much damage they did to it yesterday. Back to the apple store, I guess. :(

Keep us posted and if that doesn't work, fill out the Apple Customer Service Questionnaire online! :mad:

wedge234

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 23, 2008
San Francisco
Keep us posted and if that doesn't work, fill out the Apple Customer Service Questionnaire online! :mad:

I called up the store and spoke with a manager (it's the one on market and stockton, by the way). He said that it was disappointing and unacceptable, and that if I bring it by he would just swap it out with a new one. I can deal with that. :) :apple:

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
You dah MON or woMON...

I called up the store and spoke with a manager (it's the one on market and stockton, by the way). He said that it was disappointing and unacceptable, and that if I bring it by he would just swap it out with a new one. I can deal with that. :) :apple:

I'm not taking sides. Way to go; keep us posted on the results. Here's the questionnaire in case they don't send one to you!

http://www.apple.com/retail/feedback/

You dun good! (I love that Apple Store, it's one of my favorites) :D

wedge234

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 23, 2008
San Francisco
I have my new macbook right now. It went fairly painless at the store, the manager that took care of me was a different guy than the one I talked to on the phone, but he was already briefed about the situation. He took me behind the counter, grabbed a new macbook box, opened it up and swapped me computers and even updated my applecare warranty by enrolling the new computer under the new plan. A bit of a scare happened with the new one as it started to boot but the screen didn't come on, but that was chalked up to a drained battery, and a quick 2 minute recharge solved that right away. All in all, it went pretty quick painless, and was out in about 20 minutes with the new computer.

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
Alright...

I have my new macbook right now. It went fairly painless at the store, the manager that took care of me was a different guy than the one I talked to on the phone, but he was already briefed about the situation. He took me behind the counter, grabbed a new macbook box, opened it up and swapped me computers and even updated my applecare warranty by enrolling the new computer under the new plan. A bit of a scare happened with the new one as it started to boot but the screen didn't come on, but that was chalked up to a drained battery, and a quick 2 minute recharge solved that right away. All in all, it went pretty quick painless, and was out in about 20 minutes with the new computer.

Wedge! Were you able to get the data transferred in the store? Or did you just get it home as soon as possible and do the external hard drive thingy? U Dun Good! :p

wedge234

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 23, 2008
San Francisco
Wedge! Were you able to get the data transferred in the store? Or did you just get it home as soon as possible and do the external hard drive thingy? U Dun Good! :p

I'm gonna do the data transfer myself. I migrated from PC to mac, so I still have my PC tower and external at home, so all I need to do is just copy everything over. I elected to do it myself because they said it would take 24 hours in store. I already copied some of my stuff while at work on to DVDs, so all that's left is music to copy over.

Thanks for the support on this. My hats off to Mac management for taking care of this right away.

TooFastForLove

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2007
Canada
Okay, I have a question directly related to this:

I had this happen to my iMac a few months ago. I took it in to an Authorized Repair Shop and they charged me 45 dollars for the half hour it took to take it up to the workshop and fix it.

I told them it was a practically brand new computer WITH AppleCare, and they said "unless it's a hardware failure or malfunction, its not covered and you have to pay".

Doesn't this sound like hardware malfunction to you?? I can't believe I got charged for it.

</vent>

efp722

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2008
Philly
Okay, I have a question directly related to this:

I had this happen to my iMac a few months ago. I took it in to an Authorized Repair Shop and they charged me 45 dollars for the half hour it took to take it up to the workshop and fix it.

I told them it was a practically brand new computer WITH AppleCare, and they said "unless it's a hardware failure or malfunction, its not covered and you have to pay".

Doesn't this sound like hardware malfunction to you?? I can't believe I got charged for it.

</vent>

is there a reason why you didn't go to the apple store? do you not have one near you? I'm not to sure but it sounds like they were just trying to get your money/buisness by telling you that nonsense..

TooFastForLove

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2007
Canada
is there a reason why you didn't go to the apple store? do you not have one near you? I'm not to sure but it sounds like they were just trying to get your money/buisness by telling you that nonsense..

I'm on the East Coast of Canada (Halifax, NS to be exact) so no Apple Stores unfortunately :(

Oh well. I've spoken to another place and they agreed that it was stupid, so I don't plan on returning to the previous shop....

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
I did the in-store transfer and it took.

I'm gonna do the data transfer myself. I migrated from PC to mac, so I still have my PC tower and external at home, so all I need to do is just copy everything over. I elected to do it myself because they said it would take 24 hours in store. I already copied some of my stuff while at work on to DVDs, so all that's left is music to copy over.

Thanks for the support on this. My hats off to Mac management for taking care of this right away.

about one hour, but that was b/c there wasn't a waiting list. I'm totally pumped that you got your new MB home safely. :cool::p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.