Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
Hello,

So I've owned my MacBook Pro for a few years now. It is the non-touchbar version 13 inch of the MacBook Pro's released in 2017 and I'm very surprised because today for the first time in years of owning this wonderful MBP, the fans turned on loudly. And by loudly I mean they spun really loud. And to my surprise the bottom of my MBP was warmer than warm.

In the past few years of owning this MBP, sure it's gotten a little warm, but never close to hot. I've exported and edited video files in iMovie and streamed high quality 4K videos and put GarageBand through its paces.

Well, I guess to the point...today is the first time since I've owned this MBP that I downloaded GOOGLE CHROME and DOWNLOADED GOOGLE EARTH and I'm led to believe this is the reason why the MBP got so hot just now. I've owned several MacBooks before in the past, including the polycarbonate and unibody version and they've gotten warm before but I really believed that to be a thing of the past.

I guess im wondering if what I've heard the past many years is true in wondering if GOOGLE CHROME really is a RAM hog; or if it was simply Google Earth (which isn't supported in Safari)? I've quit Google Chrome and the Mac is now back to normal; if the fans are on I certainly can't hear or feel them.

benshive

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2017
United States
Chrome is definitely more resource hungry than Safari. It's normal for the fans to spin up like that. I find that it happens more when using software not developed by Apple. For instance, my fans spin up to around 6k rpm every time I update my Office 365 apps. Completely normal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.