Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alexshimp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2007
Hi, I just recently bought a new mac book, and for some reason it shocks me when I touch the sides of the computer... i.e. my wrists get a small electrical shock.... does anyone know why this is happening? its quite annoying when you spend so much money for a computer and it does that....

TheStu

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2006
Carlisle, PA
I would suggest taking it back to an Apple Store and getting it replaced. It doesn't matter why it is happening, because you probably should not fix whatever is causing it.

aimfire

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2007
Sunnyvale, CA
Oh, that is kinda weird...

Where are you using it? Could be some electrical grounding issues in your house. Try plugging it into a different electrical outlet in another room, or at a friend's house and see if you still get the shocks...

If so, then yes, definitely return it!

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
Hi, I just recently bought a new mac book, and for some reason it shocks me when I touch the sides of the computer... i.e. my wrists get a small electrical shock.... does anyone know why this is happening? its quite annoying when you spend so much money for a computer and it does that....

Are you using the power cord with a grounder(ie, third pin)? This might be the cause if you're not.

Alexshimp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2007
Are you using the power cord with a grounder(ie, third pin)? This might be the cause if you're not.

I think that may be it. I will try it... hrm

... one more thing, I am coming from a pc, is it normal to have the feeling that things run a bit slower on a mac? Like firefox and office....

just wondering...

triddent222

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2007
Somewhere interesting
I think that may be it. I will try it... hrm

... one more thing, I am coming from a pc, is it normal to have the feeling that things run a bit slower on a mac? Like firefox and office....

just wondering...

If your mac is working properly, it should be really speedy. Firefox is slow no matter where you use it (at least in my opinion). That's why I use Camino. As of Office, it should get faster as you use it (plus I dont think it's an Universal Binary, so that might make it slower as well...)

Anyways, no it shouldn't feel slower.

Alexshimp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2007
If your mac is working properly, it should be really speedy. Firefox is slow no matter where you use it (at least in my opinion). That's why I use Camino. As of Office, it should get faster as you use it (plus I dont think it's an Universal Binary, so that might make it slower as well...)

Anyways, no it shouldn't feel slower.

I think its just mainly those 2 programs.... the new office should be better, whenever that comes out..

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007

just wondering...

Firefox does run slower for me. However, it's only slightly slower than Safari. As for Office, that's because it's going through Rosetta.

ClassicBean

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2004
Torontoland
What does Rosetta have to do with it tho?

Rosetta works in the background to allow you to run programs that were designed to work on PPC computers, not Intel. While programs run decently, they aren't running at full speed because Rosetta is working in the background to sort of translate everything. Programs that are 'Universal' work at full speed. But the current office is not yet universal.

http://www.apple.com/rosetta/

Alexshimp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2007
Rosetta works in the background to allow you to run programs that were designed to work on PPC computers, not Intel. While programs run decently, they aren't running at full speed because Rosetta is working in the background to sort of translate everything. Programs that are 'Universal' work at full speed. But the current office is not yet universal.

http://www.apple.com/rosetta/

Thanks for the explanation. I guess I will have to wait for the new office :)

Alexshimp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2007
Just got Camino, seems great, but i was wondering if there is anything like Firebug for Camino?

TheStu

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2006
Carlisle, PA
I would recommend that you at least take a look at NeoOffice (free) or iWork ($80) for your office needs. Much cheaper than MS Office, and for the most part, they are just as capable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.