Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yuri-p

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 9, 2017
Hi guys, sorry my bad English...
I have MacBookPro13,3. Today I am updated my macOS 10.13b6 to 10.13b8
I do not know what version was before, but now:
Boot ROM: MBP133.0233.B00
SMC: 2.38f7

After the update I have stopped charging the macbook.
When I plug in the charging cable, the icon changes and shows that the charging is on, but the percentages fall down even when the wire is connected.
Снимок экрана 2017-09-10 в 01.08.50.png

And System Info in "Power"
Снимок экрана 2017-09-10 в 01.15.35.png

I have already returned to 10.12 Sierra but the problem has remained.
Maybe it's because of the update Boot ROM and/or SMC?

From time to time, taking many times the cable from the ports, changing them in places, removing the power supply from the outlet and inserting it back - it does not start charging the laptop for a long time. But after 10-20 minutes, it stops charging again ...

I do not have, for the test, another power supply or usb-c cable! They are also not in stores, you need to order via the Internet and wait 3 days.

PS. Yes, I reset SMC and NVRAM many times... No result

mikecwest

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2013
Hi guys, sorry my bad English...
I have MacBookPro13,3. Today I am updated my macOS 10.13b6 to 10.13b8
I do not know what version was before, but now:
Boot ROM: MBP133.0233.B00
SMC: 2.38f7

After the update I have stopped charging the macbook.
When I plug in the charging cable, the icon changes and shows that the charging is on, but the percentages fall down even when the wire is connected.
View attachment 716633
And System Info in "Power"
View attachment 716634

I have already returned to 10.12 Sierra but the problem has remained.
Maybe it's because of the update Boot ROM and/or SMC?

From time to time, taking many times the cable from the ports, changing them in places, removing the power supply from the outlet and inserting it back - it does not start charging the laptop for a long time. But after 10-20 minutes, it stops charging again ...

I do not have, for the test, another power supply or usb-c cable! They are also not in stores, you need to order via the Internet and wait 3 days.

PS. Yes, I reset SMC and NVRAM many times... No result

Can you go to an Apple Store, and plug it into a display model? I have done this before when I left my charger at home by mistake.....

If you have a Starbucks, or something similar near your home, there area ALWAYS a dozen people with MacBooks hanging around for the free WiFi.... As one if you can use their charger for a bit while they sit there. (I did that before, I looked for a person who had a green light on the MBP charger.. (Magsafe)

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
OP would not have a light on his charger - USB 3, not magsafe, so no light.

@Yuri-p - If you turn OFF your MBPro, then plug in the charger, leave your MBPro charge overnight, with power off.
Do you get a full charge then?

Yuri-p

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 9, 2017
@mikecwest :) I live in a small city in Ukraine, I wrote that throughout the city I can not find charging in services, either in the store, or in people.

@DeltaMac I'm going to try now. But it seems to me that no, since it started 1 day ago and in the sleep mode% left, although he was on the charge.

Yuri-p

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 9, 2017
OP would not have a light on his charger - USB 3, not magsafe, so no light.

@Yuri-p - If you turn OFF your MBPro, then plug in the charger, leave your MBPro charge overnight, with power off.
Do you get a full charge then?
I turn OFF my MBPro, he stood on the charge for 3 hours. As a result -2% (minus two) :(

mikecwest

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2013
@mikecwest :) I live in a small city in Ukraine, I wrote that throughout the city I can not find charging in services, either in the store, or in people.

@DeltaMac I'm going to try now. But it seems to me that no, since it started 1 day ago and in the sleep mode% left, although he was on the charge.

Ok, I have never been to Ukraine, so I didn’t know. I just know that every Starbucks Coffee I have se foot in, there are always people with a MacBook of some variation. I once had my charging tip of my charger hanging out my door into the street for 360 miles (579 km)...It obviously didn’t work anymore, some college age Asian girl, let me use her charger at Starbucks until my work was done (about forty five minutes)....the next day I was able to buy a new one. I am sorry that is not an option for you.

I have never used a MacBook with a USB-C charger, it is possible to charge it by plugging it into another USB port on a computer, or maybe the USB port in your Car ?

I have found this, you might be able to find something similar at a local flea market, or electronics store.:

http://mashable.com/2015/04/13/apple-new-macbook-external-battery-charging/#dRSU5IPowsqT

I think you might be able to use that same cable in a standard USB charging port (like the cigarette lighter socket one, or wall) I would recommend one high high amp ratings though.

Reactions: Buggyflayer

Yuri-p

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 9, 2017
I have never used a MacBook with a USB-C charger, it is possible to charge it by plugging it into another USB port on a computer, or maybe the USB port in your Car ?
I have hakintosh, i did not even know that there is usb-c... :) Thanks, the macbook really charges!
Now it is clear that this is not because of the beta High Sierra. I will test, try to charge up to 100, discharge and re-charge with the help of Hakintosh!

It's cool idea, Thanks!

mikecwest

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2013
I have hakintosh, i did not even know that there is usb-c... :) Thanks, the macbook really charges!
Now it is clear that this is not because of the beta High Sierra. I will test, try to charge up to 100, discharge and re-charge with the help of Hakintosh!

It's cool idea, Thanks!

I am glad that it worked for you.

Yuri-p

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 9, 2017
I'm at a loss.
I have a new power supply, the MacBook is not charging. To the new power supply I bought a new cable USB-C, the MacBook is not charging! The Originals!!!!

On the same two cables, I can charge the MacBook from the USB-C connector of the hackintosh. In this case, does not feel any problems at all, except that the port gives out only 15W and to full charge long time.

mikecwest

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2013
Did you replace only USB-C cable, or did yo replace the "power block" that plugs into the wall?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
But, both your new USB cable, and your original cable will charge when you connect your MacBook to your hackintosh?
If you can charge your MacBook while it is connected to the hackintosh --- then there is some issue with the power brick that you bought, or the power outlet where you plug that in.

Did you try THAT power supply in a different electrical outlet? For example, plug in to the same power outlet that your hackintosh uses.

Finally, try your MacBook at the shop where you purchased your new USB-C cable and power supply...

Yuri-p

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 9, 2017
But, both your new USB cable, and your original cable will charge when you connect your MacBook to your hackintosh?
If you can charge your MacBook while it is connected to the hackintosh --- then there is some issue with the power brick that you bought, or the power outlet where you plug that in.

Did you try THAT power supply in a different electrical outlet? For example, plug in to the same power outlet that your hackintosh uses.

Finally, try your MacBook at the shop where you purchased your new USB-C cable and power supply...
Yes, my hakintosh charges!

I tested in the store of course! In other outlets! No result!
Now I have 2 power supplies and 2 cables (new and with a complete MacBook), both power supplies do not charge!

Everything is in the topic header, screenshots. When the power supply is connected to a power outlet - the charging icon is changing, but not as it should be ...

Barking mad

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2017
Yes, my hakintosh charges!

I tested in the store of course! In other outlets! No result!
Now I have 2 power supplies and 2 cables (new and with a complete MacBook), both power supplies do not charge!

Everything is in the topic header, screenshots. When the power supply is connected to a power outlet - the charging icon is changing, but not as it should be ...

Ok I will bite have you tried plugging a lamp into the power outlet does it work ?

What you are saying makes no sense you can charge from a pc but not from anywhere else , did it charge when you tested in the shop ?

Yuri-p

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 9, 2017
Ok I will bite have you tried plugging a lamp into the power outlet does it work ?

What you are saying makes no sense you can charge from a pc but not from anywhere else , did it charge when you tested in the shop ?

Yes, I tried 10 outlets, included other devices in them...
I would not write here, if it were not so strange! I, too, can not understand what the problem is, when I started charging the macbook from the PC, I was 100% in sure, which broke my power supply!

I can make a video!? Or take a photo of the whole process and the result! You can believe that everything is exactly as I describe.
If this could only help to solve the problem ...

mikecwest

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2013
in Ukraine, do you need special adapter to plug in power block? Do you have 110V or 220V? Is your power block made for your power system there in Ukraine?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Your MacBookPro13,3 needs an 87-watt power supply.
If you can't get your MBPro to charge from that, but it DOES work from the USB port on your hackintosh --- and you use the same cable that you bought new to charge from the hackintosh, then there's really only one fix. You need the correct 87 watt power supply. Apparently, yours is not working.

Yuri-p

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 9, 2017
Your MacBookPro13,3 needs an 87-watt power supply.
If you can't get your MBPro to charge from that, but it DOES work from the USB port on your hackintosh --- and you use the same cable that you bought new to charge from the hackintosh, then there's really only one fix. You need the correct 87 watt power supply. Apparently, yours is not working.
I bought a new power supply for 87W, original, for Ukraine! Not charge!
[doublepost=1505325537][/doublepost]
in Ukraine, do you need special adapter to plug in power block? Do you have 110V or 220V? Is your power block made for your power system there in Ukraine?
I bought a new power supply for 87W, original, for Ukraine special! There are no nuances!

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
So, no charging with the correct power brick.
But, you can plug the SAME cable into the USB port on your hackintosh, and you get charging?

(I know nothing about what sort of shops you have in Ukraine --- so I will ask the dumb questions :D )
Did you buy that part at an Apple-authorized retailer, or an actual Apple-owned store?
I bet you have bought a cheap knock-off that LOOKS like a correct power supply, but not.

Is there ANY service help in that shop for Apple equipment? Maybe the shop can discover the problem

Yuri-p

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 9, 2017
So, no charging with the correct power brick.
But, you can plug the SAME cable into the USB port on your hackintosh, and you get charging?
Yes!

(I know nothing about what sort of shops you have in Ukraine --- so I will ask the dumb questions :D )
Did you buy that part at an Apple-authorized retailer, or an actual Apple-owned store?
I bet you have bought a cheap knock-off that LOOKS like a correct power supply, but not.

Is there ANY service help in that shop for Apple equipment? Maybe the shop can discover the problem

I bought in Apple-authorized retailer, 110$ for power brick 87w!
Unfortunately, with the services everything in Ukraine is bad!

We have one authorized service. The first time the MacBook was discharged badly and did not turn on, I thought that it broke and sent it to the service. They tested it for 3 weeks and found nothing, or rather said that the MacBook burned, it is necessary to change the motherboard - $ 1400 will cost, the guarantee allegedly does not work!

I refused, I came home, put it right on the charge - and it charged up to 100%. I was shocked, I was told that it is broken and can not be repaired! 3 days everything was fine, the laptop was charged without problems. The problem started 3 days ago when the macOS 10.13 beta 8 came!

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
But ---- you can plug it in right now to your hackintosh, and charging works?

Now, it all makes sense.
There is a partial short on the USB bus (or the charging circuit), on the logic board.
Plug in a power brick, and the USB draws power on the edge of over-current. That would explain why it works for a while.
The over-current eventually causes the internal circuit breaker in the brick to open (so no charging). That MIGHT reset if you unplug the power brick from the wall for 30 minutes or so (or blows out that power brick, with no reset possible)
Will either of your bricks work to charge another Macbook Pro (you could try that at the Apple shop)?

And, the USB port on the motherboard of the hackintosh has different power requirements, and may accept a higher current than the 87-watt brick, just enough to keep THAT hackintosh USB port on line, but causes a power loss on the brick.

You will need to spend some money to fix this, either by repairing the logic board, if you are lucky enough to live near a shop that knows what they are doing with circuit board repairs (considerably less cost to repair than replace the logic board) --- or, have the Apple shop replace the logic board.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.