Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

femto1510

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2011
First of all, I love my MB.
But really, after getting LION, everything is so buggy and slow.
I'm using Macbook (2010 summer) btw.
I've tried almost everything I think I can do.

Could anybody please give me a tip to make my MB faster? please??

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2010
located
To not feed you information you already tried, thus avoiding running in circles, can you please inform us about the steps you have already tried?

image below uses sorting by CPU as an example
Acitivty_Monitor.png

Further reading:
______________________________________________________​

femto1510

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2011
Here are the stuff I tried.

First, I re-installed for several times, played with "disk utilities", and virus-scans. I'm using iCleanMemory, but i don't think it really helps.

nicklad

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2007
Nottingham, UK
First of all, I love my MB.
But really, after getting LION, everything is so buggy and slow.
I'm using Macbook (2010 summer) btw.
I've tried almost everything I think I can do.

Could anybody please give me a tip to make my MB faster? please??

Ensure you've got 4GB of RAM, preferably 8GB.

Have you actually clean installed Lion? Where you format the hard disk in Disk Utility before reinstalling it after booting from a Lion DVD / USB stick.

Nov 28, 2010
located
First, I re-installed for several times, played with "disk utilities", and virus-scans. I'm using iCleanMemory, but i don't think it really helps.

What does Activity Monitor say about CPU usage and RAM usage? Use the screenshot I provided as guide on how to read Activity Monitor.
Virus scans are also not needed.
There are currently no viruses for Mac OS X in public circulation, only a handful of trojans and other malware, which have to be installed manually via entering the administrator password.
The only anti-virus you need to protect your Mac is education and common sense.
Also know, that the term "virus" is often used to refer to other kinds of malware, but there are differences, which you can find out by reading the following:

Mac Virus/Malware Info by GGJstudios

femto1510

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2011
Activity Monitor

CPU: numbers fluctuate but around 5% on both %users and %systems, and around 90% on idle.

System Memory:
Free - 63.6 MB
Wired - 577.6 MB
Active - 574.1 MB
Inactive - 831.2 MB
Used - 1.94 GB

VM size: 149.91 GB
Page ins: 2.80 GB (0 bytes/s)
Page outs: 2.58 GB (0 bytes/s)
Swap used: 709.3 MB

[Sorry, I couldn't find the way to upload the screenshot.]

Last edited:

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
CPU: numbers fluctuate but around 5% on both %users and %systems, and around 90% on idle.

System Memory:
Free - 63.6 MB
Wired - 577.6 MB
Active - 574.1 MB
Inactive - 831.2 MB
Used - 1.94 GB

VM size: 149.91 GB
Page ins: 2.80 GB (0 bytes/s)
Page outs: 2.58 GB (0 bytes/s)
Swap used: 709.3 MB

[Sorry, I couldn't find the way to upload the screenshot.]

you are running out of RAM you only have 2GB installed and thats the bare bones min for Lion, i would go right to 8GB since it wont be much more money than 4GB

femto1510

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2011
Upgrade my RAM?

So do you mean that OS Lion is kind of too heavy for my Macbook with 2GB, but it would be a lot better if I can upgrade it to 8GB?

you are running out of RAM you only have 2GB installed and thats the bare bones min for Lion, i would go right to 8GB since it wont be much more money than 4GB

nicklad

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2007
Nottingham, UK
So do you mean that OS Lion is kind of too heavy for my Macbook with 4GB, but it would be a lot better if I can upgrade it to 8GB?

4GB is usually fine, but (prima facie) based on your usage patterns / what you're running, you need 8GB.

It could well be that you've got background processes running that are unnecessary - by identifying what's using the memory you have (look at all processes in the Activity Monitor) you can make an informed decision as to what to do.

femto1510

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2011
Thanks!!

It really helped that I know, FINALLY, what was wrong with my MB.
Thanks!
4GB is usually fine, but (prima facie) based on your usage patterns / what you're running, you need 8GB.

It could well be that you've got background processes running that are unnecessary - by identifying what's using the memory you have (look at all processes in the Activity Monitor) you can make an informed decision as to what to do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.